Is it possible to get through Menopause without weight gain? If so please share your secrets!

Good morning everyone! I posted this in the introduction forum. I am here (again) because I have a huge problem with my sugar and food intake and I need to get a handle on it before it destroys my health and mental well being! I am 54 years old and hit the big "M" last year so things have been slowly going downhill for me. I crave sugar like nobody's business and have been unable to successfully control it on my own. I have heard that some women gain a tremendous amount of weight during this transition in their lives and I don't want to be one of them! I would love to have some lady friends that are experiencing this dreaded life change that nobody talks about so that we can support each other along the way. If anyone is fighting the menopause battle and has won, please let me know your secret! TIA!

Replies

• saggynaggy65
    saggynaggy65 Posts: 68 Member
    edited January 2020
    mlt2908 yes that is exactly what I have heard, that menopause weight gain is different and it does go directly to our tummies! I'm here too to try and do some damage control! Good luck on your journey! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • SoundsAwesome
    SoundsAwesome Posts: 2 Member
    Oh gosh...yes it does seem to go to your gut. Though I am getting it all over, in places that I never seemed to have issues with before. I have never craved sugar/sweets like I have been in the last year. Also just the need to be constantly eating is something that I am going through and it is pure hell. Thank you for bringing this up @dmkumhyr . It seems to be incredibly hard to get this weight to drop off.
  • saggynaggy65
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Most women I know did not gain weight at menopause. That is a falsehood. What DOES happen with many women is that the change in hormones can change how your body stores its fat reserves. Basically, women frequently lose some fat from the breasts and the hips and gain some around the waist (which can make it look like they gained weight). Your best bet if you are currently at a weight you like is to monitor your intake to stay at maintenance levels and incorporate exercise, especially weight bearing exercise to keep the bones strong. Strengthening your core can also help keep your midsection from looking soft.

I actually lost weight at menopause. It was the easiest time I ever had because I no longer had hormones cycling with the accompanying PMS, cravings, and general weirdness.

Wow...that's funny, most women that I talked to said that they had gained weight. I haven't gained any yet, but I will if I don't get my cravings for carbs under control.
  • saggynaggy65
    Thank you for your unbiased opinion and helpful advice annPT77. <3 I will try the fruit for my sweet cravings! Btw, you look amazing @ 64 :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    dmkumhyr wrote: »
    Thank you for your unbiased opinion and helpful advice annPT77. <3 I will try the fruit for my sweet cravings! Btw, you look amazing @ 64 :)

Aw, thanks! Truth in advertising: That was around age 60, shortly after weight loss. I don't think I look lots different now, though: Activity level still about the same.

BTW: I had to edit my previous post. I originally typed that muscle was less metabolically active than fat: The opposite is true, of course. :)
  • AprilFlowersinPA1
    AprilFlowersinPA1 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for this post. I'm not so sure that menopause is completely to blame for gaining weight, at least not for me. I have been on the thin side my entire life and that was probably because I smoked instead of ate. Well, when I finally quit 3years ago that is when I gained 8 lbs that i STILL can't seem to get rid of! I know 8 lbs doesn't sound like a lot, I'm 5'4 (current weight is 131) but I'm very uncomfortable; I've gone up a size in clothes and I just don't feel good about how I look.

I agree with the posters who say we're probably less active, at least I know I am- I still work out at the gym, I lift heavy weights and do cardio generally about 3x a week but if I'm honest, I'm not working the cardio as hard as I could.

I feel your pain @dmkumhyr with the sweets and carbs - and I feel like I'm always hungry and nothing really satisfies me. I go back and forth with "I'm 63, I'm tired of denying myself good food or drinks" to "..i hate how i feel.."

• saggynaggy65
    Thank you for sharing AprilFlowersinPA1 :) That is how I feel too! Love my carbs and sweet things! I'm sure everything in moderation would be ideal, that is if one can moderate! ;)
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    I've been dealing with it since 50....the hot flashes, sleep issues and other personal issues (picture a desert with tumble weeds - nuff said) finally drove me to discuss it all with my OB-Gyn. He agreed that I was a candidate for HRT - use a creme with a very low dose of hormones. It helped. I joined MFP to deal with the weight gain when my metabolism came to a screeching halt. And I have really upped my workouts. It will never be easy but its doable and it does get better. Don't deny yourself sweets just log them all and get moving asap. My issue is the nightly wine or cocktail - which I am really cutting back on to get down to my goal weight, but not completely cutting out. I run to eat and drink lol! Feel free to friend me B)
  • saggynaggy65
    edited January 2020
    Paperpudding anecdotal evidence n=1.

Did not gain weight at menopause.

Gained weight gradually over 10 years or so pre menopause - so called middle age spread.

Started weight loss in Jan 2013, then age 49 and pre menopausal. Lost 10 kg in 10 months to get to healthy BMI.
    Then maintained weight, still logging ( albeit mostly in loose approximations ) from then on.
    Last period in August 2018, then aged 54.
    The amount of calories needed for maitenance did not change from Nov 2013, when I reached goal weight, to now, over 6 years later despite starting before menopause and now being clearly past it.

PS as an aside, nothing much else changed either - I have the same job working at around the same hours, the same finances, lifestyle etc - which also supports Ann's theory that lifestyle changes account for more of this common weight gain than hormonal changes

PPS as another aside, I don't find menopause to be some taboo subject nobody talks about nor a 'dreaded life change'
    Certainly a common topic talked about on these forums and IME ( which, yes, I realise isn't everyone's) nothing much changed at all - except of course no more periods and some minor hot flushes. Mildly annoying more than dreadful, to me.

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. My symptoms are a living hell and so are a lot of other women's! Nobody I know ever talked about menopause or told me about the symptoms of menopause so I don't agree with you there. I actually find your remarks to my post rather snide than helpful.
  • saggynaggy65
    FYI I changed my username from dmkumhyr to saggynaggy65. 😉 Thank you so much for those who offered positive support!