Expected creep, got a jump!

I've been in maintenance for the past couple of years and my weight has not budged much out of the 134-136 range at all. Since last fall I transitioned out of logging and tracking my cals and had success. December I started an 8 week strength program with the understanding that I'd keep doing the intuitive food thing and was also doing well with that. I was expecting to gain some weight but had no idea what that would look like, but was sort of holding steady around 135 until this last week, week 7 of my planned 8, when the scale is just going up and up. 135 / 136.9 / 136.3 / 137.4 / 137.4 and today 138.1

The program itself is progressive with reps and recommended RPE and I am adding weight where I think I can. I measured at week 1 and last week I had an extra 1/4" on biceps and 1/2" on my thighs. I do have some bloating going on that I can't figure out and am just waiting for it to do its thing. I am eating pretty well, more calories I think but not straight 3lbs worth. I'm aware a lot of people's weight varies this much frequently but mine has typically not. I guess I'm looking for opinions and reassurance. Having got so locked into the weight loss game and having the positive reinforcement from being successful and predictable, it's proving hard to change gears. One minute I can see that inches gained of course means ounces and pounds too, and lifting heavy and pushing myself means water retention for repair, but then in other moments I worry that I'm kidding myself and finding convenient excuses for weigh gain.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    If it's only an 8 week program and you're already on Week 7 then maybe give it another couple of week before worrying. When I have run progressive lifting plans whilst training for rowing races, I've found the water weight sticks around for weeks on end, it's only when I stick at a weight level on my strength training for a while that it drops off.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    You've basically gained 2lbs in 2 months after starting a lifting program. Most likely that's water retention.

I would definitely re-start logging and weighing food. If you are intuitively eating...your hunger level with lifting maybe creeping up and causing a slow creep in calories.

Start taking measurements. I wish I had started my lifting life with accurate body measurments. I'm about 10lbs heavier, but smaller in some areas and swoler in others (anecdotal observation). Wish I had concrete evidence for peace of mind!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I was planning to just run the whole program again, as I do like it and I am increasing in strength, in and of itself. I have been writing down my food in my journal but I have been freer with oil when cooking, and some snacking. I'm reining that in but will properly log a week maybe and see what I see.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    You've basically gained 2lbs in 2 months after starting a lifting program. Most likely that's water retention.

I would definitely re-start logging and weighing food. If you are intuitively eating...your hunger level with lifting maybe creeping up and causing a slow creep in calories.

Start taking measurements. I wish I had started my lifting life with accurate body measurments. I'm about 10lbs heavier, but smaller in some areas and swoler in others (anecdotal observation). Wish I had concrete evidence for peace of mind!

This made me laugh, cuz I feel this!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I have week one measurements and did some casual checks, no big changes except the fractions of inches mentioned but I am stronger. I'll log this a week and measure end of next when I'm through the 8 weeks.

Thanks everyone, I know this isn't really a weight lifting issue, more a mental one.
  • i_fraser11
    i_fraser11 Posts: 35 Member
    This title got me thinking you’d been approach by a creeper and you were giving people a heads-up!😂😅
  • Well, I fell victim to panicking about a bloat. A couple of days after posting, things started to go down and then last two days my weight normalised back to pre-freak-out levels. I realised it was mad bloat after posting, I put my watch on the usual tightness I use to work out and my wrist was bulging out around it and it felt badly tight as opposed to usually snug. No idea what caused all the retention, certainly not something I've seen before. I'll add the data to my set :smile:

I have a bloat going on at the moment, you are not alone. I have also had a small unintentional gain since December. I think it will settle down. Hormones etc.