• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    AriesFL wrote: »
    That’s an awesome looking store.

They were so cool.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Gregzy182 wrote: »
    So is anyone else looking forward to the new ST Picard??
    I also want to see the Short treks but being from the uk it hard to get a hold if them 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

5djs5tymg4kb.jpg

Yes, though I am feeling a little salty that I have to pay for CBS Access to watch it. Does anyone know if CBS Access has commercials?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Finished up The Mandalorian last week...now there's going to be a build-a-bear baby yoda...and I'm just dying to do a Cara Dune cosplay...never done armor before, so that should be interesting!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I found yet another group (3 now), so I'm playing with a new style of DM and have put any attempts to DM myself to the side for now...the new one is much more storyteller and I can see where it's much more entertaining as a player, so I'm really enjoying the different nuances!!! I still get to roll dice often enough not to be bored yet!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    I found yet another group (3 now), so I'm playing with a new style of DM and have put any attempts to DM myself to the side for now...the new one is much more storyteller and I can see where it's much more entertaining as a player, so I'm really enjoying the different nuances!!! I still get to roll dice often enough not to be bored yet!

now that sounds like fun!
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    oyVoMtm.jpg
  • bmeadows380
    I've got a question for those who do a lot of RPGing, if you might have an idea, or where I might go to find an answer:

Say a character is a military captain of some rank in a medieval style or fantasy style army - for example, he's a mid-range captain of a unit or such serving in a dragonlord's platoon in a Dragonlance setting, along the lines of being the captain of a brigade. If his brigade captured an important political enemy, such as the son of the king of the opposing army, but said enemy managed to escape before getting him back to the fortress, what sort of punishment would the captain face from his superiors for losing the prisoner?
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    I've got a question for those who do a lot of RPGing, if you might have an idea, or where I might go to find an answer:

Say a character is a military captain of some rank in a medieval style or fantasy style army - for example, he's a mid-range captain of a unit or such serving in a dragonlord's platoon in a Dragonlance setting, along the lines of being the captain of a brigade. If his brigade captured an important political enemy, such as the son of the king of the opposing army, but said enemy managed to escape before getting him back to the fortress, what sort of punishment would the captain face from his superiors for losing the prisoner?

Death by Dragon Breath!
  • mattig89ch

This would depend on the ruler. Could be anything from a firm talking to, to a public hanging in the guards barracks as a reminder to all those that fail the king/queen/ruler
  • bmeadows380
    mattig89ch wrote: »

This would depend on the ruler. Could be anything from a firm talking to, to a public hanging in the guards barracks as a reminder to all those that fail the king/queen/ruler

I'm thinking along the lines of MOrgoth/Sauron type of ruler, so we're talking the dark ruler. Since Sauron managed to lose Beren and Luthian and yet retained his rulership under Morgoth, I didn't think that the answer would necessarily be death, but I'm not thinking of a character that is nearly that high in the hierarchy, either. So I was trying to figure if death wasn't the penalty, what could be a penalty? I realize for a very low level guard, death was probably the result, but wasn't sure about a captain.

I know in Roman days, a guard who allowed his prisoner to go free was put to death, but wasn't sure how far up the chain that penalty went; was a centurion or even legionnaire held to that standard if a prisoner escaped from their band? I realize a centurion or legionnaire certainly wouldn't have been guarding the prisoner themselves, but if it was an important prisoner, would they have faced a penalty if the men that served under them failed to maintain the prisoner?
  • mattig89ch

I'm thinking along the lines of MOrgoth/Sauron type of ruler, so we're talking the dark ruler. Since Sauron managed to lose Beren and Luthian and yet retained his rulership under Morgoth, I didn't think that the answer would necessarily be death, but I'm not thinking of a character that is nearly that high in the hierarchy, either. So I was trying to figure if death wasn't the penalty, what could be a penalty? I realize for a very low level guard, death was probably the result, but wasn't sure about a captain.

I know in Roman days, a guard who allowed his prisoner to go free was put to death, but wasn't sure how far up the chain that penalty went; was a centurion or even legionnaire held to that standard if a prisoner escaped from their band? I realize a centurion or legionnaire certainly wouldn't have been guarding the prisoner themselves, but if it was an important prisoner, would they have faced a penalty if the men that served under them failed to maintain the prisoner?

That is a good question. We know the white orc failed a number of times before he was killed off. Still, loosing possession of a high ranking prisoner? That could very well be a killable offense.

Unless that soldier has proven themselves to be incredibly useful, or has powerful familial connections.

I guess this would come down to what the DM wants to happen. If your DM is looking for a reason to kill off the players and/or an NPC this would do it. This could also be a good dramatic moment for an evil reveal, or a suicide quest for the players/NPC. Needing to rescue that prisoner from the hunting parties of that NPC. Or trying having the players go find the HVT (high value target), as an example to the NPC who lost them.
  • DoomSlayer2020
    DoomSlayer2020 Posts: 66 Member
    If it’s Aliens/Predator I collect it!
  • bmeadows380
    edited February 2020

That is a good question. We know the white orc failed a number of times before he was killed off. Still, loosing possession of a high ranking prisoner? That could very well be a killable offense.

Unless that soldier has proven themselves to be incredibly useful, or has powerful familial connections.

I guess this would come down to what the DM wants to happen. If your DM is looking for a reason to kill off the players and/or an NPC this would do it. This could also be a good dramatic moment for an evil reveal, or a suicide quest for the players/NPC. Needing to rescue that prisoner from the hunting parties of that NPC. Or trying having the players go find the HVT (high value target), as an example to the NPC who lost them.

@mattig89ch
    Well, it's not for an actual RPG, so that does make things a little easier. The character in my head is one that is way too complex to ever work as a RPG character and is more of one who's story has been perking along in my head for some time and which I'd love to actually see written out one day, except I never get enough details from him to actually constitute a plot line......

Anyway, I realize that when ti comes to creating a book character, the writer has complete control of the storyline, but at the same time, I want to be realistic, as I know myself how annoying it can be for a writer to force a plot line along when its starting to stretch the realms of plausibility. So I'm looking at this character and this little plot point that I would like to play off, but wondering if I could pull it off considering the background and the circumstances because I'd like to keep him alive a good long while, and if the most plausible answer would be that he'd pay for his failure with his life, then he's going to have to come up with some other plan.......

The character himself has proven himself to be incredibly useful as a lieutenant. He started off as a prisoner of war slave and has spent decades slowly working his way up from slave to gladiator to soldier and on up the ranks. He's proven himself to be resourceful, intelligent, cunning, patient, and very effective, ruthless in completing his missions but not wasting time on being needlessly cruel. He seems to be loyal. However, that is because he believes that the dark lord is undefeatable and destined to rule the world as the good forces have been very ineffective in stopping his advances; other than winning a few skirmishes here and there, and if everyone is going to end up a thrall of the dark lord, he'd rather be a high ranking slave and in his master's favor than be in utter misery as the lowest of the low (he's been at that point and would rather not return to it if he can help it). but this particular incident is to be a turning point in his views of the dark lord's impregnability and its starts him to thinking about how one would go about defeating the dark lord, because he hates the guy and would love to see his downfall if possible.

the prisoner is actually a good friend of his from their youth and his brother-in-law, and he doesn't hold any animosity toward him and is considering letting him go out to honor his late wife, who cared deeply for her brother. But its figuring out how the brother-in-law can continue to live (as he has a crucial part to play in future events in my head) without my main character giving up his life in the process (as he also has a crucial part to play). And do so that would be realistic to the setting and the ruler, considering dark lords are usually portrayed as ruling with an iron fist.....
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    I have seen both ideas in fiction, where a favored captain is beheaded for failure, or also where, if not forgiven, at least given a chance to rectify the situation, especially if his force which had captured the prisoner was not strong enough to have kept him, say if he was on a scouting mission and had only a handful of men.

Speaking as a published author, were this my scenario, I would have the evil lord give the captain a chance to correct his error, with the knowledge that he either succeeds (forgiven) or fails (dies). Perhaps given a rival to either go with him or in a separate team as a race to the target. If the captain has family dear to him, maybe the evil lord now holds them in hostage to force the captain's compliance, which adds another plot element if the captain does indeed have a change in heart and wants to defect, yet worries for the safety of his loved ones at home. If the target truly becomes a friend with the captain, I can see a plan put in place where the captain "catches" the target and brings him back behind enemy lines, only to have a dramatic battle where the captain proves his new colors by aiding his "captive" to defeat the dark lord.
  • bmeadows380
    I was talking to my friend about it this morning, and I think I've figured it out: he captures the princes, takes him to the fortress, turns him over to the dungeon guard, then quietly orchestrates his escape, covering his tracks so that nothing points back to him. The prince escapes, my character was not in charge (the dungeon master was), and he doesn't have to do penance or suffer any penalties for letting the prisoner escape. Then the prince just needs to make sure he's moving fast to get back across the front line to his side before my character gets sent back out to recapture him :)
  • mattig89ch
    TqikL3z.jpg
  • mattig89ch
    f87jF7r.jpg