Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Bagels or doughnuts?

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    Yesterday's bagel was on a poppy seed instead of an everything. Yummers. I also asked them to sub cucumber for the tomato they normally put on a lox bagel.

r2a6nj5gwdcq.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Bagel for me, pumpernickel...

Now I want a pumpernickel bagel and have no source for them here >.<

I've actually been wanting to make pumpernickel bread and you've got me looking up recipes...

I place donuts in the strictly "dessert" category. I can have a nice meal of a half bagel, cream cheese, and smoked salmon.
  • mtaratoot
    I stopped at the bagel shop on the way back to work from the post office. I stop if there's a parking space in the free parking area that's no more than a block or two from the shop. The parking in front of the shop is paid parking, at least for now. I was just going to get ONE bagel, maybe with a schmear, and maybe just a fresh, warm bagel. Well, they had day-old bags, and they had firesticks. That's the dough from a jalapeno bagel but not round, and it's got cheddar added before they bake it. Not only is that back a half dozen bagels, they tossed in an extra jalapeno, too.

tuv0r9jsu6ic.jpg

I ate ONE. Just one. Yay! I might eat another, but I think I'm going to put them in the freezer. I should take a plastic bag to work after lunch and put some in the freezer THERE. This MIGHT keep me from eating ALL of them. Today. Because you know what? I want to SO bad.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Bagels are the way to go. Who gets filled up on one donut anyway? Eat two donuts and you've already eaten as much as one bagel with cream cheese, plus I'm craving more. Give me a bagel any day.
  • mtaratoot
    You KNEW I was going to do it, right....

Someone brought a box of doughnuts to work this week. I had the pleasure of looking at them when I made a cup of coffee from the 190-degree hot tap. Just grocery store doughnuts, to be sure, so not as tempting as really good ones. I considered a bite of the old fashioned or the chocolate covered cake doughnut, but it really wasn't hard to just move along.

Today on the other hand:

v301cdnm8zn7.jpg

Today's choice was lox on poppy seed. That comes with with CC, lox, red and green onion, tomatoes, and capers. I substitute cucumbers for the tomatoes. Mmmmmm......

It's all I have eaten today, and I think I'll be full for quite a while. Seems to be a nice mix of carbs, fat, and protein. Too bad about all the sodium, but that doesn't bother me TOO much...

y0mtafqac7yh.png
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    With 300 calories? Half a bagel with a thick layer of cream cheese topped with a tomato slice and a sprinkle of salt. Yum!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    As a Montrealer, my duty is to proclaim "bagels." They must be straight from the oven though. Toppings are not forbidden but, you know...why?
  • mtaratoot
    edited February 2020
    Well, I finally did it.

The shop owner told me several times that his pastrami bagel is really good. It just sounded odd. Cream cheese and pastrami? What the hell. I ordered it today. It's essentially the same as the lox bagel, but with a less sustainable meat than wild salmon. I even let them put on the tomatoes because I think that works better than the cucumbers I substitute on the lox bagel.

g82b8xz9kquq.jpg

I mapped it out to about 550 calories, so, more like two doughnuts. So... one bagel or two doughnuts? BAGEL!

I know. I already voted. But it's Sunday, and those bagels are so good.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,005 Member
    edited February 2020
    mworeilly wrote: »
    I live in NJ, where the bagels are the best in the world and better than the doughnuts, so bagel.

I love NJ bagels!

My NYC in-laws think I'm crazy to prefer NJ bagels over NY bagels.

But I'm a donut girl.
    I would choose the right donut over even my beloved NJ bagels.

Love love NYC Doughnut Plant, especially the creme brulee donut,
    follow by the coconut donut.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    huango wrote: »
    mworeilly wrote: »
    I live in NJ, where the bagels are the best in the world and better than the doughnuts, so bagel.

I love NJ bagels!

My NYC in-laws think I'm crazy to prefer NJ bagels over NY bagels.

But I'm a donut girl.
    I would choose the right donut over even my beloved NJ bagels.

Love love NYC Doughnut Plant, especially the creme brulee donut,
    follow by the coconut donut.

Some of the best bread ever comes from Northern NJ!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Bagels. Preferably an everything bagel with cream cheese and lox. Unless I am at Ess-A-Bagel in NYC, where I will always get raisin pumpernickel, and eat it plain.

I am not a big doughnut fan. Maybe once a year I will be lured in by the "Hot" light at Krispy Kreme and get an original glazed. And maybe once a year I'll get a Boston Creme at Dunkin. Although craft doughnut shops have become a thing around here, with several having opened in the past couple of years, I never think about stopping in.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    My weakness, jam and fresh cream donuts.
    tdx4ux78j6ie.jpg
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    Between those two choices definitely a bagel though it'd likely be more than 300 calories once I piled cream cheese on it! I'm not a big doughnut person but recently had some great ones from a bakery, the chocolate with chocolate icing just might win between the two but your average doughnuts are an easy pass.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Paczki today. (The only time I will eat a filled doughnut.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    In Chicago, for whatever reason, it's become a Monday or Tuesday before Ash Wednesday thing.
  • ActionRZ
    ActionRZ Posts: 134 Member
    I would most likely pick the bagel. Even with cheese, etc., I think much more benefit than a doughnut. Especially if your going to a work out after
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ActionRZ wrote: »
    I would most likely pick the bagel. Even with cheese, etc., I think much more benefit than a doughnut. Especially if your going to a work out after

What are the benefits of a bagel versus a doughnut when it comes to working out?
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    I have been craving an everything doughnut from a local shop and they have not had them in. That would be my personal choice for sure.
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    100% bagels. I'm not a fan of doughnuts. Don't get me wrong, I am a pig who will eat anything, but donuts are one of the last things I'd choose when going for something sweet.

Bagels on the other hand are one of the best things ever. I don't eat them often though because it's a lot of calories for something that I devour very quickly and doesn't fill me up much.
  • mtaratoot
    There were no bagels on Roatan. I got home too late to make it to the bagel shop, and they are closed Monday and Tuesday. Poor me; I had to eat civeche and grilled whole fish.

bkujyyreq5xo.jpg

rcvi9epssd3h.jpg