muscle soreness remedy

47before30
47before30 Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all, I took a longer than liked gap from training and as a completely expected result I'm feeling a large amount of muscle stiffness and soreness.

Whilst I know the obvious solution is resting them - has anyone got an advice to speed up / prevent further soreness? (aside from the normal DOMS that comes with exercise of course)

It not really too bad the soreness but I'm finding it difficult to to do things as I normally would. a noticeable amount of pain when engaging the muscle in my upper arms that is enough to make you pause when doing anything with them if that makes sense?

I play rugby and we have our next game in a fortnight -ish and just want to make sure I'm as fit as can be for the game without having to miss too much training.

Hope I've made sense. Thanks

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Soaking in a hot epsom salt bath does wonders for me, whether the aches and pains are exercise or fibromyalgia related.
  • 47before30
    Soaking in a hot epsom salt bath does wonders for me, whether the aches and pains are exercise or fibromyalgia related.

silly question possibly - but how much of the salt do you put in the bath?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    edited January 2020
    47before30 wrote: »

silly question possibly - but how much of the salt do you put in the bath?

It tells you on the label. Or, you know, Google: https://www.healthline.com/health/bath-salts

Apparently it's two cups in a standard tub.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    In addition to warm baths (w/ or w/o Epsom), NSAIDs and drink lots of water.
  • canthony3505
    canthony3505 Posts: 35 Member
    Often I'll use a massage rolling stick or a percussion massage tool soon after a work out. It may be in my head but it sure seems to help me to not be so sore the next day.
  • 47before30
    Often I'll use a massage rolling stick or a percussion massage tool soon after a work out. It may be in my head but it sure seems to help me to not be so sore the next day.

I'll have a look at getting one - any recommendations? Based in UK.

Thank you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Foam rolling and gentle exercise.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Another vote for Epsom Salts as a recovery method here. I like taking Magnesium supplements and eating a banana for the potassium.

For me resting makes thing worse so I like doing gentle yoga or walking to get blood circulating around around the body.

If you want to go hardcore ice baths are really good for dealing with aches and pains but that is definitely not for the faint hearted
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited January 2020
    Keep moving as much as possible. A hot as you can stand bath with epsom salts. Also magnesium oil spray. foam rolling.
    Also eat potassium rich foods, I like to make a smoothie with almond milk, almond butter, banana, berries and a handful of spinach with a scoop of hemp protein powder
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Walk, stretch, icy/hot, massage the soreness .... booze (ok that's a joke)

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    I found that a body building recovery shake helpsme feel noticeablyless sore the following day.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,321 Member
    47before30 wrote: »

I'll have a look at getting one - any recommendations? Based in UK.

Asda had vibrating foam rollers for £10 before Christmas, or Decathlon had rolling sticks for £15.

Also check you’re getting enough protein - I find that eating well with plenty of protein helps with my DOMs.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Fully resting is not ideal. You’ll recover faster and be more comfortable if you do some light/gentle activity like walking or a very easy/leisurely bike ride.

Plus the already mentioned stuff.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    The best thing to do is sweat it out. This means to do more exercise.
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    I was told a pickle and a banana help.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    Another vote for Epsom Salts as a recovery method here. I like taking Magnesium supplements and eating a banana for the potassium.

For me resting makes thing worse so I like doing gentle yoga or walking to get blood circulating around around the body.

If you want to go hardcore ice baths are really good for dealing with aches and pains but that is definitely not for the faint hearted

I second this, I've started doing yoga as the last part of my workout. I pulled a few chest muscles somehow and picked up Tiger Balm, it stinks but it feels good and since it's been hurting to breathe it's great to have something that helps! When I had sports massages after herniating a disk in my back and spraining my neck the masseuse used to use it if I wasn't going anywhere afterward. I take Magnesium too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I was told a pickle and a banana help.

More for cramping than DOMs
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited January 2020
    Rest and a warm bath, hydro, steam &/or sauna works 4me.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    I like stretching and foam rolling.
    This week the head trainer at my gym recommended taking fish oil daily. He says it helps reduce inflammation and is also good for the joints. Not sure if it will work or if it’s more a prevention than remedy but I’m gonna try it.
  • 47before30
    I like stretching and foam rolling.
    This week the head trainer at my gym recommended taking fish oil daily. He says it helps reduce inflammation and is also good for the joints. Not sure if it will work or if it’s more a prevention than remedy but I’m gonna try it.

I always used to take a cod liver oil tablet daily for my joints but stopped when I was pregnant and never started taking them again. I'll pick up another pack - didnt do me any harm anyway.

thank you.

and thanks for all the suggestions guys - have tried several and not sure if its just in my head or its a genuine improvement but Im not walking round like I'm 100 anymore so happy days