February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    2/1 - 8.5 miles

It was a nice 35F for yesterday's run but with a little breeze blowing it was chilly starting out. After the run it was a super busy day and I was just exhausted when I finally got home late yesterday evening. A good nights sleep does wonders though.

@autumnblade75 - sorry I have no car shopping advice. It's a process that I absolutely loathe!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,884 Member
    edited February 2020
    2nd Feb and im already so far behind! Story of my life at the moment. I should have started half marathon training last month for an event in May, but after starting January with another bout of pneumonia i am still struggling with walking at normal speed and feel pretty rubbish. I am checking in as promise to myself that things are going to improve. I really dont know at the moment if i will make that event (I was never aiming for fast, just faster than last years 3 hours) but if its ok i will be checking in cheering you on, and hopefully shouting loudly when i run my first couple of miles. You are all awesome!
    Of course it is okay! Hope you get to feeling better and are able to start running again soon!

@autumnblade75 I have no car advice, but feel for you. I hate car shopping. That's probably why I drive mine until they die. :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @autumnblade75 Frankly I just want to replace my current Jeep with a bigger newer one. Preferably in black. With a lift kit and a hard top. So I guess I am not much help. :D Good luck!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    @autumnblade75 - Love my Subaru Outback! My daughter has a Forrester with almost 200k miles on it that is still running great, it has made multiple cross country trips and Seattle to So CA. They are great cars but I am not sure about the brakes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @autumnblade75
    I have a versa but they have drum brakes in back(2009). I like it. No trouble with it in a year.
    I liked the Mazda 3 but that particular car had front end issues so i got the versa
    I was looking at the crosstrek or crosstour. Cuz all wheel drive and midwest winters. Not sure about the back breaks
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    2-1 7k easy + yoga
    2-2 11k slow

February Total: 18k
    February Goal: 140k

January Total: 161k

Cloudy, low 30s F and a light breeze from the south today. Had about an inch of snow overnight, but the footing was OK. Hadn't done a run outside my comfort zone in a long while.

@autumnblade75 I usually go with the vehicle that's most convenient to get serviced. Back when I was young, I did a lot of regular maintenance myself, but I'm not so young anymore. We've been driving Jeep Compasses for the last few years and have had zero issues.

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    @RunsOnEspresso so glad your knees are feeling better. Thank goodness no broken bones.

@emmamcgarity great that your hamstring is not giving you any more problems. Those injuries are tough to come back from.

@autumnblade75 cars are like running shoes...such a personal choice. But in all the vehicles I have owned, my current 2003 Toyota Tacoma has been the best, most reliable. Have had it almost 17 years, not once has it gone in the shop. I just do regular maintenance, and it just keeps going (now that I have said that out loud I hope I haven't jinxed it 😲)
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Started the month with 5 miles. Spent half the day car shopping. Didn't buy anything, but all the dealerships are closed on Sundays, here in Illinois, so I'll be carpooling to work this week. Next week, that driver is on vacation, and while I can probably arrange something, I'm feeling a little pressured to hurry the car shopping. I have a list of 10 vehicles to look at on Monday, but of the 4 we tried to look at, 3 sold before we could get to see them. We did test drive a Kia Rio5, but it had no pep, and the muffler was pretty loud. If we could have convinced ourselves that the two were related, I might have still bought it...

So, does anyone have any recommendations for make and model? I'm looking for a wagon or hatchback, preferably with roof racks, needs to get at least 25 mpg, and 4-wheel disc brakes are a HUGE bonus? To the best of my knowledge, all of that combined seems to indicate my dream car would be a Ford Focus ZXW. Why they only put 4-wheel disc brakes on the one trim style is beyond me. I'm investigating Nissan Versa, Hyundai Accent, Honda Fit, some Mazdas and the VW Jetta Sportwagen. But seriously open to suggestions.

Like I said, the dealerships are closed, so at least there will be no car shopping to distract me from a run later today - I think at least 7 miles.

exercise.png

I’ve had my Versa four years and absolutely love it. It is regularly maintenanced and I have never had a single problem. I often have them run the diagnostics machine on it to see if they pick up any codes (codes for things wrong) and they never do.

I am just about to pay it off and keep it going for one of my kids and at that point i will want a Nissan Murano because they’re just such beautiful cars and i love Nissan.

But by then i won’t wish i had an SUV probably because I’ll only have one kid and one dog to cart around
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 - sorry I have no car shopping advice. It's a process that I absolutely loathe!

[quote="quilteryoyo;c-44683638"
    @autumnblade75 I have no car advice, but feel for you. I hate car shopping. That's probably why I drive mine until they die. :lol:
    [/quote]

I'm done putting more money into the Aveo. It appears that the transmission has just failed. It's definitely not because I want to do car shopping.
    @autumnblade75 Frankly I just want to replace my current Jeep with a bigger newer one. Preferably in black. With a lift kit and a hard top. So I guess I am not much help. :D Good luck!

I had a Cherokee. It had a lot of character. Mostly, I liked it pretty well. I do prefer to be able to stop in the snow, though, and it didn't get the MPG I'm looking for. And I'm only 5'3" so it's a little tall for putting the kayak on the roof. It's not out of the question!
    shanaber wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 - Love my Subaru Outback! My daughter has a Forrester with almost 200k miles on it that is still running great, it has made multiple cross country trips and Seattle to So CA. They are great cars but I am not sure about the brakes.

The brakes are more of a want than a need. I have to keep reminding myself of that, too. I'm loving that they make a wagon, but it's on the tall side, and since it's AWD, it doesn't do as well on the gas as I'd like. Thank you for the suggestion.
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @autumnblade75
    I have a versa but they have drum brakes in back(2009). I like it. No trouble with it in a year.
    I liked the Mazda 3 but that particular car had front end issues so i got the versa
    I was looking at the crosstrek or crosstour. Cuz all wheel drive and midwest winters. Not sure about the back breaks

I think I had dismissed the Crosstrek as too tall, but I'm not sure I've seen any Crosstours. I'll see what I can find out. Thank you.
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 I usually go with the vehicle that's most convenient to get serviced. Back when I was young, I did a lot of regular maintenance myself, but I'm not so young anymore. We've been driving Jeep Compasses for the last few years and have had zero issues.

I've pretty much been ruling out all the Chevys, due to some issues I've had with all the nearby dealerships - it's important that someone can do service on the stupid things, and the Aveo has been impossible to even *diagnose* at the generic mechanic shop down the street. Proprietary codes or some such nonsense.
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 cars are like running shoes...such a personal choice. But in all the vehicles I have owned, my current 2003 Toyota Tacoma has been the best, most reliable. Have had it almost 17 years, not once has it gone in the shop. I just do regular maintenance, and it just keeps going (now that I have said that out loud I hope I haven't jinxed it 😲)

Absolutely. I didn't even share some of the more individual preferences I have - like, fewer electronic options, a physical keyhole for opening the trunk when the battery is dead, and whether or not a full sized spare will fit wherever the donut or compressor is stored. It's usually quicker and cheaper to DIY than call a tow-truck for a flat tire, and I have the know-how and can-do.

Meanwhile, I still haven't run, but I've been browsing Cars.com for more options. I'd never even heard of the Kia Niro. If I'm willing to finance, it's not completely out of the question that I could get a hybrid.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I won't be of any help in the car talk. DH works for a Chevy dealer. I have a silverado so we can get to places you can't in a car. DH has a trax because his cruze was totaled recently and the trax was the best deal at the time.

Although I would have gotten a used Jeep had a better deal/color come along when my last lease was up. I was not going to drive a BRIGHT *kitten* yellow and black jeep. LOL
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Started the month with 5 miles. Spent half the day car shopping. Didn't buy anything, but all the dealerships are closed on Sundays, here in Illinois, so I'll be carpooling to work this week. Next week, that driver is on vacation, and while I can probably arrange something, I'm feeling a little pressured to hurry the car shopping. I have a list of 10 vehicles to look at on Monday, but of the 4 we tried to look at, 3 sold before we could get to see them. We did test drive a Kia Rio5, but it had no pep, and the muffler was pretty loud. If we could have convinced ourselves that the two were related, I might have still bought it...

So, does anyone have any recommendations for make and model? I'm looking for a wagon or hatchback, preferably with roof racks, needs to get at least 25 mpg, and 4-wheel disc brakes are a HUGE bonus? To the best of my knowledge, all of that combined seems to indicate my dream car would be a Ford Focus ZXW. Why they only put 4-wheel disc brakes on the one trim style is beyond me. I'm investigating Nissan Versa, Hyundai Accent, Honda Fit, some Mazdas and the VW Jetta Sportwagen. But seriously open to suggestions.

Like I said, the dealerships are closed, so at least there will be no car shopping to distract me from a run later today - I think at least 7 miles.

exercise.png

I can highly recommend a hyundai. I have an I30 and its definitely peppy. We have a Mazda axela (Mazda 3) and the hyundai is way better at up and go than the Mazda.

Though no idea about braks though, it brakes really well...
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    @Camaramandy648 I'm excited and anxious and ready! I second Avidkeo on Hyundai. I had an Accent, drove it back and forth to work every day for nine years and never put one penny into it above routine maintenance. Not a cent, and it a reliable car. Someone smashed into me and totalled it but if it hadn't happened, I'd still be driving it! Good car!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Adding...it had 114,000 miles when hit and I never put a penny in to it above maintenance!!!