60 yrs and up

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Good article, thank you for sharing it!! My sister and I are both so guilty of negative self talk and it is a hard habit to break, not impossible but hard. :) A work in progress for sure!! It truly hurts my heart to watch my sister constantly talk about herself in such a negative manner because she places all the blame directly on herself and uses all that negative verbiage within the article. I can see the affect it has on a person. :( It can wear you down until you feel you're responsible for everything, worthy of nothing, and no more than a plop of dog poo. :neutral:

Anyways, thanks again. :)
    As for myself, I'm doing okay. I'm certainly looking forward to a break from winter weather when I feel like being outdoors. It's cold, dark, sometimes icy. I love seeing the bright crisp skies at night but it'd be really nice for it to hit 30-40's consistently. :) SOOO looking forward to gardening this year!!!
    My eating has stayed within limits, for the most part and I'm still exercising every day. I have a couple projects I need to start and being a procrastinator, there are always better things to do. Lol
    Hope everyone has a good 'last day of January!!'
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    I'm having a good day. I was able to get back to the exercise equipment today after a 5 day break due to a cold. So far today I've been able to control my portions and eat healthy food. So I'm hoping for another good day. I also read the article. Thanks for sharing. It is so true that words are very powerful. The more negative the more power they have. That's why we all need to be as positive as we can.

Welcome Pamdar67. This site is a good place to get some support in your journey to a healthier you. I hope you saved this thread so you can find us again and let us know how you're doing.

I agree there should be a better way to this journey to good health than looking at food as good or bad and how many calories it has. I try to concentrate on portion size but after a lifetime of worrying about weight it's hard not to look at foods as good or bad and calculate the calories. The weight comes off so slowly now that I think I do that more often than ever before.

Stay positive everyone and let's work toward another healthy day!!
  • Fishwishing
    Fishwishing Posts: 26 Member
    Hello 60's group. 65 here and counting... I've used MFP a couple of times in the past with successful weight loss. However I am a complete failure at maintenance! So I'm back again and glad to find a group that seems so compatible to my age and issues. I'm retired and a couple of years ago I had a biking accident which fractured my left tibial plateau. Any excercise after that was minimal and I packed the pounds back on. I am finally able to ride a Catrike but weather here in the midwest is unfavorable for riding in the winter, so I'm doing a (very) little walking with my dog. Rejoined MFP January 4 and have lost 7 pounds so far with low-calorie and IF combo. I am also a pescatarian (only eat fish, no red meat or poultry) so challenges there in keeping calories low with all the grains/legumes I normally consume. So...I think this thread will help tremendously in keeping my goals and comparing notes with the rest of you.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,246 Member
    Hello 60's group. 65 here and counting... I've used MFP a couple of times in the past with successful weight loss. However I am a complete failure at maintenance! So I'm back again and glad to find a group that seems so compatible to my age and issues. I'm retired and a couple of years ago I had a biking accident which fractured my left tibial plateau. Any excercise after that was minimal and I packed the pounds back on. I am finally able to ride a Catrike but weather here in the midwest is unfavorable for riding in the winter, so I'm doing a (very) little walking with my dog. Rejoined MFP January 4 and have lost 7 pounds so far with low-calorie and IF combo. I am also a pescatarian (only eat fish, no red meat or poultry) so challenges there in keeping calories low with all the grains/legumes I normally consume. So...I think this thread will help tremendously in keeping my goals and comparing notes with the rest of you.

Good luck with your goal,walk the dog it's good for both of you my dear
  • annliz23
    Pamdar67 wrote: »
    Hi I am a retired nurse. 67 yrs old and getting heavier every day---sitting at home alone. I really just want to feel better and look better!

You can do it, it's a state of mind be positive increase you exercises, walks, gentle low cardio
  • frankwoz
    frankwoz Posts: 3 Member
    Hi All
    60 (AU) Hardest thing is “mind over matter”, TV snacks (no no)and eating the right proportions cals,fats,protein:-

Recovering from 2012 car accident, kidney stones, 50%thyroid removal then eventual surgery to spine, and various drugs you take for pain.
    This App has got me to at least start and be a bit normal- and works well with Altitude training(highly recommended) and swimming.

The foundation is right food- right amounts...

Anyone can get fit and lose weight. But everyone is individual:- this app allows you to tailor, monitor your requirements..

We can all do it..and get fit.
  • annliz23
    Lost another pound finally after being static for weeks hopefully increased exercise has helped!
    Happy weekend everyone
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hi y'all. Hope everyone is doing well and feeling great about their daily choices. After reading the link from @getthebabeback I was sure trying on the dress planned for Easter in front of the mirror would be a "looking good moment." Yea, and I'm feeling good too. Time for a walk to the gym and some work with light weights then recumbent bike. Wishing the best to all, thanks for the welcomes and support here. Om...
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi @Fishwishing I also had a tibial plateau fracture on my left leg. Totally immobilized & no weight bearing for 12 weeks. That was no fun, but it has been 10 years ago now & I can do most anything, although my exercise is mostly walking. I turned 70 in Dec. Have been on MFP for a long time, mostly maintaining, but really only want to lose about 10 pounds, so guess maintaining is OK, lol.
  • Fishwishing
    Fishwishing Posts: 26 Member
    Annliz23, you are so supportive! Congrats on your 1 lb. loss, keep it going. Retiredandlovingit, thanks for the motivation to keep going. 10 years past tibial plateau is good to hear. Alligatorbob, I always heard that anything below 1200 is too low and could slow your metabolism. Not sure that is true, just what I' ve heard.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Along that line, they say a man should get 1500 minimum.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Welcome to all of the new people who have joined us. 🙋‍♀️ Everyone is so positive and seem to be doing well. :smile: Annliz23, congrats on the loss. 👍 I know what it's like to do all the right things and the scale stays stuck in the same place. It's so discouraging. I've had another good day on plan. Every day I get by makes me feel more in control again. This group is so inspiring. Everyone is working so hard despite all our medical issues. The support has really helped me to get back on track. Thank you all!!
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Along that line, they say a man should get 1500 minimum.

I am a man and have averaged about 1,100 calories a day for the past 9 months. It does not seem to have effected my metabolism, but you are right a lot of people do say 1,500 is the minimum. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said that so long as I am feeling good, and not tired or anything its fine. He also said the health benefits of the weight I am losing would outweigh any risks of under eating.

That said I know we are all different, and not everyone will have the same results I do. I also recommend talking to your doctor about any very low calorie diet, below 1,500 a day seems a rational cut off.
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Hey GTBB, great article, its sure on message for me!

I'd say good morning, but I think you are on the other side of the world where its not morning. I am in the US.
  • msoldnumber7
    msoldnumber7 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. I'm new to this group. 60 & need to lose about 50 more lbs. so I can get a hip replacment. Not good @ tracking my foods but I've lost about 20 over the past couple months. Trying to find exercise I can do that doesn't involve a lot of hip movement. lol You guys seem to be all on track from some of the posts I've read. Hoping I can get some motivation from y'all. Happy Groundhogs Day! :wink: