WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited February 2020
    Hi Shelley!

Kylia ~ Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday weekend. Happy early Birthday!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Sue: Happy Belated Birthday! :heart:

Michele: We each have our own systems and practices to improve our health. I go to the gym for my exercise. I ride a recumbent bike to burn calories and take yoga class to gain strength, balance, and flexibility. It is a good combination for me. I typically go 3 days a week. I have come to like all of my fellow yoga classmates. :bigsmile: It was much more challenging to try to do the work at home. I have a recumbent bike that I can ride in my own garage but doing yoga on my own in the living room is not as effective or pleasant as taking the class. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I have Animal Planet but I am not a big fan of puppy bowl. I love college football but am not a big fan of pro football. In past years I watched the pro championship to see the Budweiser Clydesdales commercial, but It is not going to be on this year. I won’t be buying Budweiser and won’t be watching the Super Bowl game. :noway: Congrats on your fabulous results from intermittent fasting. :bigsmile:

Machka: Our DDIL is a big fan of Pilates and a certified teacher. She owns her own equipment. It has done wonders for her strength and agility. :star:

Barbie: We went to a hotel near the hospital for DH’s colonoscopy prep. The prep is the worst part of the deal. He did okay. My sympathies for Jake’s colonoscopy prep. It is a good way to take care of your health, but not any fun at all. :noway:

M in OZ: Chinese travelers will be having a hard time in many places. Nobody wants the disease to spread throughout their own populations. :noway:

Annie in DE: I’m sorry for the loss of your Papillon and delighted to hear about Teddy. We have had dogs since the beginning of our marriage. Our current boy is a ‘senior’ Keeshond. We brought him home as a puppy and hope to have him with us as long as possible. :star:

Rebecca: Athena’s eyes are beautiful. What a sweet little girl! :heart:

Viv UK: I had a bump up in weight during December and I’m working on getting back down to where I need to be to keep my knee from being painful. Getting older is not for sissies. :noway: Good luck on your flooring project. We haven’t done flooring in a long while, but the last time we were still living in our old home. We were capturing living space in a good-sized area under our roof. We put down a plywood base and then started laying oak parquet tiles in the middle of the room and moved outward. The end result was wonderful, but it was a LOT of work. :star:

Barbie: I admire your dance group and wish I could magically take a class. I can’t dance. I get mixed up with directions and end up dizzy. :ohwell: Luckily, I can take yoga classes without the dizzy problem. :smiley:

Shelley: Welcome! Stop by often. :star:

We want to replace our kitchen faucet set. There is a store in Vancouver, WA, that has what we think we want. DH won’t go with me and wants me to go on my own. I’’m not willing to go on my own. I’d rather wait a day or two and then go with him.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Kylia-sounds Amazing!!Happy Birthday 🎁!!!
    Sue-belated Happy Birthday 🎉!!!
    Debby in Va
  • Samand303
    Samand303 Posts: 123 Member
    I love football and when the kids were little, “the girls” watched the games and “the guy”(DH) made the Super Bowl snacks. This is the first time I’m being weight/health conscious for this. I know I’ll be snacking. Any great, simple suggestions of healthier nibbles besides the obvious veggie tray?
    Thanks (Go Red Team — for non-football fans, both teams today wear red!)
    Samand
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member

m19014.gif
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    “RVRita: WOW! You have achieved so many goals. Congratulations! :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon”

Thank you Katla! I aim to have mostly completed by December.

RV Rita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    “RVRita – would you like to clean my car? Great goal. Only for me that probably wouldn’t work in wintertime. It was snowing yesterday”

Lol! I cheated! I took it to a car wash. Lol

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    353015tkprxcc8un.gif

To Kylia!!!! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Happy Sunday!

Kylia - Happy Birthday!! <3 Sounds like you had a wonderful surprise dinner B) And hope after effects, if any, pass swiftly, ;).

Barbara - I'm almost ready to file taxes, will let the pot soak for one more day. I use TaxAct which is free, but go ahead and pay because I can get access to years of past returns and import info from year to year. But could easily do it on a paper form and mail it in. I'm going to look into that. It's funny how we get absorbed into our own little worlds when doing important projects like taxes. Is it my imagination or do spouses seem to want to chat during times like this when they can go for days without really wanting attention otherwise?

Heather - I actually love to make Caesar salad dressing and haven't in a long time, thanks for the reminder. Garlic olive oil was a key, removing the garlic but leaving some of the essence - this was a tip from a professional chef we knew. Haven't forgotten it. Your meals always sound so yummy!

Barbie - I wish we all could attend your line dancing class! Not sure how much dancing would get done tho, lol. I am surprised that line dancing isn't offered in our county by the college, seniors, gyms.... seems strange because we are so "country" around here - plenty of country/western radio stations, cowboy boots and cowboy hats all over the place. I just Googled line dancing, Google offered "lap dancing" as a choice B)>:) Anyhow, it looks like a good calorie burner, cardio, and the variety of steps has to help coordination and balance.

I see some examples on YouTube so I'll be able to incorporate a few steps in my morning exercise routine from time to time. I took line dancing's relative square dancing in college and LOVED IT.

Katla - good luck with your new faucet. Can your DH do the replacement work? Sadly, mine cannot squirrel under the sink anymore and doesn't have the strength to crank on the wrench :( We had ours replaced several years ago by a plumber who was out here doing other jobs for the day.

Fitbit story - so my old Fitbit One finally died about after 5 years of good service, and I ordered another Fitbit off Amazon. Got it, unpacked it, and discovered it wouldn't sync with my PC, tablet or phone. I think I already mentioned this. Anyhow, ordered one that's a Realalt brand"TriSport", and I love it. Don't care that it doesn't sync. I think it's accurate, easy to read, has a memory. The main thing is I want to make sure I hit my 6000 step target on most days, and this does it for me. It was a little over $20 with tax. Can tuck it right into my bra like I did the Fitbit One.

Looks like no snow this morning but maybe tonight.

Make it a fabulous day, ladies. And don't forget to root for your favorite puppy!

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,500 Member
    ;;;;;
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I wish you could all come to my line dance class. The students, mostly women, range in age from 50's to 90's. Some have lost their husbands, others are caring for needy or infirm husbands. Everyone is there for fun and exercise. There is no criticism, only encouragement and no controversial topics are part of the general conversation. Dress is casual, cost is minimal, and attendance can be as regular or sporadic as one wishes. Laughter and music are the sounds of the morning.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

This is my experience with classes both at the Rec center and YMCA.

Cathy, Arlington, Tx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Hi clowe1028! Please sign your posts with a name we can identify you with. Several of our chatters live in Texas. You have done an amazing job of losing weight and should be so proud of yourself.

Carol in GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    SuziQ gorgeous arrangement.

Kylia Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2020
    Samand: Super Bowl snack food strategies for the dieter: Popcorn without butter., raw celery—takes more calories to digest than it contains, raw carrots, sparkling water or herbal tea. Avoid beer, it has LOADS of calories and a built in “more” cravings. I hope this gives you some positive ideas. :star:

Clowe1028: You are transformed. WTG!!!!!

We are looking for a new kitchen faucet set and a new hot-tap. Does anyone have a brand or product they would recommend?

I just finished four books by a favorite author. They’re wonderful. The author is Lisa Kleypas, and this is a contemporary series set on San Juan Island in Washington State. I’ll read them again in a few months or years, but I want something to read sooner than that. I’ll be taking myself to Library to Go in a bit. I hope there is something that appeals to me.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

February 2020 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly.
    6. Abstain from alcohol.

Halt Stress:

Answering these questions can sometimes help clarify a situation and/or suggest a positive thing to do to help yourself feel better. :heart:

1. Am I hungry?
    2. Am I angry?
    3. Am I lonely?
    4: Am I tired?
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited February 2020
    I do line dancing on my cruises - at 9 am, after breakfast. :D I absolutely love it. The chorus girl dancers lead it. There doesn't seem to be one locally, the nearest is a drive away. Lanette it is also very good for cognitive development, a real brain work out!

My spicy cabbage, onion and garlic stir fry to go with my curry was heavenly. :p

My son has just asked us if we can babysit next Sunday at 8.30 am!! They want to go for a cycle ride over the South Downs. Of course I said yes. o:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx