What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    there aren't that many things that taste better with bacon. Asparagus. Quiche. Couple more...but that's it...

Not quite sure how to do quotes..,

I cannot wrap my head around your thoughts on bacon, even though I only infrequently have it. Just finished our homemade shrimp and grits (with bacon) for our Super Bowl meal. Super Yum!

Nah that DOES sound good to me! But I find so many times every burger, sandwich, and even some pastry/baked goods (!) have bacon and people say "bacon makes everything better". While shrimp & grits with bacon sounds super delicious, I don't want it on everything.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I hate bone in chicken wings. Too much bone in the way, not enough chicken. I LOVE chicken fingers, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, and boneless wings, chicken poppers, and bites. I never got the appeal of bone in chicken wings or bone in any chicken for that matter. The bone grosses me out and gets in the way. I like to just bite into my chicken instead of having to pick through it and see veins and bones. Never understood the popularity.

exactly why Dino nuggets are the superior chicken app

EXACTLY! 😅

I saw the butterscotch opinion and gasped LOL. Sorry my friend I also had to dislike your butterscotch opinion. I feel too strongly about butterscotch not too!

Butterscotch and salmon both got gasps out of me! I choose butterscotch over caramel and I love caramel!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I hate bone in chicken wings. Too much bone in the way, not enough chicken. I LOVE chicken fingers, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, and boneless wings, chicken poppers, and bites. I never got the appeal of bone in chicken wings or bone in any chicken for that matter. The bone grosses me out and gets in the way. I like to just bite into my chicken instead of having to pick through it and see veins and bones. Never understood the popularity.

I'm agreeing with you again but taking it a step further! First there's the gross skin which has all the tasty BBQ sauce, then you have to wade through the fat and bone for meat, and there's two little pieces of you're lucky. My brother is amazing at smoking and BBQing so it's more the meat that bugs me than the cooking. Ribs are another one, fatty with a big old bone. Yes, I cut every piece of fat off even chicken breasts before cooking, not a popular technique!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I also don't like custard filled or jelly filled doughnuts. With the jelly, it's more that they usually put too much in, but I don't like the custard ones at all. White cream all the way.

No filling in doughnuts, IDC which filling! Blech!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Scones are too dense.

Biscotti (at least purchased biscotti) is annoying. It is either too hard or already crumbling in your coffee.

The only packaged doughnut-like product worth buying is a little debbie doughnut stick.

Powdered doughnuts should all be banned.

Once a chocolate covered doughnut has cooled enough for the chocolate to harden they are trash fodder.

Fruit (not jelly) filled doughnuts are okay.

Creme doughnuts are horrid. Custard doughnuts are okay.

Cupcakes are somehow worse than cake which is already pretty meh.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Scones are too dense.

I think cake is a vehicle for frosting and little else.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I also don't like custard filled or jelly filled doughnuts. With the jelly, it's more that they usually put too much in, but I don't like the custard ones at all. White cream all the way.

Exactly correct, with the narrow exception of paczkis on the day before Ash Wednesday, which are tasty and which I will have if offered.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    edited February 2020
    puffbrat wrote: »
    mtruitt01 wrote: »
    Cold cereal; milk; most food chains; 'Chinese' food; cookies; mayonnaise; the fad of the hour (you hear me, kale?); canned soup (it's so easy to make homemade, and much more delicious); seafood (don't like the taste or smell); huge chunks of meat not sliced or incorporated into something; sauces that are too sweet like BBQ (although the yellow Southern one is great); sweet drinks; the USA way of serving vegetables to kids--just plain on the plate: canned fruit or vegetables with rare exceptions. Food that doesn't smell good; onion; garlic; most of the middle aisles.

I have a picky 2-year old and am very very open to suggestions! What do you think is better/more appealing?

What foods does he/she like??

He loves bread, cheese, and crackers. He generally loves fruit - raspberries, strawberries, mandarins, bananas, apples, grapes, and avocado - but seems to be getting tired of most of them. He will eat just about anything in a pouch, but that's probably because those are primarily applesauce with hints of other foods. He used to eat blueberries in lots of baked goods, but now picks them out. He will eat muffins, pancakes, etc with shredded zucchini in it. He used to love corn, but one bad experience now makes it food non grata. Won't touch eggplant anymore, even in pesto pasta. Used to eat quesadillas with monterey jack, goat cheese, corn, black beans, and bell pepper. Now picks everything out so it's just cheese and tortilla. Still eats red pepper hummus but is getting tired of it.

He generally does not like meat or vegetables. Used to eat pig products like pork tenderloin and deli ham, but not anymore.

ETA: He loves cinnamon pear balsamic vinegar.
  • RelCanonical
    Mushrooms are gross and ruin every dish they are in!

No truthier truth has been truthed.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Mushrooms are gross and ruin every dish they are in!

The only time I've ever liked mushrooms (or the one time I tried mussels) was when they were drowning in a butter sauce.

Which explains that. :)
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Pizza is over-rated, fizzy drinks (coke etc) are blinking revolting as are most fast food options (McDonalds, KFC etc). Any shop bought pre packaged cakes (Mr Kipling etc). All vile. Generally sweets are pretty grim as well - in fact, most things with a lot of additives/preservatives are horrid.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Scones are too dense.

I've never heard a truer statement. Seriously, keep your cake and give me ALL the frosting
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Exactly correct, with the narrow exception of paczkis on the day before Ash Wednesday, which are tasty and which I will have if offered.

NO! Custard filled and jelly filled are the best!! Raspberry jelly donuts are my favorite!

p070crjb81vj.png
  • pancakerunner
    kali31337 wrote: »
    Scones are too dense.

I've never heard a truer statement. Seriously, keep your cake and give me ALL the frosting

the only good cake is Molten Lava.. and thats more of a pudding than cake tbh
  • RelCanonical

NO! Custard filled and jelly filled are the best!! Raspberry jelly donuts are my favorite!

p070crjb81vj.png

I would like them more if it was like, thin slice of jelly and not rim of doughnut with mostly jelly.
  • pancakerunner

p070crjb81vj.png

I would like them more if it was like, thin slice of jelly and not rim of doughnut with mostly jelly.

So more like a toaster strudel type thing?
  • RelCanonical

p070crjb81vj.png

So more like a toaster strudel type thing?

More doughnut, less jelly. Kind of like if they glazed a doughnut with jelly, but it was in the middle. They might be out there, but the ones I've eaten always have too much jelly.