What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    edited February 2020
    I really dislike crab and do not understand the hype around it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I also don't like custard filled or jelly filled doughnuts. With the jelly, it's more that they usually put too much in, but I don't like the custard ones at all. White cream all the way.

Agreed!! When I get creme filled, the person in front of me is almost always getting custard filled. No!

See, this is a thing I just don't understand: If the person in front of me orders something I think is yucky, I just feel happy that they left the things I do like for me, instead of gobbling them before I get to the front of the line. ;)

Back on topic: I think modern fancy cupcakes, the ones with inches of frosting on top, are revolting. Most of the time, it's not even good frosting, i.e., tastes more like shortening than butter. (I will leave these beautiful but - to me - unpleasant things right there in the display case, where one of y'all frosting lovers can enjoy buying/eating them.)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I also don't like custard filled or jelly filled doughnuts. With the jelly, it's more that they usually put too much in, but I don't like the custard ones at all. White cream all the way.

Agreed!! When I get creme filled, the person in front of me is almost always getting custard filled. No!

See, this is a thing I just don't understand: If the person in front of me orders something I think is yucky, I just feel happy that they left the things I do like for me, instead of gobbling them before I get to the front of the line. ;)

Back on topic: I think modern fancy cupcakes, the ones with inches of frosting on top, are revolting. Most of the time, it's not even good frosting, i.e., tastes more like shortening than butter. (I will leave these beautiful but - to me - unpleasant things right there in the display case, where one of y'all frosting lovers can enjoy buying/eating them.)

I like frosting so much that I will sometimes peel the cupcake off and just eat the tower of frosting.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    Zebra Cakes taste of nothing and disappointment. Eating the coating is like eating plastic.

The same can be said of most snack cakes.

Cupcakes are only good if the frosting is buttercream and the cupcake is filled with something delicious. Example: I make a mean Irish Car Bomb cupcake with guinness batter, whiskey chocolate ganache center, and irish cream buttercream. Heaven. I'm a bit of a cupcake snob, so most cupcakes are disappointments. But the ones that aren't, tho...
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

No filling in doughnuts, IDC which filling! Blech!

Exactly correct, with the narrow exception of paczkis on the day before Ash Wednesday, which are tasty and which I will have if offered.

NO! Custard filled and jelly filled are the best!! Raspberry jelly donuts are my favorite!

p070crjb81vj.png

I would like them more if it was like, thin slice of jelly and not rim of doughnut with mostly jelly.

So more like a toaster strudel type thing?

More doughnut, less jelly. Kind of like if they glazed a doughnut with jelly, but it was in the middle. They might be out there, but the ones I've eaten always have too much jelly.

Ah yeah, I can see that.. but with a cream filling, the more the better!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    This is going to be unpopular and I’m embarrassed to admit that I like these Entenmann’s donuts. When I was a kid we called them “chocolate wax donuts” because the outside is so waxy. But I grew up right near the factory so we’d get them fresh right from the factory store. Haven’t had them in a while, but I wouldn’t turn one down. nf4vcg0ig490.png

I wouldn't say they taste great, but I also like them because they taste like nostalgia. Same with Entenmann's coffee cake.
  • pancakerunner
    This is going to be unpopular and I’m embarrassed to admit that I like these Entenmann’s donuts. When I was a kid we called them “chocolate wax donuts” because the outside is so waxy. But I grew up right near the factory so we’d get them fresh right from the factory store. Haven’t had them in a while, but I wouldn’t turn one down. nf4vcg0ig490.png

I wouldn't say they taste great, but I also like them because they taste like nostalgia. Same with Entenmann's coffee cake.

Agreed! These are my childhood. Grew up dunking them in milk, letting them get really soggy. love!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

Once in a blue moon I will have the opportunity to have one. I get myself a glass of milk to go with it, and if I close my eyes I'm 10 yrs old again. And I'd say that for packaged pastry, Entenmann's is pretty good. More flavor other than straight on sugar than most. Our go-to's in the 70s and 80s were the rich frosted doughnuts, coffee cake, and crumb cake. <sigh>
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

This is going to be unpopular and I’m embarrassed to admit that I like these Entenmann’s donuts. When I was a kid we called them “chocolate wax donuts” because the outside is so waxy. But I grew up right near the factory so we’d get them fresh right from the factory store. Haven’t had them in a while, but I wouldn’t turn one down.

Kind of like my occasional Moon Pie.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

I don't think it's bad/gross for them but I am just amazed at how many people get custard filled. I don't think I have EVER heard someone else order creme-filled, that's the thing!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited February 2020

Agree.

Also, cupcakes should never have filling.

Most cakes and cupcakes are too sweet, and a well-made pie is better than a well-made cake (although I do like good cake too).
  • pancakerunner

Agree.

Most cakes and cupcakes are too sweet, and a well-made pie is better than a well-made cake (although I do like good cake too).

the only cupcake that should have filling is a Hostess Ding Dong. Is that a cupcake??
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Agree.

the only cupcake that should have filling is a Hostess Ding Dong. Is that a cupcake??

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)
  • pancakerunner

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

this is what I meant :)
    bk5plqvcauv6.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Hostess has their own cupcakes! And ding dongs. And Ho Hos. And Zingers. And Snowballs. And donettes. And honeybuns. And.... :)
  • pancakerunner
    glassyo wrote: »

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Hostess has their own cupcakes! And ding dongs. And Ho Hos. And Zingers. And Snowballs. And donettes. And honeybuns. And.... :)

yeah, but Little Debbie has zebra cakes, oatmeal cream pies, nutty bars and cosmic brownies...
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

yeah, but Little Debbie has zebra cakes, oatmeal cream pies, nutty bars and cosmic brownies...

I will say, oatmeal cream pies, every once in a while, are my exception for a blanket "meh" on snack cakes.