Relationship self help books

thereshegoesagain
thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
edited February 2020 in Chit-Chat
I'm trying to improve my relationships with men I meet, so have turned to books.

I've read The 5 Love Languages, which I liked since it made sense to me. Now I'm reading Men are from Mars, Wome are from Venus, not thrilled with it. I don't care how the author keeps calling men "Martians" and women Venetians, or whatever the heck term he uses for us.

What books have you read that you felt made sense on how to build a strong, loving relationship?

Replies

• MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Boundaries by Henry cloud
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    This was a good one for relationships in general and learning how to take care of your own needs first instead of relying on someone else to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Q1SOOQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

If you really want hard research backed, you can't beat Dr. John Gottman. His studies are fascinating.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N6PEQV0/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    414BnEnohIL.jpg
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    414BnEnohIL.jpg
    I WAS GOING TO SAY THAT!

Also
    She Comes First
    and
    The Ethical Slut
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    I'm trying to improve my relationships with men I meet, so have turned to books.

I've read The 5 Love Languages, which I liked since it made sense to me. Now I'm reading Men are from Mars, Wome are from Venus, not thrilled with it. I don't care how the author keeps calling men "Martians" and women Venetians, or whatever the heck term he uses for us.

What books have you read that you felt made sense on how to build a strong, loving relationship?

YES I liked the love language book also, but ive learned if your partner doesn't adapt to your love language...nothing changes or gets better
    Ive given up on relation ship books and couples therapy..but just me!
    Good luck to you!
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    cookbooks
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    iMago wrote: »
    cookbooks

The way to the heart is through the stomach? 😉
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    iMago wrote: »
    cookbooks

The way to the heart is through the stomach? 😉

i think the key to any successful relationship is to just cook her a fat steak with a loaded baked tater on the side and to not look like an inept fool while doing it
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Honestly, it is not a relationship book specifically, but The Secret guides my entire life including relationships. Law of Attraction is everything.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    I've always held the belief that if you get the relationship with self worked out, the relationship with others part falls into place.

No specific books off the top of my head but Brene Brown and Carolyn Ball have some good ones.

This was an interesting read. Not one that I would have chosen myself but it was a gift:

9780062457714-l.jpg
  • Motorsheen
    201604-cover-586x768.jpg
  • _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    wcahc7wd83ww.jpg
  • ythannah wrote: »
    I've always held the belief that if you get the relationship with self worked out, the relationship with others part falls into place.

No specific books off the top of my head but Brene Brown and Carolyn Ball have some good ones.

This was an interesting read. Not one that I would have chosen myself but it was a gift:

9780062457714-l.jpg

From the same author is the book Models. Primarily a book for men. But, he does write in the intro that most of it can be used by anyone.

So far, it's an interesting read. though, I'm only on the second chapter.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    After almost 32 years of marriage, I should write a book.
  • Motorsheen
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    After almost 32 years of marriage, I should write a book.

same here.

(just not 32 years.... good lord.)

..... mine will be shelved in the 'Horror' section at your local Barnes & Noble