Are you over 200pds, let's diet together

Replies

• Running4Bipolar
    Running4Bipolar Posts: 29 Member
    blankr3 wrote: »
    I am 233 lbs.
    Have been overweight my whole life.
    And also have been working out my whole life (martial arts and fitness).
    I workout about 5-7 hours a week (high intensity workouts), but "you can't outrun a bad diet".
    My nutritional goals are:
    1. Eat less frequently (I am struggling with intermittent fasting)
    2. Eat more vegetables and less sugar
    My long term weight goal is 180lbs
    My mid term weight goal is 200lbs
    My short term weight goal is 210lbs

I feel like I am reading my own weightloss goals. I am currently at 240.6lbs. I want to get 200lbs, but my ultimate goal is 180lbs. I am with you. I'll be joining this challenge too.
  • VeggieMeg71
    VeggieMeg71 Posts: 205 Member
    @celticck77 Woohoo! Chiefs win!!!
  • celticck77
    celticck77 Posts: 113 Member
    @VeggieMeg71 I am so flipping happy!!!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited February 2020
    @CathyRocky: Yeah, that's how you learn sometimes. I don't even want to count the number of times I ate ALL THE SWEET and then afterwards felt awful. Eventually I learned that yes, it's tasty, but not tasty enough for the aftereffects.

And at this point, I've got my diet good enough that I feel amazing; why do I want to mess that up? I hope you can get to that point soon, because it makes it easier to resist temptation.

@JennDoingTheThing: I would seriously look into therapy to help you find ways to manage your emotions that don't involve food, and coming to a new place with food and dietary changes. It might not take all that long to get some tools to really help yourself. (But then, I believe weight is not always just about food.)
  • JennDoingTheThing
    JennDoingTheThing Posts: 24 Member

@JennDoingTheThing: I would seriously look into therapy to help you find ways to manage your emotions that don't involve food, and coming to a new place with food and dietary changes. It might not take all that long to get some tools to really help yourself. (But then, I believe weight is not always just about food.) [/quote]

I know! I keep meaning to, but it makes me nervous. I guess it's time. Thanks!
  • @JennDoingTheThing: I would seriously look into therapy to help you find ways to manage your emotions that don't involve food, and coming to a new place with food and dietary changes. It might not take all that long to get some tools to really help yourself. (But then, I believe weight is not always just about food.)

I know! I keep meaning to, but it makes me nervous. I guess it's time. Thanks!
    [/quote]

It's not terrible, and it will help. But you do have to be willing to face uncomfortable stuff. (If it wasn't uncomfortable, we wouldn't be trying to bury it under food, now would we?)
  • jockette18
    jockette18 Posts: 26 Member
    Starting weight
    1/1/20 211.4 pounds

today weight
    8/1/20 =209 pounds = 2.4 loss
    15/1/20 = 205.6 pounds = 3.4 loss
    23/1/20 = 207 pounds = 1.4 gain
    29/1/20 = 205.4 pounds = 1.6 loss

Total January Loss = -6 pounds :)

3/2/2020 = 204.8 pounds = 0.6 loss

Slow start but better than no start.....
  • celticck77
    Starting weight 01Jan2020 = 262
    Total January loss:12 Lbs
    Starting weight 01Feb2020 = 250

Feb. 3: 248
    Feb. 11:
    Feb. 18:
    Feb. 25:

Workouts have been crazy. In two days I got in 4 workouts. Sunday I worked out in the morning then later in the afternoon - had a lot of pent up energy.
    Monday I worked out then went to Volleyball, only 6 players showed up so 45 minutes all out with only a couple of minutes between matches. It was fun but I am sore. A good kind of sore.
    so far 3/3 workouts in February. I am going to try for all 29 days to do some form of a workout even if it is just a 10-20 minute HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workout.
    I will be 43 in 14 days - 10 years ago I was in pretty good shape - about 80 pounds lighter than I am now. I would like to get back there before I hit 45. Heck stretch goal would be to hit that before my next birthday but I am going to be smart about this and aim for hitting 200 by the end of this year and maintaining or losing from there until I get to around 160 - 170 and see what life is like again. Ideal weight for me is around 150-160.
  • JennDoingTheThing
    Question - what does everyone choose for activity level to get your calorie goal? I work from home, so I am sitting most of the day. But when I choose sedentary, it gives me 1,200 calories. I am mostly sedentary, but I walk up and down 2 flights of stairs about 5-6 times a day to take my dogs out. When I select lightly active, it gives me a little over 1,400 calories.

I do eat at least half my workout calories, so I'm just trying to decide which is a better fit.
  • @JennDoingTheThing: I am a bit of a different case; I have chronic pain and exercise intolerance, so since I started this at the beginning of January, I have been overcoming deconditioning and attempting to build muscle and raise my endurance, all without setting off a flare or without having to crawl into the car, get home by the grace of the gods and spend the day in bed, and possibly the next one too. So far so good.

I work out six to seven days a week. I have found through experiment I can skip one day, but two means that I lose too much ground at this point. I do weight work, using machines, and focus mostly on machines that work several different muscles at a time instead of doing one muscle group at a time. (Rowing vs. bicep curls.) I work just until I start to feel like I'm working, and then I stop. I have said earlier in this thread that I'm up to ten minutes on the recumbent bike, but I started with three minutes, then to five, then to seven, now to ten. My goal for the month is fifteen minutes, but although I could probably do that now if I have a book to read, I'm going to stay at ten for a while. Sometime around the middle of the month I will up it to thirteen, and after a week take it to fifteen. Eventually I'd like to get to thirty, but that will be very dependent on how my body takes the slow uptick in time and effort.

I don't know where my fitness is headed, beyond the need to keep my body functional. I'm not working towards being able to lift free weights...though I don't rule that out. I'm not working towards getting to where I can go to yoga classes, but I could see doing that sometime. Maybe dance of some sort, if the weight loss eases my foot pain enough. Maybe just a love of walking in state and national parks. Who knows? I do know that being strong makes me feel physically better, helps with my physical dysphoria, and makes it easier to wait on the scale to move.

And so tomorrow, even though I don't much wanna, I'll get up and go to the gym before breakfast.
  • JennDoingTheThing
    I exercise 5-6 days a week, I'm just curious about the base calorie goal and activity level (without factoring in the exercise). It's just that for being over 220 lbs, 1,200 seems reallllly low, because with exercise, it's only 1,400-something.
  • VeggieMeg71
    @JennDoingTheThing I actually put in my own goal of 1800, regardless of what it told me. I'm still losing weight and figured I could gradually lower it as I lose. I can't say I'm actually eating 1800 per day, and I'm basically ignoring the exercise calories, but I thought this would be more likely to "stick" if I started with a higher calorie goal.
  • VeggieMeg71
    This will be my first day with no exercise since January 2. I have had horrible heartburn for the last 24 hours, so I'm sitting today out. I hope to be back in action tomorrow!
  • celticck77
    @JennDoingTheThing - Mine gave me 1500 with moderate activity. I sit at a desk most of my day also. I usually go between 1200 and 1500 calories. Give yourself a range of 1200 - 1400 some days you will be closer to the 1200 and some days the 1400.
  • ladycopnh1
    ladycopnh1 Posts: 287 Member
    Total January loss: -13

Feb. 4: 258
    Feb. 11:
    Feb. 18:
    Feb. 25:

Total February loss:
  • JennDoingTheThing
    This will be my first day with no exercise since January 2. I have had horrible heartburn for the last 24 hours, so I'm sitting today out. I hope to be back in action tomorrow!

Good for you! I bet your body will be happy with the rest.
  • JennDoingTheThing
    Posting this so I have record of it. I went 2 weeks in January not being on track, so back to it now. As of this morning, I am back to 228, so those 3 lbs were probably just water weight.

1/7 - 233
    1/14 - 231
    1/21 - 228

January loss - 2 lbs (5 total, gained back 3)

2/4 - 231
    2/10 -
    2/17 -
    2/24 -