What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I also don't like custard filled or jelly filled doughnuts. With the jelly, it's more that they usually put too much in, but I don't like the custard ones at all. White cream all the way.

Agreed!! When I get creme filled, the person in front of me is almost always getting custard filled. No!

See, this is a thing I just don't understand: If the person in front of me orders something I think is yucky, I just feel happy that they left the things I do like for me, instead of gobbling them before I get to the front of the line. ;)

Back on topic: I think modern fancy cupcakes, the ones with inches of frosting on top, are revolting. Most of the time, it's not even good frosting, i.e., tastes more like shortening than butter. (I will leave these beautiful but - to me - unpleasant things right there in the display case, where one of y'all frosting lovers can enjoy buying/eating them.)

Agree.

Also, cupcakes should never have filling.

Most cakes and cupcakes are too sweet, and a well-made pie is better than a well-made cake (although I do like good cake too).

the only cupcake that should have filling is a Hostess Ding Dong. Is that a cupcake??

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

this is what I meant :)
    bk5plqvcauv6.png

Hostess has their own cupcakes! And ding dongs. And Ho Hos. And Zingers. And Snowballs. And donettes. And honeybuns. And.... :)

yeah, but Little Debbie has zebra cakes, oatmeal cream pies, nutty bars and cosmic brownies...

Personally, I think the nutty bars are the best out of everything. :) I used to love the oatmeal cream pies but haven't had them in a while.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I also don't like custard filled or jelly filled doughnuts. With the jelly, it's more that they usually put too much in, but I don't like the custard ones at all. White cream all the way.

Agreed!! When I get creme filled, the person in front of me is almost always getting custard filled. No!

See, this is a thing I just don't understand: If the person in front of me orders something I think is yucky, I just feel happy that they left the things I do like for me, instead of gobbling them before I get to the front of the line. ;)

Back on topic: I think modern fancy cupcakes, the ones with inches of frosting on top, are revolting. Most of the time, it's not even good frosting, i.e., tastes more like shortening than butter. (I will leave these beautiful but - to me - unpleasant things right there in the display case, where one of y'all frosting lovers can enjoy buying/eating them.)

Agree.

Most cakes and cupcakes are too sweet, and a well-made pie is better than a well-made cake (although I do like good cake too).

the only cupcake that should have filling is a Hostess Ding Dong. Is that a cupcake??

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Hostess has their own cupcakes! And ding dongs. And Ho Hos. And Zingers. And Snowballs. And donettes. And honeybuns. And.... :)

yeah, but Little Debbie has zebra cakes, oatmeal cream pies, nutty bars and cosmic brownies...

Personally, I think the nutty bars are the best out of everything. :) I used to love the oatmeal cream pies but haven't had them in a while.

I like nutty bars the best too. I think they held up the best through the transition to more adult tastes, although I still crave zebra cakes out of nostalgia.
  • glassyo

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

I like nutty bars the best too. I think they held up the best through the transition to more adult tastes, although I still crave zebra cakes out of nostalgia.

I recently tried the zebra cakes and they didn't do anything for me. Not enough cake? I ended up eating the cream part and that was it.
  • bark2j5
    bark2j5 Posts: 18 Member
    Avocados are gross.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

Agree.

Ding Dongs are the ones that look like chocolate covered hockey pucks I think :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

In my world, those are not even food. Uck, to me. You may have them allllll.

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Also not food, to me; also uck. They're all yours.

;)
  • glassyo

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

;)

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT TWINKIES!!!!!

@AnnPT77 You just reminded me since I think twinkies will be the last food standing. And, boyyyyyyyyy, will you be regretting your hoity toity foodie ways then! :)
  • AnnPT77

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

;)

@AnnPT77 You just reminded me since I think twinkies will be the last food standing. And, boyyyyyyyyy, will you be regretting your hoity toity foodie ways then! :)

Nope. I know how to safely prepare and eat acorns. They're pretty bad, but probably not - to me - as bad as snack cakes.

:lol:

Hoity toity? Hrmph. I didn't call you names. I gave you all the snack cakes.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Candy corn
    Mayo
    Licorice 'Allsorts'
    Malted milk chocolate balls
    Turkish Delight
    Pineapple on Pizza (actually pineapple baked into anything is pretty ick...)
    Baked apple 'anything'
    Gravy
    Beer
    Nutella (not homemade ones)

this reminds me...who loves/hates those Lofthouse cookies? lol!
  • glassyo

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

Agree.

Isn't it a ding dong?

;-)

bk5plqvcauv6.png

;)

Nope. I know how to safely prepare and eat acorns. They're pretty bad, but probably not - to me - as bad as snack cakes.

:lol:

Hoity toity? Hrmph. I didn't call you names. I gave you all the snack cakes.

LOL true. Thank you for all the snack cakes. I'm all about portion control. Now, if I could control the portion of the tres leches cake slices I eat that Vons/Pavillions/Safeway sells...

(Acorns do not sound appetizing at all.
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member
    Cauliflower tastes of soil. No matter how it's prepared, no matter how skilled the cook/chef, no matter how tasty the batter or dressing - it tastes like soil.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    This is going to be unpopular and I’m embarrassed to admit that I like these Entenmann’s donuts. When I was a kid we called them “chocolate wax donuts” because the outside is so waxy. But I grew up right near the factory so we’d get them fresh right from the factory store. Haven’t had them in a while, but I wouldn’t turn one down. nf4vcg0ig490.png

Are you a Long Islander? Because this was my childhood as well :smiley: The recipe must've changed since the 80s because I distinctly remember a more thick, crispy coating around those donuts...and it was glorious!

And, yeah, boo to custard donuts (I'll take the jelly and cream-filled ones though!) and bone-in wings.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited February 2020
    Candy corn -- bad (but does anyone actually like it?)

Mayo -- mostly bad, has a few uses

Licorice 'Allsorts' -- bad, everything licorice is bad

Malted milk chocolate balls -- bad

Turkish Delight -- very extra bad because I thought it would be wonderful because CS Lewis tricked me!

Pineapple on Pizza (actually pineapple baked into anything is pretty ick...) -- pineapple is an excellent pizza topping, I will die on this hill. My mom made baked ham with pineapple too and although I have not had it since the early '90s I have fond memories

Baked apple 'anything' -- many excellent desserts involve baked apples

Gravy -- overrated and usually unnecessary. Mashed potatoes are better with just butter, baked potatoes are better with sour cream (or greek yogurt), roasted potatoes with nothing added (cooked with a bit of olive oil and salt), well-prepared meat does not need it. Biscuits and gravy can be tasty, though.

Beer -- I used to love good beer, but cannot drink it anymore

Nutella (not homemade ones) -- I don't get the Nutella love
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    "Healthified" dessert recipes where dates are the primary sweetener are highly inconvenient and annoying. Also vegan "cheese" recipes where you need to soak cashews, etc... just too time consuming and not worth it

Yes! "Healthified" dessert recipes generally taste nothing like their real counterpart and usually leave me with nothing but regret.

I have a coworker trying to give me a chocolate chip muffin made with no sugar, oil, or eggs. And ultimately, taste free. It's not worth the calories.
  • AnnPT77

I like mayo. I've made it myself, but found it not enough better than a good commercial brand that I wanted to bother (even though making it is easy). Usually not worth its calories, though.

Licorice "Allsorts" - I like licorice, but not so much in this form. I'm perfectly happy that they're not vegetarian.

Malted milk balls - I don't like malted anything: Malted milk, malted milk balls, malts (the ice cream drink kind), . . .

Turkish delight - Most I've had was not good. I've had one or two that were pretty good: Not super sweet, more
    strongly fruity, and with lots of nice (non-stale) nuts. No to the flower-flavored ones, and generally anything flower-flavored other than actual nasturtiums, which are delicious (and beautiful in salads).

Pineapple on pizza - Dunno. It doesn't really work without the meat, at least. Like lemur, I used to like ham baked with pineapple.

Baked apple stuff - generally good, as long as not over-sweet. Baked apples themselves, really good stuffed with walnuts and blue cheese (among other options).

Gravy - Meh. If we mean meat type, obviously not vegetarian. The vegan kind made with nutritional yeast isn't worthwhile. Good mushroom gravy in certain contexts? Can be good. Not on potatoes, but maybe on noodles, for one.

Beer - If IPA, or some other strongly-flavored types, yes, please. Lite/light beer and most lagers? Uh-uh.

Nutella - No. I strongly prefer chocolate without any hazelnut flavor at all, and don't love hazelnut flavor in a lot of other contexts (though I've had the nuts themselve occasionally in things that tasted good).

In general, many "flavors" that are not the thing itself aren't very good, like banana flavor or butter flavor, etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I like mayo. I've made it myself, but found it not enough better than a good commercial brand that I wanted to bother (even though making it is easy). Usually not worth its calories, though.

I usually make it myself when I want it, since I never have it on hand (as I want it rarely) and it's easy.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Candy corn -- bad (but does anyone actually like it?)
    Agree, though we used to love it.

Mayo -- mostly bad, has a few uses -
    I'm not a mayo fan, but have used it successfully when breading chicken, so there's that.

Licorice 'Allsorts' -- bad, everything licorice is bad.
    Agree. I can deal with red licorice, but I don't like black licorice at all.

Malted milk chocolate balls -- bad.
    Can take them or leave them.

Turkish Delight -- very extra bad because I thought it would be wonderful because CS Lewis tricked me!
    I haven't tried it, but I believe it's related to rahadlakum, which I also haven't tried, but which has a song describing it from the musical "Kismet". And from "Timbuktu", here's the one and only Eartha Kitt teasing the audience with her rendition of the recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wc_JDBsqeE

Pineapple on Pizza (actually pineapple baked into anything is pretty ick...) -- pineapple is an excellent pizza topping, I will die on this hill. My mom made baked ham with pineapple too and although I have not had it since the early '90s I have fond memories.
    My sister introduced me to Brooklyn pineapple pizza, and it isn't bad.

Baked apple 'anything' -- many excellent desserts involve baked apples
    Agree. No argument.

Gravy -- overrated and usually unnecessary. Mashed potatoes are better with just butter, baked potatoes are better with sour cream (or greek yogurt), roasted potatoes with nothing added (cooked with a bit of olive oil and salt), well-prepared meat does not need it. Biscuits and gravy can be tasty, though.
    I have no strong opinions about gravy....

Beer -- I used to love good beer, but cannot drink it anymore
    For me, I'd much rather have wine. Not nuts about beer.

Nutella (not homemade ones) -- I don't get the Nutella love
    Same, though I've never tried home-made nutella.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    Candy corn- gross

Mayo- I don't mind light mayo but don't care for full fat, I'd rather have mustard. Superbowl dips had mayo in them and it made me feel sick after eating a bit.

Pineapple on pizza- don't care for but it's always with Canadian bacon and I don't like the latter.

Gravy- only if the turkey is dry. I DO like my Mom's hamburgers over rice with gravy but in general don't care for it, especially on mashed potatoes.

Nutella- never tried but I don't care for the taste of hazelnuts, they're my least favorite nut.

Baked apple- LOVE! I bake one for oatmeal every day.

Licorice- love anise so I love black licorice, but the good stuff. I like red but definitely not Twizzlers, those are awful.

Malted chocolate balls- I like them, loved them as a kid but if I'm at the movies I'd rather have Butterfingers or Milk Duds.

Beer- only the good stuff. I got drunk on Miller in high school and lost it at a concert, I definitely can't drink that ever again without wanting to throw up!

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Candy corn
    Mayo
    Licorice 'Allsorts'
    Malted milk chocolate balls
    Turkish Delight
    Pineapple on Pizza (actually pineapple baked into anything is pretty ick...)
    Baked apple 'anything'
    Gravy
    Beer
    Nutella (not homemade ones)

this reminds me...who loves/hates those Lofthouse cookies? lol!

THANK YOU! I don't understand why people like malted milk balls! And milk duds.. Also don't like beer, nutella or baked apples (except pie)

However, I do like Mayo, licorice (good and plenty!), pineapple on pizza, gravy.