New products that caught your eyes recently?

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    Filed under "not new but new to me," I thought that our most recent chocolate taste test may be of interest to folks here.

cqmpc9w5nbzq.png

To make this short...I thought this bar was bad. It tastes like "diet" chocolate, which is what it is: it's a chocolate bar with various zero calorie sweeteners instead of sugar. The texture is all wrong, and the flavor is inconsistent at best. It certainly does not hold a candle to the many, many delicious bars that sell for a similar price. If you're concerned about fitting chocolate into your calorie goals, my advice would be to have a smaller piece of higher quality chocolate rather than eating this.

What are your thoughts on Lily's chocolate and other "low suagr" chocolate products? @apullum genuinely curious because you are the resident chocolate aficionado ! :)

I haven’t tried Lily’s because I don’t usually like stevia, so I’m very hesitant on that brand specifically. But I do like Jojo’s!

I bought some Lily's peanut butter cups and they were weird,very dry middle and crumbled everytime I took a bite,think I'd rather just stick with Reese's mini cups and portion them out,heck the calories aren't much different anyways 🤷
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Filed under "not new but new to me," I thought that our most recent chocolate taste test may be of interest to folks here.

cqmpc9w5nbzq.png

To make this short...I thought this bar was bad. It tastes like "diet" chocolate, which is what it is: it's a chocolate bar with various zero calorie sweeteners instead of sugar. The texture is all wrong, and the flavor is inconsistent at best. It certainly does not hold a candle to the many, many delicious bars that sell for a similar price. If you're concerned about fitting chocolate into your calorie goals, my advice would be to have a smaller piece of higher quality chocolate rather than eating this.

What are your thoughts on Lily's chocolate and other "low suagr" chocolate products? @apullum genuinely curious because you are the resident chocolate aficionado ! :)

I haven’t tried Lily’s because I don’t usually like stevia, so I’m very hesitant on that brand specifically. But I do like Jojo’s!

I bought some Lily's peanut butter cups and they were weird,very dry middle and crumbled everytime I took a bite,think I'd rather just stick with Reese's mini cups and portion them out,heck the calories aren't much different anyways 🤷

Very good to know, and justifies me not buying them :) Maybe Lily's is using a low fat peanut butter filling, like rehydrated PB2 or something? Or maybe the sweeteners just dry it out? We got that dry texture from The Good Chocolate too, but it was just a bar with no filling.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Why is there no lemon cream pie poptart?! Or key lime?!

Ooo, now THAT would be amazing! Tart lemon filling with maybe a meringue flavored frosting?! But, yeah, that popcorn one sounds gross, tbh. And I love me some popcorn.

Mmm lemon actually sounds really good! I am so surprised they haven’t had one yet. It would work really well with having them both toasted and cold.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    oldsoul918 wrote: »

This is right up my alley! Really is my favorite part of an ice cream cone lol.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    z0xcu6gf8r8k.jpeg

Dammit, built bar! And it's covered in milk chocolate which I've been hoping for in a full size bar because their milk chocolate is reeeeeeally good but I can't buy more.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    jwoolman5 wrote: »

If anybody needs to eat nondairy or vegan, Justin's or Cleo's peanut butter cups are pretty good. Also Free2B sunflower butter variation on the theme is my favorite and I keep some in the freezer. I don't think these are intended as low calorie, you would have to check the nutritional info.

Just stay away from the EatingEvolved brand. I tried their coconut butter cups. I love all things coconut, but they were so bad I couldn't finish them. Yuck yuck ptooie. I think they are peddling them now as keto candy. They were an extreme example of "health food" that was so focused on being "healthy" that they forgot to taste good. I only tried them because they were nondairy.

One Halloween season I was so tempted by the allergenic Reese's peanut butter cups (dairy allergy) in your face on every visit to the grocery store, I almost went out at 3 am to get some... I came to my senses and looked up homemade nondairy (vegan) versions on the net to get an idea about proportions, and just mixed together about equal amounts of peanut butter, cocoa powder, sugar (actually, I used granulated xylitol: recipes said confectionery sugar but I didn't bother blending it, so the result was a tad grainy) and some coconut oil. Then I just ate it with a spoon. Instant Reese's craving fix and dairy-free. Also sugar-free because of the xylitol, although that wasn't my intent. I just didn't have any regular sugar available (I use xylitol for oral health, not usually for making food).

There are tons of recipes for homemade Reese's on the net, some use just chocolate and peanut butter to actually make peanut butter filled cups.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of anything I've tried in either Justin's or Cleo's. What I would recommend for folks who want chocolate and can't have dairy is to try out dark chocolate, which by definition does not contain milk. Dark chocolate does not have to be super dark. I've seen "dark" chocolate as low as 55%, but in that range, you'd want to check labels carefully as some will actually be "dark milk"--i.e., it contains milk but has a much higher percent cacao than traditional milk chocolates, which are usually around 30-35%...unless we're talking Hershey's or similar cheap chocolate, which is somewhere around 10%.

Those dark milk chocolates are really lovely if one can eat milk, but I digress.

I really enjoy this Divine bar, 60% with sea salt. It's delicious, vegan, and sourced in ways that are sustainable for both people and the planet: http://shop.divinechocolateusa.com/60-dark-chocolate-with-pink-himalayan-salt/p/div-004616&c=divinechocolate@bestsellers

For something with nuts, I would recommend this Tony's bar, 51% with sea salt and almond, vegan. Tony's business practices are also outstanding: https://tonyschocolonely.com/us/en/chocoshop/product/dark-almond-seasalt-51-6oz35-1-bar

My favorite bar that seems to meet your needs, though, is this Chocolove 55%: https://www.chocolove.com/shop/dark-chocolate-55-cocoa/. Contains no animal products, but they don't label it "vegan" because some chocolate may have been made on equipment shared with milk chocolate, so it may or may not be suitable for you. They are very detailed about this in the FAQ. Like the others, Chocolove also has many commitments to sustainable and ethical chocolate sourcing. Chocolove makes almond butter and peanut butter cups using this chocolate, but those appear to have milk in them.

For peanut butter cups, I've made my own with decent results. I believe I used a mixture of PB2 and creamy peanut butter for the filling, and I stuck them in the freezer to firm them up.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    sn3482mtnhgp.jpeg
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited February 2020
    glassyo wrote: »
    z0xcu6gf8r8k.jpeg

Dammit, built bar! And it's covered in milk chocolate which I've been hoping for in a full size bar because their milk chocolate is reeeeeeally good but I can't buy more.

They just had a sale, too! I'll have to wait for the next one, unless this is a limited edition...

...damn it, it is...
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member

cqmpc9w5nbzq.png

If you ever see Theo's peanut butter cups they're really good, I went to two chocolate stores in Seattle and they were my favorite chocolate peanut butter combination between there and Fran's chocolate (had the better salted caramels). On another vacation I treated everyone to candy at Rocky Mountain and their chocolate peanut butter buckets are really good though I'd pick Theo's over it.

• cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    z0xcu6gf8r8k.jpeg

It's already sold out. I was ready to finally try Built Bars with that flavor. I'm a sucker for cookies and cream.
  • glassyo
    cdudley628 wrote: »
    z0xcu6gf8r8k.jpeg

It's already sold out. I was ready to finally try Built Bars with that flavor. I'm a sucker for cookies and cream.

LOL me too. I'm totally on a cookies and cream kick. I just bought the cookies and cream oreo candy bar after debating because I'm not big on white chocolate but I finally broke down. It's very white chocolatey. :p
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    okay not a new product but I don't want to be that person that starts a new thread on a topic that's been discussed 10,000 times.

BUT... for those who have tried ONE bars, what is your favorite flavor?? Ranking of flavors??

Recently bought some on sale (not my go-to protein bar) and am thinking of buying some more... but I want to make sure the flavors I'm getting are actually worth buying!

Thoughts??
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    BUT... for those who have tried ONE bars, what is your favorite flavor?? Ranking of flavors??

Here’s my favorites...

1. Almond Bliss
    2. Birthday Cake
    3. Blueberry Cobbler
    4. Maple Glazed Doughnut
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    z0xcu6gf8r8k.jpeg

I just ordered a box today! I'll report back on taste when it comes :)
  • glassyo
    z0xcu6gf8r8k.jpeg

I just ordered a box today! I'll report back on taste when it comes :)

To rub it in???????

😀