Batch work lunches?

Kirstthevegan
Kirstthevegan Posts: 7 Member
Hi, what does everyone take to have for lunch at work? I’ve made butternut squash curry in the slow cooker for about 5 weeks now and I’m getting a bit bored of it haha! Would also like something not curry related as I like to have that for dinner after work sometimes. Ideally something I could batch cook, 300-400 calories per portion. Vegan or veganisble 😊

Replies

• Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Any sort of veggie casserole: broccoli, cauliflower, potato. Even big batches of steamed vegetables are good for several days. Drizzle them with a good vinaigrette dressing and eat them cold or heat them up if you like.
  • OMG I loooove buffalo cauliflower "wings" for a snack or side dish. It's a head of cauliflower broken up and washed, air fried (or roasted would likely work, too) after tossing in 1 cup of buffalo sauce with seasonings of your choice. about half of the cauliflower is what I use for a serving, but it's higher on the calories. Probably close to 250. For a side AND big veggie source, though, it's worth it to me! :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Leftovers usually. We have a gazillion recipes saved to Pinterest and every weekend we browse and determine our dinner menu for the following week. This way we have good variety throughout the week and we also save on the grocery bill and cut down on waste.

We pick recipes that are tasty, easy and relatively quick for a weeknight, and at least 2 or 3 recipes that will provide enough leftovers for my wife and I to take for lunch the next day or a couple days later.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I know you said batch lunches, but what about sandwiches or salads?
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    I like to make a sweet potato "chili" for lunches. Canned tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped), meat protein (I have used ground turkey, ground beef), onion, salsa (if you have it), broth/stock (if you want it more soupy). I will add some kale about 2 hours before it is done.

You can add beans, carrots, celery-whatever you like.

Toss it all in the crockpot; season to your liking.

This week I was tight on my budget--so I used leftover chicken drumsticks. I cut the meat of the bone, diced and tossed in the crockpot with everything else.

You can add sour cream, cheese, avocado to top it.

• Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited February 2020
    I like to do burrito bowls. I put chicken or ground beef in mine but a vegan version would not be hard by just having the beans or by adding something like tofu or tempeh:
    spanish rice (you could use veggie broth)
    black beans or refried beans
    grilled/roasted onions and poblanos (I make a big batch on a sheet pan)
    lettuce
    pico de gallo or tomatoes
    salsa
    guacamole

I also like to make a big stir fry on the weekend and take that.
  • rhinoballet
    rhinoballet Posts: 29 Member
    edited February 2020
    Slow cooker stuffed peppers. This makes enough to fill 2-3 small peppers, but it scales up easily.
    2-3 bell peppers (I like the multi color packs)
    1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
    14oz can black beans, no salt added. rinsed and drained.
    8oz can tomato paste, no salt added
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    3/4 cup shredded mozzarella; divided (omit or subs with a vegan alternative)
    1/4 cup diced onion
    cilantro to garnish

Cut around the stems of the peppers, remove seeds and ribs. Mix together quinoa, tomato paste, spices, 1/2 cup cheese, and onion. Fill the peppers. Pour 1/4" to 1/2" water in the crockpot. Place peppers in, standing up. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2 hours. Remove lid, top with remaining cheese, cook another 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted. Garnish with cilantro.
    I like that you don't need to precook the quinoa, so it's all pretty much one step, and you don't have a bunch of dishes to wash after.

I'd be interested in your curry recipe if you don't mind sharing!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Soup, any variety you likd. For lunch purposes I make ones with lentils, or pearl barley as otherwise they don't fill me up enough.
    Bean based chilli, with baked potato or flatbread
    Make a batch of salad, a grain base (quinoa, bulghar wheat etc) with roast veg, tomatoes or whatever you fancy.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,070 Member
    I often do a low fat chili - though I use chicken you could use baked tofu or smoked tofu or tempeh or something like that. I take a can of black beans, a can of diced Italian style tomatoes, garlic, pepper, a little hot sauce (can be mild or hot as you like) and sometimes turmeric. Now I personally add a 10 ounce can of chicken breast but see above. I mix it up and that gives me anywhere between four and six servings for lunches. For bonus points I pack them in those cool little one cup Pyrex containers with the snap on lids.

Simple, easy, good amount of fiber and protein, and pretty tasty depending on what spices you use.
  • My go-tos lately have been stuffed peppers and ratatouille.
    Stuffed Peppers:
    Beefless ground beef (Trader Joe's)
    Cauliflower Rice
    Bell Peppers
    Garlic/Onion
    Taco Seasoning
    Tomato Sauce/Marinara
    Cheese (you can veganize!)
    Saute onions and garlic, add in cauliflower rice, add in beefless ground beef and seasoning, then add in tomato sauce. Mix in a little bit of cheese as a binder. I throw the bell peppers for 5-10 minutes before stuffing them so they get a little soft but still hold their shape. Then I stuff them, top with some more cheese, and cook them for about a half hour at 350/400. I add a dollop of Greek yogurt and green onion when eating for dinner. It's delish!

Ratatouille:
    Yellow Onion (1)
    Zucchini (2-3)
    Yellow Squash (2-3)
    Bell Peppers (2)
    Tomatoes (about 4 large)
    Garlic (2-3 cloves)
    I slice up the onions, cut them in half, then saute with the garlic for about 10 minutes. I toss in the zucchini and yellow squash (sliced into half-moons) and add some herbs de provence seasoning. Let that saute for another 10 minutes. Add in sliced bell peppers (any colors work!), saute that for about 10 minutes. Then add in the tomatoes (I use heirloom tomatoes, but romas or beefsteaks would work great! Avoid the small ones - you want the juice!). Let that cook down for 10-20 minutes, or however long you want. I serve it with some balsamic vinegar, goat cheese, and fresh basil, topped with black pepper. It's super yummy, makes a big batch with plenty of servings, and is full of healthy veggies. I crave it now and usually make it once a month. And I never feel guilty eating it, even in large portions!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Various soups (my favourite is a spicy lentil soup with kale)
    Chili
    Rice bowls with broccoli, chicken or tofu, bean sprouts, peas, whatever other veg.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    I tend to go with bowls which largely consist of quinoa, protein (usually beans, chicken, or salmon), and veggies. I switch up the themes a bit - this week is Mediterranean - quinoa, chickpeas seasoned with cumin, and a cucumber/tomato/onion salad with some balsamic - and some feta. Easy to make up and dole out into portions for the week.

Other weeks I do Mexican themed - quinoa, black beans or chicken, veggies, avocado/yogurt sauce. Sometimes it's salmon, quinoa, spinach/veggies, with a citrus vinaigrette.

I like the flexibility of eating them hot or cold, throwing whatever I need to use in there, and feeling full through most of the afternoon. I believe mine come out to 400-500 calories but it would be easy to adjust down based on volume and/or ingredients.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I know you said batch lunches, but what about sandwiches or salads?

I'll prep several days of sandwiches at once. Stick each one in an old grocery bag with some fruit, carrots/vegetables, and a yogurt. Good to go.