Recipes for a sweet tooth

TiffanyMiffany
TiffanyMiffany Posts: 9 Member
I have a huge sweet tooth, it’s my hardest habit to kick while eating/drinking healthier. I’d appreciate any recipes for healthy desserts, sweet snacks, and sweet drinks! I have a new air fryer, so I’m especially interested in air fryer recipes!

Replies

• TiffanyMiffany
    TiffanyMiffany Posts: 9 Member
    Sharing the first recipe I tried out, a healthier version than the usual extremely sugary apple crisp I usually make; this version was very tasty, and can be topped with your favorite lower carb topping like low carb ice cream/fro yo (ie: Breyer’s carb smart or I like to make my own)

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/healthy-apple-crisp/
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 527 Member
    Recipe for Sweet Tooth

Take one tooth, roll in 1T of Sugar.
    Enjoy.

Yes, just being silly here!

This is my favorite recipe for baked oatmeal. I omit the raisins, and use Truvia brown sugar blend instead of regular brown sugar, and a cup of fat free evaporated milk in place of the skim milk, I think it makes it more rich tasting. Often I'll replace the apple with 1 pint of blueberries, and I can't decide which I like more! While not a dessert, who says you can have sweet as your meal? 😉 And run it through the recipe maker here at MFP, especially if you make the changes I make, as it drops the calories down to 266 per serving.

https://www.food.com/recipe/baked-oatmeal-223392
  • guitargirl55
    guitargirl55 Posts: 258 Member

I also have a HUGE sweet tooth. :) Here are my hacks:

I make smoothies at home ALL the time. They are super sweet, and a HUGE smoothie ( 2 cups) with frozen fruit some unsweetened Greek yogurt, Stevia sweetener, and coco powder tastes like chocolate and is less than 200ish calories.

Look up some recipes for avocado double chocolate chip cookies - SO GOOD! They are not necessarily low calorie, but definitely more healthy and really dark chocolaty and fudgy.

I buy Zevia soda, the fruit flavors are the best, and it is zero calorie without aspartame.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    ***My Breakfast Cheesecake***
    1 large, Egg
    1 tbsp, Syrup(Double if you want it to taste really good)
    0.25 Cup, Greek Yogurt
    0.50 tbsp, Butter(Double if you want it to taste really good)
    0.25 cup uncooked, Oat Cereal With Raisins, Flaxseed, Almonds and Walnuts
    0.10 tsp, Cinnamon Sugar

Preheat to 350.Melt butter in 1 cup ramekin, add muesli, sprinkle cinn.sugar...Mix egg, yogurt, and maple syrup until smooth and then pour on top of muesli. Sprinkle a bit more cinn.sugar. Bake in toaster oven 350 for 1st 10 min. and then 300 for 20 or 30 more until slightly browned. Refrigerate for an hour or two
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 316
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 13 g 20 %
    Saturated Fat 5 g 25 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 202 mg 67 %
    Sodium 145 mg 6 %
    Potassium 319 mg 9 %
    Total Carbohydrate 37 g 12 %
    Dietary Fiber 4 g 16 %
    Sugars 20 g
    Protein 16 g 32 %
    Vitamin A 10 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 11 %
    Iron 11 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    One trick I've found is to use the same recipes, but just trim the sugar down - it seems like this is especially applicable in American recipes. I don't bake a lot of desserts, but I have found that I can cut the sugar down quite substantially without a noticeable impact on flavor or texture. For icing I will make half the recommended amount because then I don't have to feel bad about not using it all (seriously, why am I making enough to frost *two* cakes rather generously when the stated recipe is just for one?)

There's also weighing the ingredients for more precision and eating smaller portions, too. Not always fun, but it's a way to still have your favorites without feeling like "oh gross this is just diet dessert."

For pies, crisps, and cobblers you can use a mix of sweeter and tart fruits so you're not relying just on the sauce for sweetness. Local fruit is often smaller but sweeter and less iffy on eating right when it's very ripe, because it didn't have to travel as far to get to you.

I like to make my own whipped cream (very easy if you have a stand mixer with whisk attachment). Heavy cream, a touch of powdered sugar, and vanilla. Cover the mixer with a kitchen towel to avoid splatter and gradually crank that baby up all the way. (You can also skip the sugar and vanilla and if you run it longer you can make your own butter! Did that as a history/science project with my kids this year.) It's less sweet than buying it. I like it to top fruit as an easy summer treat - it feels fancier than just having fruit (also an option), but it's lower calorie and less effort than actually cooking something.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Dissolve 1 package sugar-free Jello in 1c. boiling water. Add ~1 cup frozen berries - stir until it starts to thicken. Add 1 cup Greek yogurt. Gave it a good mix with an electric hand mixer and chill until firm.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Some sweet recipes I use:

Chia pudding - I use with vanilla & FlaxMilk. Sometimes I add in berries or dragonfruit.

Cottage cheese and berries

Dragonfruit custard - dragonfruit, coconut milk, sweetener

Baked pears or baked apples with ricotta topping

Any sorbet - fruit or vegetable of choice .. make purée, add fruit or sweetener and freeze or chill on ice cream setting in Vitamix. Spinach sorbet in vitamix is surprisingly good.
  • Rondaofmordhiem
    Rondaofmordhiem Posts: 4 Member
    I made these yummy pecan pie bars. I substituted sugar and honey for the Truvia stuff. Ended up being less calories! From 90 with the Truvia to 80 with the sugar and honey.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/reduced-sugar-quick-crescent-pecan-pie-bars/23a9752b-c69e-4833-948a-83c0f213c46a
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    I've successfully made meringue for pavlova swapping out half the sugar by volume with Stevia. To cut down calories in a pavlova, swap out some or all of the whipped cream with no fat yoghurt. Top with fresh fruit.

Creme caramel and creme brulee (if you have a blow torch) also works with a sugar substitute in the pudding body. You will need to to use real sugar for the caramel.
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    It's not much of a recipe, more so combination of two items lol. My fav sweettooth go to is - Halo Top Vanilla Carmel Milkshake ice cream and a Carmel Rice Cake crumbled on top. 1 serving (of both items) is only 160 calories and the crunch/ice cream combo is AMAZING!! Even if one decided to indulge and have 2 servings its 320 calories which is pretty low compared to most ice cream desserts.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    Combine however you'd like, with whatever you'd like:
    Lite 'cool whip' (whipped topping) - 10 cal/tbsp
    Reduced calorie swiss miss (40 calories/packet)
    Cocoa powder (unsweetened - 5 calories tbsp)
    Graham crackers - 130 calories for two sheets
    Mini tootsie pops - 60 calories per three - these are my favorite because they last a bit
    Sugar free jello mix (I don't remember the calories but low and I never use a whole pack)
    Sugar free jam/jelly (about 10 calories tbsp)
    Sugar free hershey's syrup (5 cal per tbsp)
    Outside (or other all fruit) frozen bars - 40-70ish calories each
    Fudge bars (regular old fudgcicles) - 80 calories.

The cocoa powder or hot chocolate mix I regularly put in my coffee.
    Whipped topping with strawberries dipped in is delicious.
    Frozen whipped topping between graham crackers (2 sheets, each broken in half) and frozen and it's an 'ice cream sandwich' that's 210 calories for FOUR)
    Jelly and cocoa powder and hot chocolate mix are great in oatmeal
    Jello pudding mix in greek yogurt = pudding that's delicious and proteiny.

All of the above said, my go to at this point is a serving of kodiak cakes oatmeal + a tbsp of nutella. Comes out to about 300 calories between the two which isn't exactly *low* calorie, but it's a sweet meal and it's protein/fat/fiber and sticks with me a LONG time.

Well that and 'save 200 calories, eat a candybar'. That's my real go to. Today's was mocha kitkat
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    And while i'm at it, if you're not looking to volume eat your sweets, I have had good success and been happy with mini things. Mini ice cream cones (drumsticks = 70 calorie per tiny one, or bluebunny 130 for a bigger but still small one), two bite brownies (80 calories each), mini chocolate chips are 80 calories at tbsp and can go a long way for a chocolate craving because you have to eat them slowly.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    edited July 2021
    I have dessert every day as I have a massive sweet tooth. Saving some calories for a treat really helps my motivation. Some of my favourites:

Mini ice cream pots
    Small chocolate bar
    Baked apple, made by cutting out the core and replacing with raisins mixed with some brown sugar.
    Merangue nest with fruit and low calorie whipped cream.