Best 30 min at home work out, go!

I'm looking to workout at home for 30 minutes once a day to lose weight. Any links would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Agree with above, but also ...

What do you have at home? Exercise equipment? Flights of stairs?

Can you leave the house?

For example, part of my commute to/from work is walking, I've got 10 flights of stairs at work, and an hour at lunch to go walking or running. I've got a home gym, bicycles to ride outside, and a nice place to running and walking.

So I've got quite a variety of options ... but your situation might be different.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    30 mins of rowing @ day wks 4 me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    You can lose weight without exercising and the best 30 min workout is one that you enjoy doing and will stick with over the long term.

Home workouts are only limited by what equipment you have access to (and room for). Do you enjoy running? A half hour run (shorter if your fitness level isn't there yet) a few times a week will certainly improve your cardiovascular fitness. You can get started on strength training with body weight exercises and then add weights. Have a skipping rope? That'll get your heart pumping and sweat on.... Rowing (alternating between steady state and intervals) will get you into shape too!

There are also lots of videos on YouTube etc.

Find your bliss!

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    I'm loving Beachbody On Demand. There are like 800 videos total to choose from and many programs are 30 min or less per day. Plus it let's you have variety incase you get bored doing the same thing every day.
  • Katie_Hege2020
    Katie_Hege2020 Posts: 13 Member
    You will become bored very fast if you do the same workout every day.
    Pick 3 days to do a cardio for 30 mins (running, rowing, elliptical, etc.), 3 days for strength/HIIT/circuit. Give yourself at least 1 total rest day or you will be burned out quickly.

My week as an example:
    Sunday: Run, Yoga/Stretch
    Monday: Rock Climbing
    Tuesday Run, Yoga/Stretch
    Wednesday: BodyPUMP or Circuit training
    Thursday: Run, Yoga/Stretch
    Friday: REST, maybe some yoga if feeling sore
    Saturday: BodyPUMP or Circuit training

This is totally doable if you don't have access to a gym, there are tons of youtube videos with 30 min no equipment HIIT workouts. Also, I like to use the Keep Fitness app when I am traveling or not able to get to the gym for some reason.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I agree with others to look for something you enjoy doing. I hate cardio, but I get 30min-1hr in daily usually because I freaking LOVE to play a VR game called Beat Saber which doubles as a cardio workout. So even though I feel like my arms are about to fall off and sweat is pouring off of me, I usually keep going because it doesn't feel like a workout, it's just fun.

There are tons of free options on youtube/online, but as far as strength building/endurance I think Zuzka Light has some of the best programs out there for home. You will need some basic equipment for most of them however like a kettlebell, dumbbells, sliders, resistance bands, pullup bar, etc. Most of her workouts are in the 25min range.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I loved You Are Your Own Gym (app) before I used the equipment room at the gym. You can tell it what equipment you have (furniture works great), how long you want to work out, and at what level (beginner, moderate, intermediate, elite).

But eat less to lose weight. Work out to get strong.
  • kczemerys
    kczemerys Posts: 11 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Agree with above, but also ...

What do you have at home? Exercise equipment? Flights of stairs?

Can you leave the house?

For example, part of my commute to/from work is walking, I've got 10 flights of stairs at work, and an hour at lunch to go walking or running. I've got a home gym, bicycles to ride outside, and a nice place to running and walking.

So I've got quite a variety of options ... but your situation might be different.

Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot at home. I have a few free weights, a step, and a large fitness ball.
  • kczemerys
    kczemerys Posts: 11 Member
    jelleigh wrote: »
    I'm loving Beachbody On Demand. There are like 800 videos total to choose from and many programs are 30 min or less per day. Plus it let's you have variety incase you get bored doing the same thing every day.

Thank you, this is what I'm looking for! So many people are telling me to just Google stuff, like I know how to Google, I'm looking for what people like, what's popular, insights into why they like it. So thank you!
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Burpees till ya puke! Haha just kidding don’t need to do that many...
  • wiigelec
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    jelleigh wrote: »

This. Beachbody is my favorite for at home workouts.
  • Avetotustuus
    Avetotustuus Posts: 56 Member
    I am also a big fan of Beachbody on Demand workouts.
  • nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    Another vote for Beachbody On Demand! There is a 2-week free trial, and then it's $99/year for unlimited access after that. I just finished 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix Extreme (couple days of the latter left).. both are 30 minutes/day programs.. and are great for beginners/intermediates. Check it out!!
  • wiigelec
    edited February 2020
    kczemerys wrote: »
    Thank you, this is what I'm looking for! So many people are telling me to just Google stuff, like I know how to Google, I'm looking for what people like, what's popular, insights into why they like it. So thank you!
    Personally I invested in a squat rack, Olympic weight set and flat bench for less than $1k and do squat, bench, press and deadlift at home. Best bang for the buck training wise and I can do it very easily with busy kid schedules and the like not having to travel to the gym.

The investment has paid itself many times over the last few years...

• imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    30 day shred dvd jillian Michael's.
    Combine it with a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight, feel fitter and have a new hatred for that woman 😂
  • gwinhart17
    gwinhart17 Posts: 34 Member
    As everyone else has pretty much said, you have to track CICO for weight loss. Exercise for strength and physical health. And for me personally, motivation to eat better. Lol. You said you have a step board? I reccomend Amy Ford's beginner cardio step workout on you tube. Its 30 mins, easy to follow, and torches some cals! Once you start getting used to it you can add risers to your step board for an even bigger challenge. As she says "the moves dont have to be complicated to get a good workout" I workout 5-6 days a week for about 2-3 hours a day, plus an hour of cardio, burning roughly around 6-800 cals a day. And this beginner step still has me sweating my butt off. It probably burns more calories than anything else I do. But I absolutely love (and sometimes hate) it!! Lol. I try to do it 3× a week, on Monday, Wed, and Fri, let me know what you think! And good luck 🙂

https://youtu.be/qNAeuOs866Y