Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If a calorie is a calorie, why do we see this?

Replies

• wruper
    wruper Posts: 43 Member
    Sure wish I Could sleep better. Feel better in morning fasting than after I eat. Usually don't eat breakfast until noon or a bit after.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    SEVENTH

Study made in Germany just published in the The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
    https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/105/3/dgz311/5740411

Discussion

Our data show that the time of day of food intake makes a difference in humans’ energy expenditure and metabolic responses to meals.
    We clearlyshow that DIT is 2.5 times higher after breakfast than after dinner.
    Overall, the diurnal variations in DIT, independent of the calorie content of the meals, imply that the time of food intake is important not only in the prevention of obesity but also in terms of diets for weight loss.

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    saintor1 wrote: »
    SEVENTH

Study made in Germany just published in the The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism

Discussion

Our data show that the time of day of food intake makes a difference in humans’ energy expenditure and metabolic responses to meals.
    Overall, the diurnal variations in DIT, independent of the calorie content of the meals, imply that the time of food intake is important not only in the prevention of obesity but also in terms of diets for weight loss.

What even is DIT?
  • estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    I just listened to an article on utube.It said if we lower our calories our bodies start to use less calories and can maintain on 1000 calories.He said the way to get down to a healthy weigh to eat mostly whole food and not much junk food.
  • estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    thanks,that was a horrible thought to be maintaining at just 1000 calories and no loger losing weight.
  • magnusthenerd
    thanks,that was a horrible thought to be maintaining at just 1000 calories and no loger losing weight.

A generic RMR calculator wouldn't even put that as resting maintenance for 70 pound, 4ft tall woman.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    SEVENTH

Discussion

What even is DIT?

dietary induced thermogenesis (DIT)

thank you google-gods ;)
  • magnusthenerd
    SEVENTH

Discussion

What even is DIT?

thank you google-gods ;)

Honestly wanted saintor to answer.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    SEVENTH

Discussion

What even is DIT?

thank you google-gods ;)

Me too. Based on the thread so far I think he's unable to discuss what he posts.

i need a gif of me sticking my tongue out ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

Don't worry. I'm a li'l ol' lady who lost 1/3 of her body weight in less than a year, and maintain at more than twice that. Don't do anything super dumb while losing (like ultra-fast loss, poor nutrition, zero exercise) and you'll be fine. You might even be fine of you do those things, but not doing them improves your odds.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    SEVENTH

Discussion

What even is DIT?

thank you google-gods ;)

Me too. Based on the thread so far I think he's unable to discuss what he posts.

I also wonder why it seems to be so important. None of this stuff is sufficient to outweigh compliance factors (at best).

In my experience, people like to complicate things. It makes them feel special...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    SEVENTH

Discussion

What even is DIT?

thank you google-gods ;)

I also wonder why it seems to be so important. None of this stuff is sufficient to outweigh compliance factors (at best).

In my experience, people like to complicate things. It makes them feel special...

Or a felt need to debunk the theory that calories are what matter for weight management, in this case?