60 yrs and up

Replies

• Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Good post GTBB, and the links were helpful.

I have lost over 100 pounds more than once in life, and am kind of there again. Down 98 lbs since I began my current diet, and 138 lbs from my all time high. I am still dieting and losing weight, but worry about how I will be able to keep it off. I have never been able to do it before, I need to learn something new this time. I need all the help I can get.

When losing weight I find seeing the scale go down, and things like fitting into smaller clothes great reinforcement. However that all goes away in maintenance. I guess I need to find something to replace it. One problem I have is that I guess I have been in the fast weight loss mode, the article advises against that so my problem may be worse. On the other hand at my age with 100+ pounds to lose I am not sure I would have lived long enough to do it slowly.

I don't think there's any set formula. I think we all have to find what works for us and try to do it as healthily as we can. Especially if we have a lot to lose and our health is at risk until we lose a good amount of it. As long as you are feeling good and have lots of energy you should be on the right track.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Best wishes for success bethe!! If you're looking for support you've come to the right place. This is a very supportive group. Everyone is trying to help each other out and give good advice about what works.

I have the exercise part of weight lose down since I've always been active. But the food end always gives me trouble. I've been doing well but got off track today and couldn't seem to bring it back. I think mindful eating is the way to go but I also think it's going to take a lot more practice and more good and not so good days. I will keep working on it and practicing it. Sugar is my weakness and the thing that usually gets me off track. I've got to find some creative ways to cope with sugar in my diet. I try to eat very little but now and then I give in and have a desert and then it tends to trigger a binge. My husband loves his treats so I can't keep them out of the house entirely. He can afford to eat them and is very active so he burns off the calories he eats. I just need more will power to be able to say that's all I am going to have. Hopefully time and awareness will resolve the issue.

Wishing you all a healthy day.
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Hey everyone! How is everyone? I am doing good lost 1 lb. this week ! Woo hoo! I can do this. I just want to encourage everyone to keep going we can all reach our goals have a good night!
  • tzirkle1956
    tzirkle1956 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2020
    Alligatorob, Three things make a person plateau... 1) portion control.. (You might be eating the right foods; but, are you careful about the portions. Are there additional calorie drinks or other foods outside your meal plan?). 2) Water... (Are you diligent about drinking 64 oz (8 glasses) of water daily to flush your system?). If you don't maintain consistent water levels; your body will store water thinking it is dehydrated. 3) Sleep... Do you maintain a consistent sleep schedule allowing yourself an average of 8 hours a night... All the exercise and eating plans in the world; won't help if you don't hold fast to these three steps... Finally, do you move..... You need exercise an average of 3 times a week. It doesn't matter if you run, power walk or do aerobics at home... Just get off your can and move... That's what I tell people... The human body will plateau for short periods of time to reset itself... Any plateau without even a slight weight change after two (2) weeks is a good indication; one of these necessary steps are out of wack... Try them.. Your body will thank you..... Good Luck...
  • getthebabeback
    getthebabeback Posts: 45 Member
    Good post GTBB, and the links were helpful.

I have lost over 100 pounds more than once in life, and am kind of there again. Down 98 lbs since I began my current diet, and 138 lbs from my all time high. I am still dieting and losing weight, but worry about how I will be able to keep it off. I have never been able to do it before, I need to learn something new this time. I need all the help I can get.

When losing weight I find seeing the scale go down, and things like fitting into smaller clothes great reinforcement. However that all goes away in maintenance. I guess I need to find something to replace it. One problem I have is that I guess I have been in the fast weight loss mode, the article advises against that so my problem may be worse. On the other hand at my age with 100+ pounds to lose I am not sure I would have lived long enough to do it slowly.

• sylviajackson23
    sylviajackson23 Posts: 27 Member
    Hi All
    I’m new to mfp been dieting for most of my live 😂 it’s taken me 3 days to read all your stories on here could someone tell me how do I join your group please
    Many thanks in advance
    Sylvia
  • getthebabeback
    Hi alligatorob, I think you are spot on about needing to learn something new, we all do because we are all going to need to do this when the time comes. I will keep reading and see what I can find. I enjoy the research and as long as people find the articles useful, I will keep posting.
    I think you make another good point about the speed of weight loss and our urgency to succeed. The more you lose, the longer you'll live!! It may be the third time you have found yourself at this point but you seem to have learned some things about yourself to help you this time.
    See what I can find out to help. As an old friend used to say to me whenever I became impatient, 'Hasten Slowly'.
    ebffypq8eptr.png

• alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Thanks all for the good advice, I appreciate it. TZ, your 3 points are good, I probably need to drink more water. My exercise is intermittent, but getting better. It's easier to exercise now that I have lost some weight. Timberlan, I am feeling good, better and with more energy that I have in years.

Sylvia, I don't know if this tread has a group to join. I book marked it in my browser and find it that way. Maybe someone who knows more than I will answer. Welcome!

GTBB, thanks for our insights, I like the 'Hasten Slowly' thing.

Yesterday was a good day for me, I ate well and feel good. My weight bounced up a little this morning, but I've been at this long enough not to let that worry me. I am sure it will be down again, sooner or later.
  • royboy969
    royboy969 Posts: 218 Member
    Hi All
    I’m new to mfp been dieting for most of my live 😂 it’s taken me 3 days to read all your stories on here could someone tell me how do I join your group please
    Many thanks in advance
    Sylvia

Hi Sylvia, I don't think this is a group as such. I agree with Alligatorob, to bookmark the thread just click on the star at the beginning of the page. You can also go to Community and then click on groups. Search 60. It will pull up assorted groups. Look for one that is active and just join.. Hope to see you in one.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Good morning group. Hope y'all are doing well and feeling great about the choices your making to improve longterm fitness.
    Yesterday was a good day, exercise was walking around briskly in a couple stores and gym workout where I'm slowly increasing weight and resistance. Once again, reading the helpful articles has reinforced my desire to keep moving forward with a slow weight loss to achieve and maintain a recommended BMI. Certainly, networking here and sharing our toughts and plans is productive.
    Our pre-spring weather is over, it's cold, rainy and dreary. Today will be a very stressful day for me. I will keep it together, breathe deeply and focus on the good progress the future holds.
  • getthebabeback
    Hi All
    Many thanks in advance
    Sylvia

You have joined! Welcome
  • backalley970
    backalley970 Posts: 6 Member
    cherylre wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for friends 60 and older to help keep us all motivated. Maybe checking in with each other every day to keep us on track. Just started yesterday, have to lose 30 lbs. The older u get the harder it seems to get.

67 here
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,243 Member
    Happy weekend everyone
  • maryrd7
    maryrd7 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m 71 and need to lose at least 35 lbs. Trying to be more active— elliptical and bycycle. Need help keeping motivated.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    maryrd7 wrote: »
    I’m 71 and need to lose at least 35 lbs. Trying to be more active— elliptical and bycycle. Need help keeping motivated.

One thing that I tell myself for motivation - "You will be glad that you did the workout when you are finished." That has gotten me out of bed or off the couch many times.

Make yourself a schedule. Include an off day or two during the week. Helps me to know that I can workout today and rest tomorrow.
  • Debartz
    Debartz Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone! So good to see so many over 60 on here. I’m 67 and my story sounds like so many others so let’s keep each other motivated! Thanks
  • You can do it! Just do it in small bites! It will seem easier!!