I wanna grumble about...

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I am very thankful that I have a doctor that has lost 80 lbs on MFP and he highly recommends this program...he is so supportive and very knowledgeable about weight loss and nutrition...he constantly motivates me, keeps track of my bloodwork and praises my loss...not many doctors are like him...he actually cares!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I wanna grumble about darn water weight masking your progress and even making it look like you've gained weight on your weekly recording when you know that you were in deficit the whole period! I was under calorie goal 4 out of 7 days, and another day was only 50 calories over. The other 2 days were close to maintenance, but not over. My calorie goal is set for 2 lbs/wk (I still have 100+ to lose, even though I've lost 100 already) and I'm sedentary (truly, I sit at a desk all day for work, and don't have a lot of opportunity for continuous movement at home of an evening).

I wasn't expecting a 2 lb loss, but I didn't want to see that 1.5 gain, either! I know it's water. I had to eat out the last 2 days, and that usually translates into a sharp increase in sodium. I'm dealing with "plumbing" issues. I didn't sleep well at all last night, getting if I'm lucky 4 hours of sleep. I always seem to see a gain when I have trouble sleeping, so combine that with the other issues, and I know I shouldn't be surprised to see that gain. But its still disheartening when you've been trying really, really hard to behave, especially when you were out of town and managed to stay under goal for those 2 days and even skipped the catered lunch to meet goals, and still have to post a gain on your weekly weigh in. :(

Sorry for whining - its a dreary day today where I'm at anyway, and like Karen Carpenter used to sing, I tend to get the blues on days like today.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Like @bmeadows380 I want to grumble about water retention. I bounce up during both before/during ovulation and tom. Usually I can face this with grace and console myself with the knowledge that it then appears that I lose four to six pounds in the week following (the water retention bounce up plus the actual weight loss from the week). But this time I had a binge a little bit back and I struggled to get back to my previous low and finally saw some new ones. Right as I saw them, bam, ovulation and a bounce back up. Grrr.... I'm still down further than I had planned at this point, but I'm still aggrivated.

The reason I'm sharing is so that I get it out and don't use my annoyance as an excuse to toss in the towel for the day because that would just make it all worse. I'm hopeful doing this will keep me in the right mental space. I know I'll see the water drop and I'll have my big loss week, but I really wish it didn't look like I'm only on track two weeks out of every month.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I've tried to re-introduce ice cream into my diet recently but every time I've eaten it, it's made me throw up. Tried a different brand tonight and it happened again. That's three times in the last week. Weird. Only happened with ice cream. And I only throw up the ice cream. Oh well. Guess it's not really a bad thing. Not a huge ice cream consumer, but it's nice to have it occasionally. I'll try again in a few weeks.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    Me and the peanut butter. One may suggest I just not buy it but I have had to give up so much to try to heal my liver that I'm hanging on to this one and am desperate to figure it out. I did manage to have the actual one serving of PB yesterday but it was a struggle not to go back. I find that when I am either stressed or bored, I want to binge eat peanut butter. Either by itself or with seed crackers. I then move onto cheese and seed crackers. It's a nasty cycle that I need to break. I am going to work this week on portion control. It's not a matter of not allowing myself to have it so deprivation should not be the root. I even allow for 2 servings some days but for whatever reason I just want to abuse this food. I am committed to figuring it out. One of the coping techniques I am going to try is to drink mint tea when I have a craving. It doesn't have caffeine and it feels like a treat. I don't know why I get so fixated on certain foods. I have been eating clean for almost a year and half now and the PB issue only came to a head about 6 months ago. I have not lost any weight in 3 months (of course part of this was holiday eating) and I believe it is largely to the fact that I have binged several times with the PB. It's eating away at my deficit. My next weigh day is Friday. I am not very confident of having lost this month either in that I weighed at the doctor's on Friday and was within 3lbs of my "unclothed" weight. I know this is a process and you can't unlearn a lifetime of bad habits in a year and a half but the constant obsessing of it is exhausting.
  • bmeadows380
    @michne16 I found a selection of packets of nut butters in the organic section in a krogers nearby - already portioned to 1 serving. Would that might help you stick to one serving since you aren't having to scoop it out of the jar?

I made homemade bread this weekend - bad, bad idea! couldn't stay out of it yesterday. I built the last 3 pieces into my plan for today and put the other loaf in the freezer!
  • @bmeadows380 I make homemade bread too and it's so good I had to stop! The only time I can make it now is when I cycle to work and have a huge calorie burn so I can work it into my day. And then I have to get my kids to eat the rest of it! Good plan to portion and freeze it!

I'd like to grumble about how I increased my WL goal to 1kg/wk and it obviously dropped my calories to what I was expecting, but now my body thinks I'm starving despite the fact I've been happily eating those calories for a while anyway. Grrr. Stupid brain.

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I'd like to grumble because I have no choice to kind of go on maintain for a bit. Not sure how long. Because while moving furniture around and dusting, and mopping. I disturbed a very unhappy spider who got even with me. Chomped me twice and the Dr said could see double fang marks sigh!!
    So now I have a drain in open wound, got antibitiotic shot, on antibiotics, taking benadryl, and steroids could be happening. And told need to kind of be a log for a bit. Some people have mild to a bit more reactions to Brown Reclude bites. Some like me go way overboard, and I one unhappy woman at this point. Grumble, Grumble.
  • bmeadows380
    @maureenkhilde Ouch! That's NOT a good thing to happen- those and black widows are not something you want to stumble across, and I've heard that recluses can be sneaky - you don't know you've disturbed one until it too late. Your body will definitely need all its can get to fight that off and heal up. Hope you get to feeling better soon! :(
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I'd like to grumble because I have no choice to kind of go on maintain for a bit. Not sure how long. Because while moving furniture around and dusting, and mopping. I disturbed a very unhappy spider who got even with me. Chomped me twice and the Dr said could see double fang marks sigh!!
    So now I have a drain in open wound, got antibitiotic shot, on antibiotics, taking benadryl, and steroids could be happening. And told need to kind of be a log for a bit. Some people have mild to a bit more reactions to Brown Reclude bites. Some like me go way overboard, and I one unhappy woman at this point. Grumble, Grumble.

It is the right thing to do. The most important thing is getting over your spider bite as quick as possible.

I always go into maintenance for any type of situation where my body may get over something faster with more fuel but I do not like it when it just comes out of the blue. It feels weird to do even though it is one of the most justifiable time to eat more food. Funny how the brain works I suppose.
  • conniewilkins56

Please follow your doctors directions!...these spiders are so so dangerous...we had two close friends that were bitten a few years ago...our daughter had one on her shoulder poised to bite when her husband saw it and kept it from biting her...both of our friends recovered but it was a process....wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • ConfidentRaven

I hope you heal up soon!
  • ConfidentRaven
    I thought there was a thread for this grumble, but I couldn't find it. I want to grumble that my spouse is suddenly angry and jealous of my weight loss. He's not always spot on with his calories and often goes for treats, fast food, non diet soda, because he works an extremely active job. He's more or less maintained for over a month, after a series of gains, and I've told him what he needs to do if he wants to lose on numerous occasions, but he still insists he doesn't eat that much and burns it all off.

Well because of his way of eating I now weigh only 25 pounds more than him and he's really upset. He's certain that I'll blow past him and leave him behind with the weight loss. He doesn't want me to slow up, but he would like it if he could lose the weight he wants to lose. I don't know what more to do for him if he isn't willing to do for himself. I told him that I was sorry he was upset, but I need to do this for myself and that I'm willing to help him, but he has to be willing to listen. Any advice,or if someone knows the thread I'm thinking of and can link it, would be great. I don't know, maybe I need to be "the bad guy" and make sure we don't buy any treats or head out to eat.
  • conniewilkins56
    I had written a post about wanting my daughter to lose weight but I had asked Novus to delete it...I had said a little bit too much about the anxiety I felt over her refusal to lose weight...she would have been upset if she happened to stumble across it...I think Merph also posted something about his same situation that you are having in another thread..

Anyway...all you can do is lead by example...it does no good to give advice if the other person isn’t listening...keep doing what you are doing and hopefully he will realize on his own that he needs to make some changes in his journey...he probably agrees with you and knows you are right but is being difficult...( men )

On a happier note, my daughter has been on a “ diet” almost a week...crossing my fingers that she stays with it...our granddaughter is not on board but she is watching her mom and maybe she will learn by example...

I hope you continue your amazing journey and that your husband figures out his road to success...

• bmeadows380
    @ConfidentRaven & @conniewilkins56

I can empathize greatly with you both. My sister and father both desperate need to lose weight, especially my sister, but both refuse to reign in their eating. Mom doesn't really help because while she knows they need to cut back on how much they are eating (she does all the cooking so she controls what my dad eats, though not my sister), she can't get a grip on portion sizes, so she complains that she can't understand why she and dad can't lose weight when they don't eat a lot - I can't get her to understand they are eating more than they think they are.

My sister has told me outright that she refuses to give up eating what she wants when she wants and that calorie counting is "starving" herself. Yet she'll jump on any fad she can find that promises "effortless" weight loss. Like the apple cider trick......

But worse, while my mom is somewhat supportive in my weight-loss efforts (she at least tries to tell me what's in what, though she's not always all that great at it, and she does keep her comments to herself), my sister and father are both hostile to my efforts. My dad mocks my food scale and weighing out my portions, and my sister buys treats and gets upset when I refuse them, saying "one won't hurt you!" and "you're being ridiculous!"

I already weight less than my father, so there's no hope on that front, but I'm hoping that if I can get down to weighing less than my sister (and I think about 15 lbs away from that goal), it might make her jealous enough to seriously think about losing her weight. My sister has tons of determination when it suits her, but usually instead of using that determination as an asset, she uses it as nothing but sheer mule-headedness and to her own detriment. That and she's very lazy.......

I'm also trying to gently talk my cousin into attempting calorie counting. She had the sleeve surgery 2 years ago, but has stalled out on her weight loss and regained 35 lbs. She says she's starting to feel the health issues coming back and her doctor wants her to go in for another surgery to make her stomach even smaller - something akin to regular bypass. I know why she's regained, because I've been with her when she eats, and now that she's fully healed from the 1st surgery, her eating habits have returned to what they were before, so I'm trying to talk her into giving calorie counting a try because I know that her problem is portion control, and if she doesn't learn to change her diet and maintain her portion sizes correctly, this new surgery isn't going to work, either. I'm also frustrated that her doctor just jumped onto the "lets do another surgery" route instead of having her work closer with the dietician.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I thought there was a thread for this grumble, but I couldn't find it. I want to grumble that my spouse is suddenly angry and jealous of my weight loss. He's not always spot on with his calories and often goes for treats, fast food, non diet soda, because he works an extremely active job. He's more or less maintained for over a month, after a series of gains, and I've told him what he needs to do if he wants to lose on numerous occasions, but he still insists he doesn't eat that much and burns it all off.

Well because of his way of eating I now weigh only 25 pounds more than him and he's really upset. He's certain that I'll blow past him and leave him behind with the weight loss. He doesn't want me to slow up, but he would like it if he could lose the weight he wants to lose. I don't know what more to do for him if he isn't willing to do for himself. I told him that I was sorry he was upset, but I need to do this for myself and that I'm willing to help him, but he has to be willing to listen. Any advice,or if someone knows the thread I'm thinking of and can link it, would be great. I don't know, maybe I need to be "the bad guy" and make sure we don't buy any treats or head out to eat.

Most likely you are too close the situation and if he is feeling jealous he may really not want your help. Also, how he finally figures out how to be in a calorie deficit may be completely different than anything you are doing or can help him with.

I bolded the one part above to ask you if this was true. Has he been more or less the same weight for the last couple of months? If so, he is right. He is burning all he eats. The problem is, of course, that he needs to be eating less than he burns. Anyone who knows they are in a weight stable phase have an advantage if they know how to apply it. To lose weight he only need to cut something from his regular day. A snack, a second helping, beverage calories, maybe even a meal. He might be able to go some time without ever counting a single calorie or weighing anything on a food scale. Whether or not he can get to some sort of goal is another question but if he feels it starting to happen he might be willing to invest the rest of the effort needed to finish it when his weight loss slows or stalls.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited February 2020
    I want to grumble about clothes sizes. They're ridiculously inconsistent.

Over the past few weeks I've been able to fit into 5-6 new XL shirts, so I finally feel comfortable saying that I truly am an XL now. It's so hard to find that line, though. I have a bunch of XL shirts that are close to fitting, some that are nowhere near close to fitting, and even some XXL stuff that is close to fitting but not quite there.

Worst of the bunch, I have an XXL dress shirt that is labeled as "regular fit" that has several inches of space between the halves of the button up shirt. Nowhere near close to fitting. It compares in size to some of my L shirts. Regular fit my *kitten*.

Pants are equally frustrating, ha.
  • bmeadows380
    merph518 wrote: »
    I want to grumble about clothes sizes. They're ridiculously inconsistent.

Over the past few weeks I've been able to fit into 5-6 new XL shirts, so I finally feel comfortable saying that I truly am an XL now. It's so hard to find that line, though. I have a bunch of XL shirts that are close to fitting, some that are nowhere near close to fitting, and even some XXL stuff that is close to fitting but not quite there.

Worst of the bunch, I have an XXL dress shirt that is labeled as "regular fit" that has several inches of space between the halves of the button up shirt. Nowhere near close to fitting. It compares in size to some of my L shirts. Regular fit my *kitten*.

Pants are equally frustrating, ha.

oh man, I sign on to this and give several hearty Amens! Clothing sizes are all over the place, and have been for years - and its even worse in the women's clothing. I wish they'd just go by body measurements and be done with it - if you have a 50" waist and bust, it is what it is and size the shirt as a "50", not a 4 or a XXXL or some other ridiculous numbering system!

I recently got into 18W's at Catos, but it depended on the cut of the pants. At Walmart, if I'm in the plus size section, I can get into 22's and some 20's, but if I go to the ladies section, the 20's there are too tight. In JC Penney, I'm in a 20; at Torrid, its all over the place. I bought jeans off Lands End's website over Christmas since they were having a huge sale, and think I had to get 24's based on their measurements. But my 22's from another store are too big! but if I buy clothing off of Woman Within or Roaman's, then I actually have to go down around 2 sizes because if I go by their body measurements, then the clothing is way too big! And on Amazon, you can't hardly trust the sizing charts at all.

And clothing patterns are just as bad. I've got a lot of pretty patterns and material I'd love to try - especially a vintage 1930's style suit - but I'm afraid to cut them out because of not knowing for sure what size to even try and not being all that good at tailoring. The average skirt size I'm in are 22's; however, if I go by the body measurements, according to the pattern, I should make a 32!

And apparently, our bodies change, too. The last time I was in the 260's, was back in college. I kept 2 pair of jeans from those days, even when they got too tight to wear, because I had loved them and hoped to one day get back into them. They were 26W Riders jeans from Walmart. Fast forward to late 2017 when I started dropping clothing sizes - I got into those 26W pants when I was around 320 lbs, and once I dropped into the 200's, they were entirely too big. So at the same body weight, in 2002 I was wearing 26W, but in 2020, I'm in 20's?
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    @bmeadows380 and @merph518 I too would like to jump on this train. I am now anywhere from a 3xlt to a 5xlt shirt, and anywhere from a 46 to 50 pant depending on the brand. I am tall (6'3") so shirt length and finding an inseam size in my waste size has always frustrated me. I swear they think all fat guys with a 50 inch or bigger waste are shorter than 6 foot. I also find wearing slightly baggy clothes comforting since at my biggest almost everything especially my pants were tight.
  • bmeadows380
    jjlewey wrote: »
    @bmeadows380 and @merph518 I too would like to jump on this train. I am now anywhere from a 3xlt to a 5xlt shirt, and anywhere from a 46 to 50 pant depending on the brand. I am tall (6'3") so shirt length and finding an inseam size in my waste size has always frustrated me. I swear they think all fat guys with a 50 inch or bigger waste are shorter than 6 foot. I also find wearing slightly baggy clothes comforting since at my biggest almost everything especially my pants were tight.

@jjlewey I feel your pain on the height thing. I'm 5'8 1/2" (sadly never did get the other 1/2 inch unless I get it from my shoes lol) That puts me right between "average" and "tall" - so average pants are almost always just a little short, but tall pants are always too long.

And forget long sleeved shirts in the women's section. I have to safety pint the wrists in all of them because the sleeves aren't long enough and ride up. But if I go and get a long sleeve shirt in the men's section, then the sleeves are too long! My winter jacket is a man's jacket, and I have the cuffs turned in on it because they'd cover my hands otherwise.

I buy my t-shirts in the men's section, too (glad to see they are getting daring with the colors and I can get more than burgundy, navy, black, and white :D ) because they are long enough that I can safely raise my arms without flashing everybody. Women's shirts are all too short on me because I have a long torso. I've got a couple of dresses that I wear as tunics because on me, they are too short to be a dress. My sister, who is 5'1" would be able to wear them quite nicely as a dress (if she could get into them).