Apple shaped disaster

Replies

• Mythrain1
    Mythrain1 Posts: 27 Member
    I too am an inverted triangle and apple shaped. I have a B belly too.

By the time I hit my mid 50’s I was in the worst shape, and looked the worst, of my life.

Bordering on overweight but carrying most of that weight front and forward, especially the upper ‘belly’ region, I decided to do something about it.

Counting my cals and starting to exercise for the first time in my life took me back to the weight I had been earlier but with a better body composition.

It took a year, to get my weight down and progressively increase my fitness level. That year gave me a healthy body, and a sculpted body.

10 years later and I still, through diet and exercise, have a healthy, sculpted body- not one like a fitness model, one that I find easy to maintain, admire, and dress.

If you don’t like where you are now, start losing some weight and incorporate some cardio and strength training into your daily life.

Being an inverted triangle, apple shaped, B bellied, small breasted, flat bottomed, slim legged person is who I am on the outside, it suits me, and says nothing about who I am on the inside.

I’ve always had this figure, I don’t know how I would dress any other kind of figure.

(For those who recognize me, no need to click the spoiler B))
    The first pic is me at 54. All the rest were taken in my 60’s.

Not the body of a young woman but with work that ‘apple’ has improved

vpj7yu0tmvcx.jpeg

Just to show that the apple shape isn’t the end of the world as far as dressing to please yourself goes.

ko1kneruelko.jpeg

Be the best you can be. It takes work and dedication, but well worth it.

Cheers, h.

Thank you! It’s great hearing your story! That bikini pic is fabulous. One day perhaps...
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Girls!! Idk If in Apple shaped.. this is my body type... can anyone relate? rtiape1thu6s.jpeg
  • JanetReyna
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @JanetReyna I know you were pregnant before, did you have the baby? Having recently had a baby / being pregnant will change the answer to the question, it takes a while for even naturally hourglass shaped people to get their waists back!

Looking at your figure and bearing in mind your goals from the thread about being “thic” I think you can do a lot for yourself if you work on heavy compound lifts. Your booty is naturally prominent, and your waist will naturally slim down when you lose weight. The main thing I can see which would improve your appearance probably isn’t what you think, and is definitely within your control - your upper leg muscles! If you work on larger quads and hams, you will look more balanced without having to obsess about body type.

Also, right now you look amazing! Cherish your body for the amazing things it can do in making a new human being!
  • JanetReyna
    @JanetReyna I know you were pregnant before, did you have the baby? Having recently had a baby / being pregnant will change the answer to the question, it takes a while for even naturally hourglass shaped people to get their waists back!

Looking at your figure and bearing in mind your goals from the thread about being “thic” I think you can do a lot for yourself if you work on heavy compound lifts. Your booty is naturally prominent, and your waist will naturally slim down when you lose weight. The main thing I can see which would improve your appearance probably isn’t what you think, and is definitely within your control - your upper leg muscles! If you work on larger quads and hams, you will look more balanced without having to obsess about body type.

Also, right now you look amazing! Cherish your body for the amazing things it can do in making a new human being!

Thank you so much! I’m afraid if I lose the weight my booty will go, but I’ve lost weight before and it stays. I was thinking the same, my legs are pretty skinny especially the thighs. But I honestly don’t know what to do to get those big thighs! I love how they look I just know what workouts to do to make them bigger!
  • JanetReyna wrote: »
    Girls!! Idk If in Apple shaped.. this is my body type... can anyone relate? rtiape1thu6s.jpeg

Hard to say love. If I were to see the first picture, I would say yes, that’s an apple shape. But looking at the second pic and seeing how your waist is flatter with a shapely booty, I would say you look more hourglass. I also go by “where do you lose weight from/put on weight to first”? A typical apple shape will take off weight from thighs and butt first (stomach is the last to go), and put on weight first to the stomach. Apples have thin legs, small booty, and top heavy. Hope this helps.

Btw, your body looks amazing! Wow your side profile pic is gorgeous! I love your curves!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Mythrain1 wrote: »
    I’m apple shaped/ inverted triangle. Weight is all in middle. Wider shoulders. Nicer legs. I’ll lose weight in my legs but middle is still so disproportionate. Can I change my shape? Is it even possible? What are the best fitness goals to focus on with this problem?
    Thanks

The midsection is primary fat stores for many people and the vast majority of men...it is a first on, last off kind of thing. I lost 40 Lbs almost 7 years ago going from 220-180. From 220-200 I saw literally zero change in my midsection. It went down a bit from 200-190, enough so that my pants were a little lose, but the next size down was a bit snug. From 190-180 almost all of my loss was in the gut as I went from a pretty decent gut to no love handles and being mostly flat save for the lower abdomen.

When I was losing I was concerned that my belly would never catch up...I lost weight in my extremities and limbs and neck and face and I was worried I'd just keep losing from those areas and just look weird...but eventually the gut fat loss kicked in.

I put on 10ish Lbs pretty much every winter and it's the same...it all goes to my midsection and all comes off my midsection when I lose it in the spring.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Mythrain1 wrote: »

I am grateful for my health and that I have legs to carry me, but the bottom line is that as a woman, I feel I don’t look like a woman. I don’t have low self esteem, I try to eat very healthy. To me- a woman can be big or small- but the apple shape isn’t feminine to me.

Mother Nature determines where we all gain and lose weight first. So just be patient. Your shape isn't settled yet.

And try to remember that of course, you look like a woman. You are a woman and you are part of the definition of what looks like a woman. You already know that women come in all sizes. We come in all shapes also, and that includes yours.

Who has been telling you that your natural shape is unattractive?

• owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    I'm an apple-hourglass, almost all my weight is bread-baby, it's very annoying. I know exactly what I shouldn't eat but I'm also an emotional binge eater, extremely hard habit to get out of. I've watching youtube for reminders on what I should be eating, exercises i should be doing/avoiding and found 'gauge girl training', and she describes us lot (endomorphs) really well, what our issues are and how to combat them (she also goes over other body types). Totally recommend her vids.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    owieprone wrote: »
    I'm an apple-hourglass, almost all my weight is bread-baby, it's very annoying. I know exactly what I shouldn't eat but I'm also an emotional binge eater, extremely hard habit to get out of. I've watching youtube for reminders on what I should be eating, exercises i should be doing/avoiding and found 'gauge girl training', and she describes us lot (endomorphs) really well, what our issues are and how to combat them (she also goes over other body types). Totally recommend her vids.

Your extra weight is too many calories, not one particular food. Somatypes (endomorph, ectomorph, etc) have been debunked.