Previous Eating Disorder, now trying to diet healthy

2»

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I think the above poster @_Blumenkraft_ has some great suggestions. I’m now 40 and my disordered eating issues started around 12-13. Dealt with bulimia in my 20’s, and now trying to find balance.
    Weight training has really helped me overcome some of these body dysmorphic issues. I was able to change my body composition and it just felt great. I enjoy the lifting process.
    Doing more cardio and having to drop calories even more just starts a vicious cycle.
    Working with a therapist and coach may help put things in perspective for you. Good luck.
  • kshama2001 wrote: »
    If the cardio is new, you are likely retaining water from that, which can mask fat loss.

You've lost 5 pounds in what amount of time? And how much weight do you have to lose total?

I agree that depending on these factors, 5 pounds could be reasonable or even too fast.

Hey, thanks for your response! My 5 pounds I lost over the course of one and a half months.. According to those BMI Calculators, I'm supposed to be 85-100 pounds lighter than I am.
  • First, if you are going to workout, 1300 calories is way too low - no wonder you're hungry.

How much weight are you trying to lose? Set your goals accordingly and EAT.

I would suggest you go back to your treatment team to get you set up with a calorie and food plan.

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

1300 calories is actually way more than I use to eat and even when I meet the 1300 calories I start for feel nauseous automatically. I havent been able to hold actual breakfast down in 20 years, so I have a meal replacement smoothie to just get some nutrients in. Lunchtime I sometimes have two hard boiled eggs and a yogurt, or a tuna sandwhich. Dinner is usually chicken, vegetables and rice (or potatos) or something similar unless I go out on a Friday or Saturday night with the ladies I'll get a dish off the "healthy items" section of the menu.
  • I
    After41 wrote: »
    Hunger when losing weight is not sustainable. You are eating man made food and it's confusing your body. Try natural foods like meat and vegetables and stop eating processed foods. If that doesn't work, or you need further help, then message me and I'll help you figure it out.

.. I don't quite understand this, as even carrots for example go through some sort of processing system. Even meat is processed with chemicals for faster animal growth..
  • eryn0x wrote: »
    I am a 31 year old woman. When I was in highschool, aged 13-20 I had Bulimia. It took a long time, but I finally recovered from Bulimia by going to a psychiatrist and learning to love my body again etc. But then I went the complete opposite direction and learned a love for food (all the bad kinds of food) pizza, poutines, chicken wings, pasta, cake, chips etc. Now, I am at the complete opposite side of the relationship with food I was when I was a youth. I've been trying to lose the weight the healthy way this time around. I have been going to the gym doing cardio workouts for 2 hours each time, as well as keeping my calorie intake at 1300, but I have only lost 5 pounds, and I am hungry all the time.

My question is, how do I keep on my dieting without going back to binge eating or bulimia because I am feeling discouraged :( Any advise from others in the same situation who have overcome?

Almost 30 year old woman here... experienced bulimia in my early/mid 20s after weight gain... I can relate to what you're saying here and the best advice I can give you is my experience. I know how badly you want to lose the weight and it's easy to be frustrated that you used to have the "will" to be thin. The truth is, you will start over and over and over and cause yourself way more unhappiness if you restrict. Eat more food. You will feel much better and you can still be in a deficit. You won't believe the difference that a few hundred calories makes... you'll feel full and satisfied but you will start feeling slim as well. Please try it, you have nothing to lose.

Thank you for commenting and your suggestions. It's nice to hear from someone with similar situations :)
  • Is finding a therapist now, while in the process of trying to lose weight, an option for you? There are therapists who specialize in EDs, you don't necessarily need to go back through the process of seeing a psychiatrist.

I say that because our minds don't process information related to food, weight, dieting, etc the way other people's do. A lot of the information given on this forum can really mess with your head. It is all perfectly sound, true advice - like a calorie is a calorie, or carbs are not bad - but coming from what we've been through, it questions everything our disorder has made us believe.

It's a really tough process, but that is honestly my best advice. I wish you nothing but healing and success <3

Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now to see a therapist.. I am happy to hear from someone who thinks similarly to me. I feel like I've been undereating for so long, that if I eat more I'll gain even more.. It's almost a mental struggle as well as a physical one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    First, if you are going to workout, 1300 calories is way too low - no wonder you're hungry.

I would suggest you go back to your treatment team to get you set up with a calorie and food plan.

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

1300 calories is actually way more than I use to eat and even when I meet the 1300 calories I start for feel nauseous automatically. I havent been able to hold actual breakfast down in 20 years, so I have a meal replacement smoothie to just get some nutrients in. Lunchtime I sometimes have two hard boiled eggs and a yogurt, or a tuna sandwhich. Dinner is usually chicken, vegetables and rice (or potatos) or something similar unless I go out on a Friday or Saturday night with the ladies I'll get a dish off the "healthy items" section of the menu.

I started multiple responses, but am just going to leave it with I agree your best bet is to back to your treatment team to get you set up with a calorie and food plan. (If they are no longer available, get a new one.)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    First, if you are going to workout, 1300 calories is way too low - no wonder you're hungry.

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

I started multiple responses, but am just going to leave it with I agree your best bet is to back to your treatment team to get you set up with a calorie and food plan. (If they are no longer available, get a new one.)

100% this
  • I am nearly 30 and had problems with eating disorders from age 12 until my early 20s. The thing that really helped me was recontextualising food and weight so it wasn't all about loss and negatives. Even things as simple as starting weight lifting helped because I had positive goals to work for, eg "I want to be able to lift 50kg" rather than "I need to lose 10kg". I was trying to be more not less, and working UP to something rather than down which in itself felt better.

I also try to be really careful about making strict rules for myself, given that I know the rule-making around food can get out of control, but so can the lack of rules. Your story sounds very familiar to me, I have also experienced both extremes. I now try to set realistic and attainable guidelines rather than rules or bans.

As for losing weight, I'm sure you know about the damage eating disorders cause our metabolisms. Sometimes it may take us a little longer to find balance and settle into a routine that works. I would definitely recommend setting your weekly loss goal low and taking it slowly. Your goal needs to be sustainable, think about something you can implement long term so one day (hopefully soon!) you will have healthy habits by default and not need to spend so much mental energy thinking about food and exercise.

One more thing: do you enjoy the exercise you do? It took me ages to settle on exercise I enjoyed that didn't feel like punishment but it feels so good when you do!

You can do this 🙂 many of us may understand what you're going through and it absolutely can be done healthily, there are plenty of people who are living (and thriving) proof of that.

X

Thanks for all the insightful information! I'll try to change my view on how I'm doing things.. that might help. When I was in highschool I was on the relay team, and I loved running. So when I go to the gym, I've been doing the treadmill, but I have just been walking at a fast pace really.. I don't have my balance yet to run but my goal is to be able to run again as I thoroughly enjoyed it when I could before. The other thing is, I broke my knee and wrist at the same time 6 years ago, I put on about 40 pounds from being bed ridden for 3 months, and then little mobility for another 6 months, so even just walking sometimes causes pain, but my goal is to at least be able to jog again.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    Hunger when losing weight is not sustainable. You are eating man made food and it's confusing your body. Try natural foods like meat and vegetables and stop eating processed foods. If that doesn't work, or you need further help, then message me and I'll help you figure it out.

You have no idea what s/he is eating.

What are you even talking about?

Hormones. Insulin, cortisol, ghrelin, etc.. Are you hungry? I'm not. I eat 1 meal a day. So let's see..

I'm not hungry, but thanks for caring.

This woman isn't eating enough in general and is working out two hours a day.

She suffered from bulimia in the past.

Pretty sure there's more going on there than processed food causing her to be hungry.

Number of meals is not relevant here.

That's why I told her to message me if she has further problems with hunger. There are tons of reasons, being processed foods as the most common.

Are you a registered dietitian, or a mental health professional trained in treating eating disorders?

Straw man argument. I'm just offering help.

A couple of things:

First, you obviously don't know what a straw man argument is.
    Second, why can't you help right here in the public forum if you think you have something to offer? Why does anyone need to PM you? Kinda of suspect that.
    Third, what qualifications do you have to treat someone that has been under care for an eating disorder? Or are you just another internet rando who has read a blog or 2 and watched a couple of YouTube videos and think they have it all figured out?

OP, I am strongly in the camp of revisiting with you treatment team. I know it seems like there are obstacles to this but I think that your quality of life and health are at stake.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Is finding a therapist now, while in the process of trying to lose weight, an option for you? There are therapists who specialize in EDs, you don't necessarily need to go back through the process of seeing a psychiatrist.

I say that because our minds don't process information related to food, weight, dieting, etc the way other people's do. A lot of the information given on this forum can really mess with your head. It is all perfectly sound, true advice - like a calorie is a calorie, or carbs are not bad - but coming from what we've been through, it questions everything our disorder has made us believe.

It's a really tough process, but that is honestly my best advice. I wish you nothing but healing and success <3

Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now to see a therapist.. I am happy to hear from someone who thinks similarly to me. I feel like I've been undereating for so long, that if I eat more I'll gain even more.. It's almost a mental struggle as well as a physical one.

Unfortunately, when we start to recover, we usually gain weight. Be kind to yourself, reach out to me if you ever need a friend <3 It is definitely a struggle in all areas, mentally, physically, and emotionally. But you can do it!
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Is finding a therapist now, while in the process of trying to lose weight, an option for you? There are therapists who specialize in EDs, you don't necessarily need to go back through the process of seeing a psychiatrist.

i have been feeling this for a long long long time, it is something i struggle with every single day. weight loss created an ED for me.