5-5:30am workouts

Hey everyone. I’ve been trying to move my workouts to the morning because I’m often too overwhelmed with things to do after work and end up skipping the gym. I joined a gym that’s only classes and penalizes you for not showing up to force accountability, and this week I’ve worked out at 7:30am everyday without a problem. However, I’m back to work tomorrow which means I can only hit the 5:30am class. I wake up most days around 6am so the wake up is only an hour earlier, but the thought of leaving my warm bed to go out into the 20 degree air just seems so awful (I hate the cold and this winter has been so dreary here that I’m struggling with motivation in general).

Any tips other super early workout people can give me? I’m setting out my clothes and water and everything tonight so it’s right there and I’m going to do my best to be in bed by 9:30, but any other advice is super appreciated!

Replies

• Keepingtrack1234
    Keepingtrack1234 Posts: 911 Member
    Work out at home! I do roughly 20 minutes and use Fitness Blender and free weights/body weight and, honestly, feel great and have seen excellent results!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I workout at home. I don't pay for a gym. I wouldn't like having to get up even earlier to leave to gym and then still have to get ready for work and have everything packed up to go with me. I get up around 5:15 and I'm in my Zen room working out about 5:25. I just let my dogs out and in, pee, get my hair up, put on a sport bra and get going. I have a nice collection of workout videos, borrow from the library, or there's always stuff on YouTube, befit, etc.
  • kayte660
    kayte660 Posts: 40 Member
    I’m not much into working out at home. I have a very small house so there’s not really space, plus 5 animals underfoot. I love the gym and the class, just need to get past the mental block of “OMG 5am is REALLY early”
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    You just have to do it. I wake up at 4am Monday through Friday to have coffee + workout before work. I’ve been doing it for many many years so it’s as habitual as brushing my teeth.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    kayte660 wrote: »
    I’m not much into working out at home. I have a very small house so there’s not really space, plus 5 animals underfoot. I love the gym and the class, just need to get past the mental block of “OMG 5am is REALLY early”

I have a really small house, too. Before I changed my guest room to Zen room, I worked out in the living room. I had to push the coffee table back to the couch. I also have 4 dogs. They usually stay on the couch, but do like to come lick my face if I'm doing yoga or abs or something on the floor for some reason.
    But it's up to you. Decide what you want. Once you get used to it, it becomes routine.
  • Urun4me
    Urun4me Posts: 37 Member
    Focus first on getting up at 5am. Then fit in the working out. It can be difficult to get into a habit if you try to mix too many.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    I don't think there's any quick fix but would advise just do it. I've been doing it for years started when I was 15 getting up to look after a horse) and as my children were all early risers I've never lost the habit.

It isn't easy when its dark and cold out but I make sure all my kit is laid out ready, don't hit the snooze button, head for the loo, clean teeth, drink two pints of water, get dressed (if its really chilly I will get dressed first!). Have trainers, gym card, gloves, coat etc by the front door then just go straight out. On the odd occasion I have been known to be halfway to the gym (I walk as its only half a mile away!) before I fully wake up! It helps that I train fasted so no need to be distracted in the kitchen but I do confess that sometimes, when I come home, the temptation to get back into bed is very strong :-)
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    For me it was just a matter of getting used to getting up earlier (5:45 in my case) so I could get to the gym before work. Now it's just normal/routine for me and I don't really think about it - took a few weeks to get in to the habit though.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2020
    Since you're prioritizing your goal of going to the gym at that time, you just need a checklist that works for you. Some I might suggest

Night before.
    1. Set clothes out.
    2. Make lunch if needed.
    3. Take shower.
    4. Go to bed earlier.

Morning of.
    1. Drink coffee.
    2. Kick butt.

Basically building new habits to hit your goal.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited February 2020
    Shifting your schedule around is mostly about your bedtime, so I'd concentrate on figuring out how to do that earlier consistently. Then the early workout stuff will be no problem.
  • sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    I'm sure people will not like this suggestion but this just what worked for me when I used to workout early. I'd set my alarm for 30 - 60 min before I needed to wake up, the alarm would go off and i'd drink half of a 5 hour energy and go back to sleep. When the second alarm went off, I was ready to go! I'd also sleep in my workout clothes and have everything set out so I'd only need to wake up and go.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I switched from afternoon to early mornings a few years ago. It was challenging bc I’m not a morning person. I’m in bed by 9pm. And set my alarm for 5am. Sometimes 4:45am. It just becomes a habit with consistency.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Hey everyone. I’ve been trying to move my workouts to the morning because I’m often too overwhelmed with things to do after work and end up skipping the gym. I joined a gym that’s only classes and penalizes you for not showing up to force accountability, and this week I’ve worked out at 7:30am everyday without a problem. However, I’m back to work tomorrow which means I can only hit the 5:30am class. I wake up most days around 6am so the wake up is only an hour earlier, but the thought of leaving my warm bed to go out into the 20 degree air just seems so awful (I hate the cold and this winter has been so dreary here that I’m struggling with motivation in general).

Any tips other super early workout people can give me? I’m setting out my clothes and water and everything tonight so it’s right there and I’m going to do my best to be in bed by 9:30, but any other advice is super appreciated!

I'm curious about what the penalty is...that does not ultimately seem to be a very good way to foster physical fitness to me.

As to the early morning thing, I'm no help there. I've tried early morning workouts and my physical performance sucks...I also usually get more cramping and stuff like that. The most I do in the early AM is walk my dog.

Also, curious as to what things you have to do after work that are overwhelming? Are these things that you can do on days off?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

I get up at 3:15. Does that make 5:00 sound better?!? :laugh:

Refuse to snooze. I do NOT allow myself to hit the snooze button, even when I'm super tired. Like you, I have my gym clothes laid out the night before. I throw them on, brush my teeth and go.

I've been doing this for a couple years now. It does get easier!

• Maybe try working up to. It getting up five min earlier every few days. That's what I have to do to get in a workout before school
  • There’s pros and cons about all workout times. It helps me to find something to enjoy that can only be found in that time. If I’m up early enough I get to see the sunrise, for example. It’s kind of the same concept as eating broccoli ‘mindfully.’ If you can’t find an intrinsic reward, make one. Only listen to your favorite band in your morning workouts, another example.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    I am NOT a morning person at all!! I started a class about 15 months ago that got me up and going at 5:30. (A holiday boot camp) The class was over after 6 weeks. But there was a normal class that met at the same time. The teacher extended an invitation and they became my people. Without them, I wouldn't show up. Find a group or a person that helps you be accountable! I totally would stay in bed the extra hour if it wasn't for them. If I wouldn't find time in the morning there is no way after working all day that I would find time in the evenings. And what Cheiflrg said set your stuff out for the next day and have it ready. That helps me a ton. I now am at the gym Monday-Friday between 5:00-5:15, we have class on Tuesday and Thursday and meet for an outdoor run on Monday Wednesday and Fridays. Don't beat yourself up. It isn't easy getting up when you aren't a morning person! But don't give up.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    1) Espresso machine
    2) Gotta budget wake up time (including necessary bathroom time).

I'm a 5:30 exercise riser but it's not uncommon for me to be starting at 6:15.

Oh...one more thing:
    3) Espresso machine
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Echoing the others, you just do it.

I get up early to run. I have all my gear laid out the night before, so when I get up I don't have to do anything. As for the alarm, I don't want to wake my hubby, so when it goes off I have to just get up.

After a while, it becomes habit. Now 730 feels like a sleep in for me!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    When I'm on dayshift, I train at 2am. No secret (or "hack" ATKS) to it, just get up, pound some caffeine, & hit the gym.