Newbies and returnees, introduce yourself here....

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 5,242 Member
    Welcome brinklaw. Be sure and read our threads in the announcements on our home page. Lots of good ideas.

All the best in your Journey.
  • Reservoir_Dog
    Reservoir_Dog Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all! Newbie to the group, but working at this weight loss/fitness thing since Feb..started at 285, now at 230..hoping for another 25!! Looking forward to reading everyone's success stories and struggles.
  • retirehappy
    Welcome Reservoir_Dog. Sounds like you are having some good success. Congrats on the weight loss success you are having.

Be sure and check out our groups announcement on our home page, lots of resources and information in those posts.

All the best on your weight loss Journey going forwards.
  • spepper50
    spepper50 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm returning to MFP after a year-long absence. During that time I gained back most of what I had lost. Just shows me that I need that daily log-in to keep me accountable. I'm 69, happily retired, married with 2 grown sons and one grandson. I'm on a high protein/low carb program and it seems to work well for me.
  • retirehappy
    Welcome @spepper50. I do a combo of keto/low carb,healthy fats with a touch of fasting. Took me along time to figure it out, but I am so happy I did. There is also a group for over 50s lady doing low carb, check it out.

Wishing you much success in your weight loss journey.
  • krenoline57
    krenoline57 Posts: 2 Member
    hi all, rejoining MFP just to keep track of macros and exercise. I just did a year of precision nutrition (awesome btw) and lost 10 pounds and several inches. I would like to lose another 8 pounds and more inches. I'm 62 and still working. I am active on a daily basis at work but need to add weight lifting so I can safely ski and body surf. Hello ALL!
  • retirehappy
    Welcome back and Happy New Year to you.

Congrats on your success.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 2,418 Member
    Had new weights for Christmas and resistance bands so exercise here I come!
  • Mazb1953
    Mazb1953 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi I'm a returnee. I am 66 years old and lost 2 stone 3 pounds at Slimming World as have been a target member for 2 years. But I was made redundant and spent a year finding a job that would accept me part time at my age. The only one I found was on a day I had been going to group. Then Xmas happened, I put on 3 pounds and slipped out of target and am having trouble trying to get back on track! So I decided the best place to get my mind back into it was on here where I could study my diary sheet/exercise routines. Also I would like to drop my target weight down another half a stone. Sorry for the ramble 😁
  • retirehappy
    Welcome Mazb1953. It sounds like you have a good plan for eating Wishing you great success.
  • VenusCannon
    VenusCannon Posts: 14 Member
    Hoping this group is still active. Hi, I'm 64 years old. I have 3 children(1 passed away nearly 14 yrs ago type I diabetes at age 30), 4 grandchildren age 2-24 , 1 great grandchild age 4. Both my parents are gone now(Mom nearly 4 years ago and Dad 1 year today). In the last year I had a lumpectomy and while preparing for radiation(No chemo I was lucky) they found a tumor the size of my right kidney on the kidney. It and the kidney were removed. I am fully recovered. My tests are coming good no more cancer. I hope it stays that way. I am a homeschooler, and a Zumba Instructor who prefers to teach Zumba Gold. I also teach Intro Ballet at this time and I take Hip Hop. I also double as Customer Service Manager at the dance studio I work at. So I'm fairly active. I need to give up as much sugar as possible to keep my last kidney healthy. Kicking the coco cola habit is hard. I'm down to 1 pop every few days or just a little (2 oz with loads of ice) every day depending on the week. My Garmin band just broke and I will wear it again when I get a new one but no step counting at the moment only minutes. Hoping to pick up some inspiration here. I'm not ready to quit. I still need to lose some weight and some inches around my middle. I was doing fine for awhile then they told me I couldn't lose weight during the radiation. I've been trying to get back on track ever since I finished the radiation last spring.
  • retirehappy
    @VenusCannon So sorry I missed your post last week. This forum gets busy and then settles down as do most of the threads on MFP.

It sounds like you are trying to take good care of yourself. It is great you are kicking the cola habit. I did that with Pepsi about 15 yrs. ago, one of the best things I ever did for myself. I love Zumba gold, do some strength training called Body Flex, and walk to keep my weight and A1C under control.

All the best to you in your healthful Journey.
  • royboy969
    royboy969 Posts: 219 Member
    Hello, While I am not new to MFP, I am new to the group. I am 65, father of 3 and grandfather to 7. I started my journey to make sure I would be around to see all my grandchildren get married or at least graduate from college. The eldest just started at Holy Cross. Took a detour after a bike accident where I separated a shoulder and eventually had a compressed nerve core in my neck. I used all that as an excuse to stop pushing myself. Good lord I was stupid. Well it is time to get back at it. I prefer to be outside walking and riding but need to move inside to get a jump start. I still want to get in at least a 50 mile ride this year. Hopefully more.
  • retirehappy
    Welcome royboy969. Never too late to start again. All the best to you on getting back in shape.
  • elliekat828
    elliekat828 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi everyone! I am a 60 year old returnee. I went on WW for a while, but just kept on going up and down with the gaining and losing. I need to lose this weight for health reasons and to feel better. I am married, but feel single, since my husband is a truck driver. Makes it hard to cook dinner just for one. Looking forward to reading about everything ya'll are doing in order to get in better shape!
  • retirehappy
    Welcome back elliekat828. You might be a good candidate for using time restricted eating or a intermittent fasting routine, since you can cook only for yourself a lot. Both work well with any type of eating program, LCHF, HCLF, whole30, Paleo, South Beach etc.

I hope everyone remembers to check out our announcement threads, lots of good info in those.

I have my profile to show I do not accept friend requests, I just had a bunch of them. I post here regularly, but really don't have time to be a good friend, I have a few from when I first joined and have no plans to add to that list.

I do wish everyone the best on their dieting Journey and do check in daily, MFP has screwed up my login streaks so much, I just log in and do my thing and don't notice how many days it thinks I have logged in.
  • syzygy51
    syzygy51 Posts: 5 Member
    Hello all. I'm 68, retired. Trying to get healthier, but just getting started, really. As of this week, I'm doing intermittent fasting, eating all foods within about a 6-7 hour period each day. I weigh about 225, and at 5'11", I'd like to lose 40 to 50 pounds. I've tried various diets over time and while I can maintain my current weight +/- 5 pounds but I never seem to sustain losses.

Hopefully, tracking with MFP and my Fitbit will help. As a type 2 diabetic, I have to control carbs as well as overall calories. Exercise helps, but exercise alone hasn't been enough for me. For several years, I've been playing Pickleball or Racquetball 3 to 5 times a week for 2 to 3 hours at a time but my weight seems set in stone.

MFP says I need to stay at about 1500 calories a day, but gives me extra calories from the exercise, usually between 700 and 1200 calories each day! I have trouble believing I can actually eat those "extra" exercise-base calories and still lose weight, so I'm trying to stay right around 1,500 calories each day.

I'm hoping I can stay with the IF, MFP, and exercise long term, as together they should help. Having some friends to communicate with might help. Thanks for being here and sharing your stories.
  • retirehappy
    Welcome syzygy51. I do a lot of intermittent fasting, it sure worked out well for me. I also do a few longer fasts each month as well. I also love my Fitbit for tracking my activity levels and heart rate.
  • elliekat828
    elliekat828 Posts: 4 Member
    retirehappy. What does LCHF and HCLF stand for? My doctor has me on a low sodium diet, but was wondering what those letters stand for!
  • retirehappy
    Low carb, healthy fat and high carb,low fat.