What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Cooked with friends at their place to filll up their freezer with batch meals. Dinner afterwards was coca cola chicken, rice, Japanese cucumber salad and Indonesian tomato salad.
    l2s84h4eba1b.jpeg
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Breakfast this morning was 3 Applegate chicken maple sausages (they're small and the three end up being a combined 110 calories), three slices of toasted leftover challah (more on that later) with a tbsp of lingonberry jam between them, a grapefruit, and some peppermint tea with very local honey from my friend's bees.

Thursday night was apparently procrastinating via baking night.
    4ge590o4g8kq.jpg
    boy9s153w50j.jpg
    lhgmbj4grk4m.jpg

The challah made with honey instead of white sugar (for taste, not for some sort of unsubstantiated health claim), which made for a very wet dough and thus some sloppier than usual brading (I did a 4 strand braid). Everyone liked it though and the adults I do Shabbat with could taste the honey (the children, not so much). The other two are made from Bake From Scratch's Do it All Dough. The first are rolls brushed with garlic butter before being baked and the second is a cinnamon braid that is less cinnamon roll and more dough with a hint of sugar and cinnamon. I used half of the dough for the rolls and the other half for the cinnamon thing.
  • aokoye
    This evening I made Maangchi's japchae and dubu jorim recipes, though I omitted the beef and egg from the japchae (beef because I wanted to make it lower calorie and spend less money and egg because I'm not a big fan of eggs in most situations). The Japchae was great but i'd use less oil next time. The dubu jorim was/is a "will my body tolerate large amounts of soy again", while I currently feel fine in that respect (time will tell...), I wasn't super impressed. It's partially an issue of wish the sauce had a different texture and wishing the tofu was a different texture (yes I pressed it for a sufficient amount of time).
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    panzanella salad and omlette with sausages
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Pasta al forno--Pasta baked in the oven. This was a dish my mother-in-law always made. You need a large tubular pasta that needs 12 min or more to cook.

Make a simple tomato sauce with EVOO, garlic, tomatoes, salt (I make my sauce a little saltier than usual for this dish and frequently add broth crystals) and fresh basil.
    Boil the pasta about half the time on the package, drain, put back in kettle (without the water)and add 1/3 of the sauce and stir delicately.
    Take your baking pan (I use glass or ceramic) and pour in 1/3 of the tomato sauce, add 1/2 of the pasta, spread some chopped or grated fresh mozzarella cheese on top, add the other half of the pasta on top, sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, then add the other third of the tomato sauce over that.
    Bake on high until crunchy looking--my youngest son wants it black on the edges.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Baked pork chop (I think I put a few too many spices on it!), cheesy mashed potatoes and mixed veggies.
  • snowflake954
    Spaghetti with pesto (bought, not made by me).
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    Pumpkin gnocchi a total failure so far. That stuff when microwaved and pureed is very watery. I have already incorporated all the flour in the house and it is still to wet to handle like dough. Dumped all the gloop in a huge tupperware box in the fridge to deal with tomorrow, because tonight's dinner guests are arriving soon.

For next time, I typically have very good luck making pumpkin puree by roasting the pumpkin. It is far less watery that way.

Try using butternut squash. Pumpkin you buy is not the same pumpkin that they use in the cans. The canned stuff is pie pumpkin and the same color as butternut squash.
  • snowflake954
    Grilled salmon with lemon, artichokes with EVOO, mint, garlic, lemon and parsely.
  • acpgee
    Pasta al forno--Pasta baked in the oven. This was a dish my mother-in-law always made. You need a large tubular pasta that needs 12 min or more to cook.

Make a simple tomato sauce with EVOO, garlic, tomatoes, salt (I make my sauce a little saltier than usual for this dish and frequently add broth crystals) and fresh basil.
    Boil the pasta about half the time on the package, drain, put back in kettle (without the water)and add 1/3 of the sauce and stir delicately.
    Take your baking pan (I use glass or ceramic) and pour in 1/3 of the tomato sauce, add 1/2 of the pasta, spread some chopped or grated fresh mozzarella cheese on top, add the other half of the pasta on top, sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, then add the other third of the tomato sauce over that.
    Bake on high until crunchy looking--my youngest son wants it black on the edges.

If your family fights over the crispy corners you can also do these in large metal muffin tins. Lots of crispy corners.
  • itzaboutme
    itzaboutme Posts: 14 Member
    Enchilada stuffed spaghetti squash-
    Vegetables, beans and enchilada sauce
  • aokoye
    Whole wheat waffles for dinner, because it's all I could really stomach (I hate being sick). Used this recipe from King Arthur Flour and I would highly recommend it. So tasty.
  • snowflake954
    Whole wheat pasta with cima di rape (here in Rome, it's called broccoletti), and EVOO. Very pretty--beige and bright green.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Ginger Chicken Congee cooking now in Slow Cooker.
  • snowflake954
    Tonight broth made with "osso buco" which are large beef bones plus pieces of beef, and a carrot, celery, and tomato. Simmered for hours. I strained it all, and refrigerated it and removed the layer of hard fat that formed on the top. I added small veal ravioli to the broth and boiled 3 min. The soup was served with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top. The meat was browned in a non stick pan and served on the side. It was extremely tender.
  • acpgee
    Hubby is the weekday cook but he warmed up some cola chicken from the freezer that I made a couple of weekends ago. I did the Indonesian tomato salad and the Japanese cucumber salad using dressings that we make in batches to keep in the fridge. Rice was made in the rice cooker. So this was more or less a frozen ready meal.
    7yjyej0zlq0a.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    Pasta with mushrooms and zucchine, EVOO, garlic, a small piece of dried red pepper, white wine and freshly grated PR on top.
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    grilled cheese toast and tuna salad with pomegranate dressing
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    I was only cooking for myself yesterday so was lazy. Not really a proper meal but had roasted cauliflower sprinkled with grated mature cheddar.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    Not sure how to describe this, a sort of fajita style dish I think.

Chicken strips, marinated in honey, soy sauce, lime juice, chili, cumin, paprika and olive oil, with bell peppers, sweet potato and carrots cooked in the same marinade.

e6nxnlww6jr3.jpg