Homemade

What is your favorite dish to make that reminds you of your Mom? For me it's Picadillo with Mexican rice and refried beans and corn tortillas. Picadillo is basically ground beef and diced potatoes.

Replies

• francinefig
    francinefig Posts: 13 Member
    Tater tot casserole! With ground beef, corn and beans and Campbell's cream of mushroom soup. I know it's bad for us but I make it at least every 2 weeks or so. So good!
  • johnbtay3
    johnbtay3 Posts: 170 Member
    Peanut butter and jelly
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited February 2020
    Vegetables that have been boiled an hour too long :D Dad was the cook, not mum lol
    Dad made the best homemade burgers , Apple pie and when it was cold, milk coffee with nutmeg on top. I can't smell nutmeg without remembering those cold afternoons with my dad.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Stuffed cabbage, or really anything with cabbage. Mom was Ukrainian, Polish and German. We ate a ton of cabbage and potatoes.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Strange you brought this up today. I've been cooking lunch from 7am till 11.30am this morning! Made potato and cheese pierogi from scratch and about to boil them now then throw them in the caramelised onion/bacon mixture. Just like mum and nanna made but I think this recipe might beat theirs or at least seems to so far. See what we think after lunch.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    I don't make it but the dish I associate with my mum is steak and kidney pie. I loved that pie when I was younger and it was my birthday request meal for many years. She was so proud that I would choose something she made over a restaurant dinner.

Even though I no longer eat meat, if my mum was still alive I'd eat her steak and kidney pie again. Some things are worth making an exception for.
  • BeamingBadass
    BeamingBadass Posts: 1,454 Member
    My dad was the cook really and definitely beef stew! My mom could make a really good Shepard'a pie
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    I don't make it but the dish I associate with my mum is steak and kidney pie. I loved that pie when I was younger and it was my birthday request meal for many years. She was so proud that I would choose something she made over a restaurant dinner.

Even though I no longer eat meat, if my mum was still alive I'd eat her steak and kidney pie again. Some things are worth making an exception for.

That is lovely. I'd eat it too.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Nothing. My mother was a terrible cook. :grimace:
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    My grandmas portuguese style sweet rice, and soups.
  • johnbtay3
    johnbtay3 Posts: 170 Member
    Mymomma was known for taking two different leftover meals, combining them, and making a completely different dish
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited February 2020
    My mom was a great cook! She could put together the most incredible Thanksgiving turkey dinner, and made the best potato salad(one of those non-recipe deals so we've never been able to do her potato salad justice).
    But the only things I tend to make now that she made when we were growing up are her Christmas sugar cookies and Jim Jams(also a Christmas treat). Oh and her Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge.

But then, I think everything she made was great because 1) it was edible and 2) I wasn't doing the cooking. :)
  • lifeovpi
    lifeovpi Posts: 121 Member
    Meatloaf
  • SpinforCals
    SpinforCals Posts: 112 Member
    Mac and cheese casserole
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited February 2020
    My father was the best cook and taught me from a young age all his recipes and used me as his prep chef😋❤ ....I miss All of his Italian dishes and feel blessed at the memories I have even now when I make them.

My mom baked with us a lot and did great roast chickens and roast beefs..her apple pie and chocolate chip cookies are two of my favs til this day...❤ oh and her meatballs. My father said hers were better than his (she's Irish lol)
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Kidney Tobago or Liver and Onion. Both delicious but I rarely ever cook them for myself. I enjoy cooking them withy mum for the family though. Good hearty food.
  • donaldmackay12
    donaldmackay12 Posts: 125 Member
    A Scottish dish called stovies ,
    Potatoe , mince , onion all in one pot and left for a few hours
  • _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    My mom makes the best carrot cake 😋
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    When I was a kid, you couldn't tell me anything bad about my mother's meatloaf.