65+

1m2m
1m2m Posts: 5 Member
If you're 65 and over and need to lose weight, share your journey and get support for those tough days! Remember, you're not alone.

Replies

• 1m2m
    I'm 72 and weigh 362 lbs. Here goes!
  • chuckbernard54
    chuckbernard54 Posts: 12 Member
    I am 69 years old. The doctor told me I had to lose 60 pounds at least. I'm just shooting for 40 lbs. I tried the trial membership and today joined the premium. In the first week, I lost 7 pounds. It really helps that I am in a Healthy Balance class through So California Kaiser. The health coach is fantastic. I am working out at the gym at least 2 or 3 times a week and today I walked 12,047 steps. Before I joined, I walked less than 1000 steps a day. I have only had one "cheat" day so far.
  • 1m2m
    Well done! At my current weight walking more than 400 steps is not possible. I have two bad knees in need of surgery. My hope is to lose 60 lbs and then start a walking program. As an aside, I have been on a self-imposed eating program through FP; I eat 1,000 calories, often less and practise intermittent fasting. In 3 weeks I have lost 30 lbs. I find this very satisfying. I'll keep you posted. I envy your activity level - keep it up!
  • chuckbernard54
    chuckbernard54 Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2020
    1m2m, I have an artificial heart valve but luckily the cardiologist said to exercise as much as you can to bring down blood pressure. However this must change as a primary care doctor ran a CT scan on me and found an enlarged aorta. Will keep you posted
  • willsie1
    willsie1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm 71 and here to learn how to use MFP primarily to monitor my nutrition with a special interest in keeping an eye on getting enough daily protein. Also 5 a day but I can't see how the app will work for that?
    My first problem is that NHS guidelines are that daily reference nutrients should be based on 50% carbs, =<35% fat and around 55g protein. I can't get the app to accept being balanced for this. to achieve near 55g the app forces either fat or carbs to exceed their NHS guidance level. What's the answer? My guess would be to stick to fat at =< 35% and let the carbs be what they want to be.
    Am I actually thinking too much about this, I'm wondering. All I need to do is set the protein to the level I want because I want feedback as to how close to it I am. If it forces one of the other things to have a high level I'm not going to force myself to eat too much of it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    willsie1 wrote: »
    I'm 71 and here to learn how to use MFP primarily to monitor my nutrition with a special interest in keeping an eye on getting enough daily protein. Also 5 a day but I can't see how the app will work for that?
    My first problem is that NHS guidelines are that daily reference nutrients should be based on 50% carbs, =<35% fat and around 55g protein. I can't get the app to accept being balanced for this. to achieve near 55g the app forces either fat or carbs to exceed their NHS guidance level. What's the answer? My guess would be to stick to fat at =< 35% and let the carbs be what they want to be.
    Am I actually thinking too much about this, I'm wondering. All I need to do is set the protein to the level I want because I want feedback as to how close to it I am. If it forces one of the other things to have a high level I'm not going to force myself to eat too much of it!

Nutritionally, it's usually fine** to treat fat and protein as minimums and try to reach or exceed those within calories, letting carbs be the balancer.

(** By "usually fine" I mean for basically healthy people. Diabetics may need to monitor carbs closely, fat type may matter for heart conditions, and that sort of thing. Hopefully those folks have a Registered Dietitian to consult.)

And for good nutrition, macros needn't be exactly exact, to the gram, every day. If you're a few grams under some days, and a few grams over other days on the same thing, so it mostly balances out long term around your goal, that's fine.

As far as veg/fruit servings, I've just made it a habit to review at the end of the day, see how I did, and if not so good, think what changes would be helpful then I put those ideas into practice in the future.

Best wishes!

P.S. I hope it's OK to comment even though I'm only 64. :)
  • Leezy55
    Leezy55 Posts: 339 Member
    Is this group still active?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Leezy55 wrote: »
    Is this group still active?

Try this thread, more active lately:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    72 years old feel free to friend me and let’s see what we can all achieve together.

Good luck to all who have posted above
  • Leezy55
    Leezy55 Posts: 339 Member
    72 years old feel free to friend me and let’s see what we can all achieve together.

Good luck to all who have posted above

How do I do that?
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Your all inspirational I am 57 but hubby is 69 , good luck with your goals add friends and go for it!