OrangeTheory

Looking for some advice -- I'm "thinking" about trying OrangeTheory and, yes, free class first. I'm very nervous, being 200 lbs. and mid-50s. Please be honest -- will I stick out like a sore thumb? LOL

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Can't speak specifically for Orange Theory but my tri club has members of every shape and size, same with the gym I used to go to. You'll probably find the instructors and other members both welcoming and supportive. Every journey begins with a single step..
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    I see all shapes and sizes at my OTF.
    Go for it! Why not?
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Good for you for taking the first step! You won't stick out and you shouldn't worry about that. Most people working out don't survey the others in the class, but worry more about themselves. Don't let the thought of what other's are going to think about you working out as a deterrent. Be confident and go for it.
  • NessXfit
    NessXfit Posts: 13 Member
    I just started OTF 3 weeks ago. I joined the transformation challenge. I’m considering officially joining and becoming a member once the challenge is over. I would like to hear from members, do you think it’s worth it? With a calorie deficit, would I get the best progress with OTF??

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    @NessXfit I've started 8 classes a month and got hooked. I like the fact that it's always different and they tell you what you do. (I don't have to think!)
    1 hour goes fast when you're just following orders and going non-stop. I bumped it up to unlimited and go 4x week now. (Got over 200 classes under my belt) and I am much much stronger💪💪💪
    I love it. I might go back to premier during warm months but for now, I'm just gonna keep on going :D
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Teddy3931 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice -- I'm "thinking" about trying OrangeTheory and, yes, free class first. I'm very nervous, being 200 lbs. and mid-50s. Please be honest -- will I stick out like a sore thumb? LOL

I can't speak specifically for OT, but let me ask you this....

If you were to start, progress and get fit, what would you think about somebody in their 50s and 200 pounds walking in next year? Would you likely support them?

If your answer is yes, you'll likely find that that exists already.

As a 56-year old, who never really trained seriously until he was 53, I can tell you that I was pleasantly surprised. I started out about 240. Still a work in progress, but a much stronger and more fit older guy now. Can't imagine not training for as long as I continue to wake up every day.

I couldn’t agree more! I don’t know about OT but I did start at CrossFit at 57 weighing >300 lbs. I did stick out but that wasn’t a bad thing! I was probably twice the average age and weight.
    I was surprised- people there were amazingly supportive and helpful!!

So, if you think you’ll like it you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. I have a friend who does OT and LOVES it!!
  • begleymandy2020
    begleymandy2020 Posts: 1 Member
    I joined OTF last July and was immediately hooked. What I love is that even though this is a group class, it is an individual challenge. You don't have to move as fast as the person next to you, you don't have to lift as heavy as anyone else. You push yourself and get tons of encouragement from the coach. Trust me, everyone is focused on their personal goals, sometimes, I'm just thinking about surviving the classes. At our OTF gym, no one is looking around to see who is doing pushups on their knees. Just do what you can do. The hour will FLY by!
  • kiwiandcoconuts
    kiwiandcoconuts Posts: 19 Member

Nope! You will not stick out like a sore thumb. I have been a member of Orange Theory for quite some time now, attending 3-4 classes a week a various times. There has been every age, weight, and body type you can possibly imagine. The coaches are fantastic and usually show you the floor workouts as well as to how to modify it if you’ve had an injury or if you’re just starting out. I was incredibly nervous before attending my first class. It’s intimidating! But honestly - the hardest part is just getting out the door and going. Once you’re there they will take good care of you. The workouts are intense but totally doable. They have a lot of fun events and challenges throughout the year to keep you motivated. PLEASE try it out!! You certainly won’t regret it. 🍊

If you have any questions about it I’m happy to help! Just shoot me a message. 😊
  • Teddy3931
    Teddy3931 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you SO very much!!!
  • rmberra
    rmberra Posts: 20 Member
    I started orange theory at 35yo and 238lbs. I've seen all ages and types in my classes. It's been a great atmosphere and I've stuck with it for 17 months now.
  • Teddy3931
    Teddy3931 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you -- I'm going to do it!
  • joneputt
    joneputt Posts: 3 Member

• joneputt
    joneputt Posts: 3 Member
    I’m 51 and weighed 215 when i started in September. I’m completely addicted, go 5-6 per week and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. Down to 200lbs and people think I’ve lost 30-40 lbs. Dive in, my man! Take the plunge.