When did acquaintances start noticing your weight loss?

Jaayes
Jaayes Posts: 2 Member
I was 320 lbs and got down to 280 now and no one has commented on my weight loss outside of my circle of family/friends.

Yes, I am doing it for me but Iā€™d like someone to tell me I look good šŸ˜‰

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    edited February 2020
    Well, I've lost 25 pounds (from 34 to under 30 BMI) and not even family and friends have said anything. I'm pretty sure they have noticed though, they're just not commenting. I'm still waiting for the first spontaneous compliment! My in-laws have complimented me, but that was only because my BF had told them I was losing weight successfully...

I feel for you, it sucks waiting for compliments, but people have their reasons for not saying anything:
    - fear of insulting you (complimenting you now could give the impression they thought you looked bad before)
    - fear that you might not be losing weight intentionally, it could be a consequence of illness
    - their own hang-ups (jealous because they can't lose weight themselves, jealous because they felt 'safe' with their 'fat friend',...)

Another possibility is, of course, that they haven't noticed. In the obese range, it generally takes a larger loss for it to be noticeable. Also, the more ofter people see you (for example colleagues), the longer it might take to be noticeable since the change is very gradual for them. Wearing correctly sized (and form-fitting) clothes helps too to draw attention to the weight loss.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I started a little over 300 and very slowly got down to 270-ish without anyone noticing except my mom. That was kind of a let down. Also, even though I'm now in 160-170s range, I still feel that was the biggest and most important part of my entire weight loss "journey" that made the biggest improvement for me. Even though it was the least noticed and acknowledged by others.

I think the biggest wave of people noticing & commenting was when I went from about 250 down to 200-220. It seemed like everyone commented and noticed during that time.

• johnbtay3
    johnbtay3 Posts: 170 Member
    Funny people are quick to tell you how much weight you've gained but never quick to compliment when you lose
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    They usually noticed after I was holding my baby ;)