Favourite food you've discovered recently

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I've been enjoying sugar free jello for the last couple of weeks, but last night while in the grocery store in the aisle with the jello and pudding, I thought how good pudding sounds, but knowing it was way more calories than the jello - the whole box of jello amounts to 20 calories while the box of pudding alone amounts to 100 calories not counting the 1 1/2 cups of milk to make it. While I'd usually use cashew milk to make it, that's still more calories than I typically have left in a day.

then I remembered the old lemon pie filling mom used to get which was usually made with water. Alas, they no longer carry that particular style, but they did have instant sugar free lemon pie filling meant to be made with milk. I wondered how it would turn out if I used water instead, and I'm happy to say it turned out rather well! Its instant pudding, so after mixing it together, I poured it into four 1/2 pint jars to make 4 servings, and plan to happily eat one tonight after church.

Now I wonder if the other flavors would do as well with water!
  • itzaboutme
    itzaboutme Posts: 14 Member
    I have recently discovered cauliflower... I like it substituted for rice, or simply roasted. I found the key to cauliflower is the seasoning. My husband is a huge fan of the "Spanish rice" I put the riced cauliflower in a pan with salsa and voilà.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    My favorite recent food finds:

Oikos triple zero yogurt - 15 g. protein, 7 net carbs (10 g - 3 g fiber) , 0 fat, 90-100 calories, depending on the flavor. I like mixing in a tablespoon on PB fit powder into the vanilla flavor. Frozen fruit mixed in turns it into something like ice cream.

Mission Carb balance tortillas - just 3 net carbs (18 g - 15 g fiber) 60 to 70 calories per wrap (depending on flavor) and they taste like a regular flour tortilla that has 200 calories.

Liquid egg whites - I've been making myself a microwave omelette nearly every day for breakfast. I'll mix in ham, bacon and or cheese and veggies. Very easy to get a tasty low calorie, high protein breakfast that sets you up for meeting your macro goals for the day.
  • jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    @speyerj I'm not doing low carb or anything, but I love those Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortillas! I think they taste as good or better than regular flour tortillas & I really like that it has a good bit of fiber, a little protein & only 70 cals while still being relatively big. I more or less use it for a vehicle for whatever meat I'm having (Cajun turkey, salsa chicken, etc.). I'm not a huge bread person (unless it's special like cheddar garlic biscuits, garlic bread or a really good soft roll).

My SIL likes the Oikos & that's what my nieces (ages 2.5 & just turned 4) eat every day as part of their breakfast (although I'm not sure if the ones she gets for them are the triple zero or some other version). I've been meaning to try it. Do you know if the strawberry is smooth or if it has chunks? I think it's a texture thing, but I don't typically like chunks in things. :D
  • bmeadows380
    @jlucas210 its been a while since I had the oikos triple zero, but I think its smooth. I like that it's thick - I've found that much prefer the thickness of Greek yogurt or Icelandic Skyr much more than regular yogurt. Right now I'm occasionally eating Danon Light & Fit Greek because it's 80 calories versus 100 (every little bit helps, right? lol)

Siggi's makes a great Skyr if you can find it, though watch which one you get because some are decent calories but others are pretty high. The only thing with Siggi's is that it's not sweet enough for me, so I'm usually adding a packet or two of splenda or truvia to it. Really high in protein, though!

Have you found the St. Joseph's flax pita yet? 60 calories for 1 whole pita! I also use Sarah Lee delightfuls multigrain bread because it's only 45 calories a slice and I can't make my own and get it down that low. I just hate the price on it :(
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Just to clarify, I am not doing low carb, but I'm trying to eat less carbs. I'm striving for a 30/35/35 macro mix. Speaking for myself, I find that too many carbs leads to too many more carbs. I find that its harder to stay satiated in my calorie limit with the 50/30/20 that MFP defaults too.
  • itzaboutme
    itzaboutme Posts: 14 Member
    Finally did it: zoodles! Mmmmm
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I love the Joseph’s flat out wraps and breads....I have one almost every day for lunch...I only count calories...I do not eat anything I don’t like....I don’t count carbs or fat and I don’t fast or do Keto....I have lost 62 lbs since last May 28... and I always have my snacks!
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Courgettes. Grated, liquid squeezed out and then mixed with an egg and garlic for a a courgette fritter. One decent sized courgette will give three or four fritters. Freshly ground black pepper and you've got a quick lunch.
  • bmeadows380
    I love the Joseph’s flat out wraps and breads....I have one almost every day for lunch...I only count calories...I do not eat anything I don’t like....I don’t count carbs or fat and I don’t fast or do Keto....I have lost 62 lbs since last May 28... and I always have my snacks!

sounds like we've got similar plans going :) I don't bother counting carbs or fat, and I only make an attempt to get the protein goal in. Once in a while I might try to fast, and I don't even bother considering keto or low carb or paleo or any of the other strategies out there; I know myself and know that I need as few restraints as possible if this is going to work for me - and so far, it has, better than anything else I ever tried!

I made Arroz con Pollo yesterday for dinner, but I was kind of disappointed in it. I've made that recipe before, but the one thing I changed was I used jasmine rice instead of regular brown rice, and the rice just didn't want to cook up correctly. So lesson learned!
  • conniewilkins56
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    Courgettes. Grated, liquid squeezed out and then mixed with an egg and garlic for a a courgette fritter. One decent sized courgette will give three or four fritters. Freshly ground black pepper and you've got a quick lunch.

I can’t wait to try this...I made zucchini sticks yesterday and they were great...I bet the fritters would be good with a little onion and Parmesan mixed in....thanks!
  • conniewilkins56

sounds like we've got similar plans going :) I don't bother counting carbs or fat, and I only make an attempt to get the protein goal in. Once in a while I might try to fast, and I don't even bother considering keto or low carb or paleo or any of the other strategies out there; I know myself and know that I need as few restraints as possible if this is going to work for me - and so far, it has, better than anything else I ever tried!

I made Arroz con Pollo yesterday for dinner, but I was kind of disappointed in it. I've made that recipe before, but the one thing I changed was I used jasmine rice instead of regular brown rice, and the rice just didn't want to cook up correctly. So lesson learned!

I have been reading all of your posts and great ideas...you are motivating me!...thanks for all of your input!

• bmeadows380
    @conniewilkins56 ah, thank you! :)

I've figured out a new dessert idea! Turns out that sugar free pudding tastes just fine made with water instead of milk. This means that a small box which is 4 servings is only 25 calories per serving.

I took four half pint jars, crumbled 1/4 of a graham cracker into each jar (which is 1 serving of graham crackers, or 2 sheets at 130 calories), then made my pudding with water and poured into each jar. My intention is to then top each jar with 1 serving of fat free ready whip (which is 5 calories per serving) for my own single serving butterscotch pies! And they are clocking in at around 63 calories each!

For a few extra calories, one could also take those 2 graham crackers, a little sweetener if desired and probably around 1 Tbsp of butter and make real graham cracker crusts to pat down into the jars first, but if using real butter, that'll add another 25 calories to each, and I didn't want that.
  • dishiznice
    dishiznice Posts: 22 Member
    brussels sprouts when cooked right are a saving grace. i used to turn my nose up at them but now they are basically candy with a bit of olive oil and garlic in the pan! also had cauliflower risotto over the holidays, dying to try it again!
  • bmeadows380
    dishiznice wrote: »
    brussels sprouts when cooked right are a saving grace. i used to turn my nose up at them but now they are basically candy with a bit of olive oil and garlic in the pan! also had cauliflower risotto over the holidays, dying to try it again!

I hated squash and brussel sprouts both growing up, but my food choices have changed a lot and now I like both. Brussel sprouts are great, especially roasted with a little butter or olive oil and with a sprinkle of bacon!

Another thing I've found I like? Greens, especially spinach. I still hate the canned stuff, though. My mother only rarely served spinach and none of the other greens when I was growing up, but I moved out and a few years ago decided to give fresh and frozen greens a try. Fresh spinach is worlds different from the canned stuff! I love to saute it in a pan, and then toss with a little garlic powder and white wine or white baslamic vinegar. I like collard greens, too!
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member

Another thing I've found I like? Greens, especially spinach. I still hate the canned stuff, though. My mother only rarely served spinach and none of the other greens when I was growing up, but I moved out and a few years ago decided to give fresh and frozen greens a try. Fresh spinach is worlds different from the canned stuff! I love to saute it in a pan, and then toss with a little garlic powder and white wine or white baslamic vinegar. I like collard greens, too!

I hated spinach growing up but love it now. I made this recipe called spinach triangles. I has spinach, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic, and hot sauce. I ended up eating all of them in one sitting they were so good. I neec to dig out that recipe.
  • melanie_marie78
    melanie_marie78 Posts: 17 Member
    Aged cheeses have been my favorite lately. I have this 18 month aged gouda that's just incredible. I weigh out an ounce just to snack on and it looks like so much. Aged cheeses have this wonderful crystal-like crunch in them too.. so texture and flavor together makes them so satisfying to me.
  • I do my boyfriend fish according to James Beard's rule, and they bake perfectly every time.

Cast iron skillet. Spray oil the skillet. Lay the filet in. Spray oil the filet (so the spices stick) and season well with spices to taste. (Penzey's Lemon Pepper is always popular) Put into a preheated 400 degree oven at 10 minutes per inch of thickness, double if working from frozen.

It never fails.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    I love brussel sprouts with bacon and apples. So very good! I am also a big fan of zoodles. Use them as spagehtti noodles, soup noodles, etc. So versatile. I am also enjoying omelets with veggies (spinach, red onion, zucchini, and a little mozzerella). So satisfying!
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Sweetcorn fritters made with fresh sweetcorn, polenta, eggs and sour cream. It's a Peter Gordon recipe if you can be bothered to look it up (kiwi chef....famous here!) that he does with oysters. I do mine without oysters but come oyster season I'm going to get some. Such a great recipe and for gluten-free people it's awesome... that's how I first discovered it.