Calorie Counter

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• nossmfnossmf Member Posts: 1,122 Member Member Posts: 1,122 Member
    SFnBald wrote: »
    Trying to get things under control. Anyone have any tips for breaking my sugar addiction? It’s my biggest hurdle to getting back to a healthy life. Feel free to add me too please!

Personally, I find it takes a 2-part approach:

1. Try substituting out something else sweet, such as fruit or cinnamon toast or semi-sweet chocolate chips which get old fast and encourage less eating, along with...
    2. Pre-measure out small amounts of the real stuff. Total denial is difficult, but by pre-measuring some you can control the amount of calories yet still indulge occasionally.
  • mcemino2mcemino2 Member Posts: 429 Member Member Posts: 429 Member
    KISS concert tonight!!!
    g8v1831ngnwv.jpg

Hope it was a good show! saw them in the early 90's in the no makeup phase.
  • drmwcdrmwc Member, Premium Posts: 500 Member Member, Premium Posts: 500 Member
    Trying to get things under control. Anyone have any tips for breaking my sugar addiction? It’s my biggest hurdle to getting back to a healthy life. Feel free to add me too please!

I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes in February last year. I also have a massively sweet tooth. So I adopted a "cold turkey" approach - I try to completely avoid food containing processed sugar. I am more confident in my ability to abstain than my ability to moderate. I still eat a lot of fruit and veg, so get quite a lot of naturally occurring sugar.

The good news is that my approach has worked for me for the last year, The diabetes is in remission, with no drugs needed- my recent 1AC readings have been well below the threshold for pre-diabetes.

I suspect he most important part of my lifestyle changes was the weight loss rather than the no processed sugar thing (I have lost 40 pounds). However, I've found an approach that works for me.
    edited February 10
  • gam3rguygam3rguy Member Posts: 3,655 Member Member Posts: 3,655 Member
    "22 Minute Hard Corps Resistance 2! & Brute Force Blue Line Fitness Series: Total Body AMRAP 20”!!! 60#!!!
  • DjproulxDjproulx Member Posts: 2,079 Member Member Posts: 2,079 Member

This is a challenge for me as well. I've identified some of the triggers that lead to my snacking and I try break that habit loop. I'm far more likely to eat sweets if I"m very fatigued (like after a swim workout) and sitting in front of the TV or at the computer.

So I try to leave room in my calorie budget to allow for a protein drink that I consume as a treat in the evening. It really reduces my urge to snack on other sugary foods.
  • D13ntj3D13ntj3 Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all, can I join you please? I've just turned 40 last week :smile:
    In the past years, I have been tracking my habits on and off. Every time, after a couple of months, I fall back into less healthy habits and it would be great if I can keep it up this time. That's why I thought it might be good to chat with like-minded people, as my husband is not into health or fitness at all.
    I am married and have 2 kids, 4 and 7 years old. I work almost full time, mostly home-office but some days I travel by car. My goal is to run my first half-marathon by October.
  • nickpnhnickpnh Member Posts: 107 Member Member Posts: 107 Member
    8 days of abs,done longest commitment I've kept to myself yet... baby steps
  • nossmfnossmf Member Posts: 1,122 Member Member Posts: 1,122 Member
    Welcome, @D13ntj3!
    edited February 10
  • caramelgyrlkcaramelgyrlk Member Posts: 1,083 Member Member Posts: 1,083 Member
    Happy Monday kids. Full training underway now. I am confirmed by the US Powerlifting to compete. I am excited and ready to HULK smash some steel. The goal is to open my deadlift with 125 kilos(275lbs), 72.5 kilos (160lbs), and 45.5 kilos for Squat. The deadlift and bench are more attainable than these dang squats. I am interacting with an experienced PL coach in Texas. He reviewed my videos and provided invaluable feedback. I may get these darn squats under control by May. The dogs and I had a long walk in the woods and they were pooped and I still wanted more scenery. Oh well, another day in my crazy life. Welcome newbies. Have a great day.
  • DjproulxDjproulx Member Posts: 2,079 Member Member Posts: 2,079 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Welcome, @D13ntj3!

Ditto. Good to have another runner in the Club.
  • caramelgyrlkcaramelgyrlk Member Posts: 1,083 Member Member Posts: 1,083 Member

Sugar is something I struggled with for many years as an emotional eater.

I made small changes each day, that transcended to larger goals each week. I reached a point where things were too sweet for my palette.

Overall it takes effort and resilience.

I also agree with Steve, drink lots of water.

Sent a FR also.
  • alteredsteve175alteredsteve175 Member Posts: 2,190 Member Member Posts: 2,190 Member
    ... The goal is to open my deadlift with 125 kilos(275lbs), 72.5 kilos (160lbs), and 45.5 kilos for Squat. The deadlift and bench are more attainable than these dang squats. I am interacting with an experienced PL coach in Texas. He reviewed my videos and provided invaluable feedback. I may get these darn squats under control by May. The dogs and I had a long walk in the woods and they were pooped and I still wanted more scenery. Oh well, another day in my crazy life. Welcome newbies. Have a great day.

You're an inspiration, Kym. I hear you on those squats. I have been working on flexibility and doing goblet squats onto a box for months now. I think I have the form grooved. Time to get back under the bar and see what I can do.

"Sagi's Exclusives Equipment Room: Chest & Tris"=Done!
    mcemino2 wrote: »
    KISS concert tonight!!!
    g8v1831ngnwv.jpg

Hope it was a good show! saw them in the early 90's in the no makeup phase.

saw them in the 90's as well. at MSG in NYC! Psycho Circus tour!
  • mcemino2mcemino2 Member Posts: 429 Member Member Posts: 429 Member
    Don't remember what tour it was, may have been Psycho Circus. If i remember right it was only Paul and Gene.
  • nickpnhnickpnh Member Posts: 107 Member Member Posts: 107 Member
    Day 9 abs done,let the rat race begin
  • DaniMerc72DaniMerc72 Member Posts: 178 Member Member Posts: 178 Member
    UGH--Had a crap day yesterday and ate some feelings. The scale went back up today, and damn it was ugly. Today's a new day, right?
  • tcunbelievertcunbeliever Member Posts: 7,830 Member Member Posts: 7,830 Member
    KISS was epic!!! Their current drummer is AMAZING!!! Plus, of course, Gene and Paul are always epic!!! Spaceman was solid, just not as stand out as everyone else, which is cool, someone has to be relatively normal, I guess!!!

I managed to make up most of the scheduled workouts despite the crazy schedule. I did eat too much, but I'm working on making up for that slowly over the course of the week.
  • katarina005katarina005 Member Posts: 259 Member Member Posts: 259 Member
    Hi....I would like to join..not sure how? I'm 43 and have 4 kids all grown and out of the house except one (he's 8 yrs old ). My goal is to lose about 10 lbs and to eat healthy. Right now I don't exercise but I'm looking to start when I find what will work for me. I'm doing the 1200 calorie count and have lost 3 lbs so far (just started last week ).

welcome to MFP! It's pretty helpful. Congrats on your weight loss.
    "Sagi's Exclusives Equipment Room: Legs"=Done!