Subway

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    On the rare occasion that I go to a Subway, I get the veggiemax patty on the most whole grain bread they currently sell with a bunch of veggies added. Sometimes it doesn't show up on the menu board, but they always have one available if I ask.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I skip the bread and get one of their salads.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    6-inch Rotisserie-style Chicken on 9-grain. Toasted, no cheese. Spinach, lettuce, tomato, and onion, with a touch of sweet onion sauce. 310 calories and sodium is barely tolerable at 635 mg. But it's one of the very few fast food items that fit my sodium diet.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    I don't go to Subway often anymore but, when I do, I like the sliders. Sure, they're barbie sized (LIKE MY KIDS SIZED ROAST BEEF SANDWICH...ARGH!) but I like that I can get the steak and cheese and whittle it down to 140ish calories and not have to take the calorie hit on the 6 inch.

I also like the (ARGH!!!!) roast beef sandwich. I have them scoop out the fleshy part of the bread and have it with some lettuce, black olives, and mustard. I barely miss that extra part of the bread.

I'm definitely going to try that veggie delight concoction. I prefer more protein with those calories but that marinara sauce is selling me on it....
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    6 in, whole wheat, turkey, pepperjack cheese, lots of veggies, and honey mustard.
  • MrsDogLady
    MrsDogLady Posts: 156 Member
    The 6" turkey is my go-to. No cheese, a little extra turkey and they will stack as many veggies as you ask for so I go BIG on the veggies, to the point that closing the sandwich is a challenge. Some honey mustard and it's a true masterpiece.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I was wondering the other day about their bread. Nowhere in the wild have I ever seen a 6" roll with those calories. Do we think they're using the wiggle room of their margin for error by understating? Or are they bread wizards? 'd love to be able to source rolls like that for sandwiches at home.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I don't like Subway very well at all. But when I go, I always get a steak & egg white breakfast sub on flatbread, no cheese, all the veggies & spicy mustard.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    I get the 12" whole wheat veggie, no cheese, extra hots, no pickles....their pickles taste fake. No dressing, no salt and pepper. I don't eat the top part of the bun. It's like a portable salad, very filling.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    6 inch ham and turkey on wheat with veggies and mustard or steak and cheese with veggies, green olives and bbq sauce
  • karenscfld
    karenscfld Posts: 38 Member
    I don't typically eat Subway because I'm trying to minimize carbs. I go for a Jimmy Johns Unwich, wraps the sandwich ingredients in lettuce so reduces the carbs considerably. Its good too.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I like the salads. The vegetables fill me up better than the bread and carry a lower glycemic load (medical stuff).
  • labrat1851
    labrat1851 Posts: 1 Member
    I have two favs at Subway. (1) 6 in turkey and cheese on 9 grain with lettuce, tom, olives (just a few), green pep, jalapeño, and light portion of honey mustard. (2) 6 in ham and mozzarella cheese with a light portion of pizza sauce, and any veggies you like on a pizza (I usually use onion, green pep, jalapeño, banana peppers, and olives (light portion). Ask them to microwave the sandwich so the cheese melts (or heat once home). If I'm really hungry, I also order a veggie salad with lettuce, tom, green pep, olives, jalapeño, and banana peppers-no dressing. The banana peppers act as a vinaigrette. Sometimes I will also crumble up two club crackers. I follow WW which is about 1300 cal per day. Works for me.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,080 Member
    I eat at Subway occasionally when I’m out and hungry and don’t want to spend much. I usually get a 6 inch turkey or ham on 9 grain wheat with lots of veggies and jalapeños for kick and mustard and a little bit of low fat mayo. It’s not a lot of calories so it’s a pretty good choice as far as eating out goes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I was wondering the other day about their bread. Nowhere in the wild have I ever seen a 6" roll with those calories. Do we think they're using the wiggle room of their margin for error by understating? Or are they bread wizards? 'd love to be able to source rolls like that for sandwiches at home.

My impression (from eating them) is that there is a ton of air in their bread.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    I haven't had Subway in at least a year or more. In my obese days, I would get the 12" steak and cheese with EXTRA steak AND cheese and extra mayo and southwest sauce. Toasted. I know this doesn't help you OP other than, don't do what I did! :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yeeeeeeeeah, so because of this thread and some extra calories, I picked up a subway sandwich last night. I took @Hawksgirl229 veggie delight and modified for my taste. 6 inch on white (didn't even have them scoop out the best part of the bread), lettuce, tomato, pickles, black olives, parmesean cheese, and marinara sauce that I added myself when I got home.

Pretty good. :)
  • hawksgirl229
    hawksgirl229 Posts: 467 Member
    Another combo I like to make at subway is rotisserie chicken provolone cheese marinara sauce on Italian herb cheese bread extra toasted with veggies and hots to make a ckn parmesan sandwich.😊
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited February 2020

My impression (from eating them) is that there is a ton of air in their bread.

Once I saw the bread just after they formed it, before it proofed. I said “Wow! How do you get that big loaf of bread out of that little bitty snake of dough?” Someone should just buy the bread, no filling, and weigh it—just to see.

Edited to add— I’m a bread baker— it definitely more than doubles.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Last time I went I ordered a Italian bmt on flat bread with provolone it was yummy but next time I think I'd add sauce it was under 600 calories