It's girl scout cookie time

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I always just hand them money as a donation. Buying the cookies isn't required.

I generally do this when anyone is selling something as a fundraiser.

I've just given money for other fundraisers, but not GS Cookies. My favorites are Thin Mints. They are especially good crumbled up and baked in brownies.
  • kshama2001
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    If a Girl Scout rings my doorbell, I shall purchase two boxes of Thin Mints. No Samoas or Tagalongs this year.

Already rethinking the Samoas. Maybe one box.

I should say that it's unlikely a Girl Scout WILL ring my doorbell. Previous years I've bought from a co-worker, but that is no longer applicable. ;)

Girl Scouts sell them at my church. I will buy one box of Thin Mints and one of Samoas (I do this every year).

I get mine at the local grocery store. The girl scouts will usually have a table set up with cookies.

Yes, that's what they do here in Massachusetts. Also at Walmart.
  • kshama2001
    My earliest memory of feeling sick from eating too much was with GS cookies when I was a Scout.
  • Gave $20 to Troops for Troops. I'm sure some soldier will be better eating them than me.
  • kshama2001
    Gave $20 to Troops for Troops. I'm sure some soldier will be better eating them than me.

I couldn't find "Troops for Troops." Did you mean "Treats for Troops?" That I found.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    I think it's also a factor for me that they are not always available. I can get Oreos at any store, but I can't just pick up a box of Thin Mints whenever I want them. It makes it seem more like a special treat.

Walgreens store brand (Nice) makes cookies identical in every way to Girl Scout cookies, they run about $2 - $3 a box and you don’t have to deal with a child to get them.
  • PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    I don't think anyone is going to try to sell me any. Otherwise, I would buy. Nom nom nom.
  • kshama2001
    edited February 2020
    I bought a box for my brother and donated $20 to send to the troops overseas. I was stationed overseas and would have loved to receive a box of cookies (although Okinawa was not a hardship post, lol.) (Please don't thank me for my service.)

Don't open if you are triggered by GS cookies:
    Enter your zip code to find a location selling cookies near you: https://www.girlscouts.org/en/cookies/cookies.html
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I'm in a gated community without kids so no one sells here. I haven't had girl scout cookies in ages, I used to eat a sleeve of frozen thin mints in one sitting. I'm awful at moderating so I'm going to pretend I don't see them at the store and avoid eye contact. I do like the idea of donating for troops.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited February 2020
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I think it's also a factor for me that they are not always available. I can get Oreos at any store, but I can't just pick up a box of Thin Mints whenever I want them. It makes it seem more like a special treat.

Walgreens store brand (Nice) makes cookies identical in every way to Girl Scout cookies, they run about $2 - $3 a box and you don’t have to deal with a child to get them.

Bet your house gets egged on Halloween :).
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Support your local baby entrepreneurs. Enjoy a treat while you're at it.
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    My buddy has boxes of frozen thin mints. He has to do 20 burpees everytime he wants a cookie. I don't love Girl Scout cookies as much as I hate 20 burpees.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »

Bet your house gets egged on Halloween :).

I live in a secured building—I haven’t seen a trick or treater in at least 5 or 6 years, lol. I don’t have any friends with kids, so probably longer than that.
  • ArlingtonGyrl
    ArlingtonGyrl Posts: 1 Member
    I was just thinking about this today. I was thinking of buying two boxes. I can’t trust myself. So I won’t be buying any ..
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    I bought 8 boxes today so I'm good for this girl scout cookie season and won't have to hunt anymore troops down.

I'm pretty good at moderating them (except for the tagalongs because I put them in the fridge and it's hard to eat just one (row) when they're cold so I only bought one box of those).
  • WynterDreaming
    WynterDreaming Posts: 83 Member
    I bought one box of Tagalongs because my boss brought a sheet into work for his Granddaughter. To me at least, the cookies don't really taste as good as they used to and at $5 a box, it's not really worth it. I'll always buy one or two anyways because I was a Girl Scout once and you gotta make that cookie quota but otherwise I'm really not all that interested. The only other thing on the list I'm interested in are Trefoils, and I'm pretty sure I have a really nice shortbread recipe somewhere and I can probably find a Trefoil cookie cutter so I can have them all year long.
  • karenscfld
    karenscfld Posts: 38 Member
    Aldi sells cookies that are identical to Girl Scout cookies, they are way less expensive and just as bad for you!!
    6wcjkvado4mx.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    karenscfld wrote: »
    Aldi sells cookies that are identical to Girl Scout cookies, they are way less expensive and just as bad for you!!
    6wcjkvado4mx.png

I'll give you the price but why are they bad for you? Is everyone allergic to them? Do they choke on the crumbs as the cookie is going down so they keel over and die? Are they a bad influence, making people skip school, do drugs, shoplift?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited February 2020

I don't think a cookie or two a day (these are small cookies and not high cal), especially limited to a couple of boxes in the entirety of a year, are in any way "bad for me."

They do have at least one ingredient I otherwise avoid -- palm oil -- but for me the whole point is supporting the Girl Scouts and them being a fun once a year thing, so I wouldn't be interested in buying them from a store. (If I just wanted tasty cookies my personal view is that homemade ones would be tastier anyway, as well as cheaper.)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    6wcjkvado4mx.png

I'll give you the price but why are they bad for you? Is everyone allergic to them? Do they choke on the crumbs as the cookie is going down so they keel over and die? Are they a bad influence, making people skip school, do drugs, shoplift?

Because of the ChemiKILLZ! ;)