February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Great running @MegaMooseEsq !
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Race report: Memphis Runner’s Track Club Winter off-road series race #3, the Stanky Creek 8k at Nesbit Park!

Great race! Sounds like given your current training you did very well - and as for the rest of the series, it ain't over yet!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Congratulations on your race @rheddmobile! You did it! Great race report, you and your husband seem like fun people to race with. As long as I wasn't being too precious about not stepping in the mud :). Before I read your caption I was thinking that I hoped no one tripped over that timing mat. I've never seen one like that but it looks like a hazard! Good luck with the rest of the series! How many more races?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    SUNDAY UPDATE - Pastor Vincent vs Boston!

For those new/or with short memories I recently hired a coach to help me run faster - with the goal of a BQ in 2021. It is probably an unrealistic goal, but I am not getting any younger, so going for it. Several people asked to be updated on what the coach has in for me so I post each week what the coach's plan was, and what I actually did.

DAY :::: PLAN :::: ACUTAL
    Monday :::: 10 miles :::: 10 miles
    Tuesday :::: Rest Day ::::: Rest Day
    Wednesday :::: 10 miles :::: 10 miles
    Thursday :::: 8 miles+ Strides :::: 5 Miles on dreadmil
    Friday :::: Rest Day :::: Rest Day
    Saturday ::::: 8 miles easy, 8 at MGP ::::: 8 miles easy, 9 near MGP
    Sunday ::::: 5 miles ::::: 5 Miles on dreadmil

Total Miles: Plan 49, Actual 47

I missed the run on Thursday due to scheduling, but I got close to plan this week at least. :)

@PastorVincent you’re killing it!

What does it mean for Thursday “strides?”

Do you find it difficult to stick to the plan?

HOW do you fit it all in?

How do I fit it all in? Easy, I do not. :)
    I am actually way down on mileage so far this year. Normally I would be closer to 60 miles a week at this point in my training. I do what I can and I do not worry about what I can not do. That is pretty much my general take on life. I do the best I can, and what happens, happens. Stressing about it will not change anything, so I do not.

Strides... well there is what coach says, and there is what I do. What coach says is:
    10 - 100 meter or 20 second strides

*slowly build up to about 90% of top speed hold speed and then easy out

build over 15 meters or about 5 seconds
    maintain 70 meters or 10 seconds
    ease out over 15 meters or about 5 seconds

But that is way too complicated for me, so I just sprint really hard for the 100m :)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @rheddmobile Great race report - I love the part about the lady trying to keep her shoes dry. Should'a signed up for a road race! :)
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    2-1 7k easy + yoga
    2-2 11k slow
    2-3 7k easy + resistance bands
    2-4 rest + yoga
    2-5 7k slow + resistance bands
    2-6 7k slow + yoga
    2-7 rest + resistance bands
    2-8 7k easy + yoga
    2-9 8.2k moderate
    2-10 7k moderate + resistance bands

February Total: 61.2k
    February Goal: 140k

January Total: 161k

Drizzly, 40 degrees F, and an occasional breeze from whatever direction it felt like blowing from. Yesterday's evening snow had turned to rain during the night, and most of the running trail was clear -- except for the parts with running water on them and the wooden footbridges, which had about 2 inches of slush on the decks. Ran them on the first lap, but dodged them on the second lap. I hate having wet feet, but once they get wet, they don't get any wetter.

Congratulations to all this past weekend's racers.

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

@Tramboman I so want to be a morning person! For me to run in the mornings, I'd have to wake up around 4am, get out the door by 5am, and be back by six am. This doesn't sound totally impossible except I NEED my sleep. I'm not someone who can do six hours a night....

You should be proud of yourself! Do you have a specific morning routine that helps you get out the door?
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    My goals for 2020 are to stay injury free and healthy. I am also possibly going to try again for my first half marathon.

February goal : 70 miles
    Plan goal: 76 miles

2/1 - 6 miles
    2/3. - 3 miles
    2/4 - 2 miles
    2/5 - 2 miles
    2/8 - 6.2 miles
    2/10 - 3 miles

Monthly total - 22.2 miles (3 miles behind)

Races:
    March 14:
    St. Malachi 2 mile and 5 mile
    May 16:
    Cleveland Marathon Half and 5k
    June 13 - 14:
    Run and Ride Cedar Point 5k and Quarter Marathon
    September 20:
    Cleveland Hero's Run 5 miler
    December 5:
    Santa Hustle Cedar Point 5k
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    I love reading the race reports and seeing all of the pictures! Congratulations to everyone who raced.

@janejellyroll - that sounds like something I would do but I am usually not smart enough to take money with me so I would be stuck.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @janejellyroll
    Yikes....that sounds cold! On the positive note, shivering (which I rarely get to experience here in TX) is a great calorie burn. I was cold just reading your post!

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/shivering-triggers-brown-fat-produce-heat-burn-calories
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @janejellyroll
    Yikes....that sounds cold! On the positive note, shivering (which I rarely get to experience here in TX) is a great calorie burn. I was cold just reading your post!

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/shivering-triggers-brown-fat-produce-heat-burn-calories

There's the silver lining!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @janejellyroll I am so sorry to hear this! But! Silver lining - you burned a lot of calories and you still ran. Just not in the race. And you learned some important things, too.

@Tramboman what did you do before you retired? I am going to start investing more in my retirement. I would LOVE some days with very few responsibilities!