the insulin battle

I am so frustrated. on my own last year I lost 100 pounds. Three weeks ago I was in ICU and diagnosed with type two diabetes after knocking on deaths door while having influenza. The Doctors put me on insulin , to my dismay I am gaining a pound a day! I have gained 20 pounds with exercise and no carbs no sugar, hi protein diet. This does not make sense.the way I see it to loose the 20 pounds will take ten weeks if I am lucky. it is such a set back. I want to be healthy and fit. How can one gain doing everything right, I use a scale to measure and measuring cups.
I would appreciate any ideas to help me take the rest of the weight off.
Joanne

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited February 2020
    I am so frustrated. on my own last year I lost 100 pounds. Three weeks ago I was in ICU and diagnosed with type two diabetes after knocking on deaths door while having influenza. The Doctors put me on insulin , to my dismay I am gaining a pound a day! I have gained 20 pounds with exercise and no carbs no sugar, hi protein diet. This does not make sense.the way I see it to loose the 20 pounds will take ten weeks if I am lucky. it is such a set back. I want to be healthy and fit. How can one gain doing everything right, I use a scale to measure and measuring cups.
    Joanne

If you're gaining a pound per day, the most likely cause is water retention, when you start new medication quite often it's one of the possible side effects. If it's uncomfortable it might be worthwhile talking to your doctor.

If you've been so ill you've been in the ICU, I'd probably focus on eating at maintenance for a little while, unless your doctor has encouraged you to lose weight immediately, so that you can help your body recover (it needs calories to do that).

As long as you're not eating in a calorie surplus, you're not gaining fat. To gain a pound of fat you'd need to be eating 3500 calories above maintenance, if you're weighing your food then you know what your intake is, trust the maths.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Joanne

If you're gaining a pound per day, the most likely cause is water retention, when you start new medication quite often it's one of the possible side effects. If it's uncomfortable it might be worthwhile talking to your doctor.

If you've been so ill you've been in the ICU, I'd probably focus on eating at maintenance for a little while, unless your doctor has encouraged you to lose weight immediately, so that you can help your body recover (it needs calories to do that).

As long as you're not eating in a calorie surplus, you're not gaining fat. To gain a pound of fat you'd need to be eating 3500 calories above maintenance, if you're weighing your food then you know what your intake is, trust the maths.

This.

I personally believe that you have to work really hard to gain a pound of fat in a day. It is not as easy as the old adage of looking at a bowl of ice cream/plate of cookies/etc. and gaining weight.

Rapid weight gain and loss is almost always mostly water and/or it has something to do with food waste.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    are you under the care of a diabetic educator or a dietician?

I think somebody new to insulin dependant diabetes would be well advised to seek some guidance from a professional in that area.