Lost Weight in Winter/Gaining in Summer

I am starting again to try to lose weight by logging. I had looked at my history and realized that I had a trend of losing weight in winter month and stop during summer. I look at my MFP history, I always stopped logging around April and not sure what made me loose motivation at that time. I live in Southern California, so summer is super hot and winter is only a bit cold. Somehow the hot weather make me lose control with my cravings.

Replies

• shsa_rod
    shsa_rod Posts: 5 Member
    I know I typically gain in the summer cause I drink more... lol
  • rsergeant79
    rsergeant79 Posts: 45 Member
    Omg this is me! Every year is the same - I struggle to lose in the summer and then as soon as Oct hits whoosh!
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Omg this is me! Every year is the same - I struggle to lose in the summer and then as soon as Oct hits whoosh!

Do you live in hot summer area too? I wonder if the hot weather is what affecting my mood thus affecting my self-control
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Do you over restrict for a few months making it hard and undesirable to continue with your routine? Do you become more active in the summer but don't adjust your calories? The opposite because it's too hot?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Opposite for me. I put on about 10 Lbs over the winter and take it off in the spring...usually by June I'm down to my maintenance weight. It's largely a combination of being less active both in regards to exercise as well as general activity with it being dark and cold and our winter foods tend to be heavier casseroles, stews, etc...and then you have the holidays.

In the summer I'm way more active and with the heat of the desert I tend more towards salads, grilled meats and fish, fresh fruits, and veggies. I have a pool, so I'm always out there chasing the kids around in the water.
  • skinnyjingbb
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Do you over restrict for a few months making it hard and undesirable to continue with your routine? Do you become more active in the summer but don't adjust your calories? The opposite because it's too hot?

I usually start with low daily calorie but do go up after one or two month since I lost weight. I think am actually more active in winter since I only go walking on weekends when it is not sunny because I hate the summer sun light in LA. But in general I don't do too much exercise when I am trying to lose weight.
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    I'd reflect on how your routine changes in the summer. You say you live in SoCal, so the weather is warmer. Do you go to the beach and eat out more? Go to parties more often? Work shorter days and enjoy going outside, followed by snacks?

I know in the summer, I have no structure (since I'm a teacher and have the time off), so it's more difficult for me to structure my day around stuff other than meals. So that's what's tough for me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited February 2020
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Opposite for me. I put on about 10 Lbs over the winter and take it off in the spring...usually by June I'm down to my maintenance weight. It's largely a combination of being less active both in regards to exercise as well as general activity with it being dark and cold and our winter foods tend to be heavier casseroles, stews, etc...and then you have the holidays.

In the summer I'm way more active and with the heat of the desert I tend more towards salads, grilled meats and fish, fresh fruits, and veggies. I have a pool, so I'm always out there chasing the kids around in the water.

Same for me, but for the pool and the kids.

Of course, I live in Chicago, not Southern Cal. My exercise today was some weights at the gym plus shoveling snow and I postponed some errands I normally would have done on the way home (which would have allowed me to get more walking in) because it is around 9 degrees and I didn't want to be out more than I had to be.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I gain in winter when it’s cold, lose in summer when I’m out running around.
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2020
    It's so hot and humid here in GA in summer that walking outdoors is misery. I love this time of year except for the rain. This evening I walked in Capris and T shirt; it was marvelous.
  • skinnyjingbb
    It's so hot and humid here in GA in summer that walking outdoors is misery. I love this time of year except for the rain. This evening I walked in Capris and T shirt; it was marvelous.

I think the great SoCal summer is just to much for me while winter is much nicer weather for out door activity. Also, generally I use no heating in my home or office, probably burn more calorie in winter just to keep warm as I always have warm hand even in winter.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    I'm the same, and its simply because we camp all summer. In the winter its easy to get workouts in and eat salads all the time. Camping makes things more challenging but I've dedicated myself this year to not letting it all go down hill during the summer.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I’m the complete opposite. In winter I’m sedentary and in summer I am very active. I hate the cold.