How did you transition to maintenance

I'm 15 pounds from goal. My plan was always to stay at 1.5 pounds a week until I hit goal and then switch to maintenance. But looking at maintenance calories compared to current calories and that seems like a lot of calories. I was thinking switch the goal to 1 pound a week and get used to that.
Of course, I almost never eat back all my exercise calories according to MFP. This is deliberate on my part because I don't trust the calorie calculator in the recipes or exercise 100%. Even when I check the USDA site, there can be 5 different numbers for apparently identical items.
Did you taper off your weight loss to maintenance or go "cold turkey" with your weight loss?

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I'm trying to creep my weight back down by only .5 lbs per week, but as my NEAT creeps up, I keep having to adjust my calories up by 100 calories/day/week. Because I'm going so slowly, I have a really good idea of what exercise calories are roughly correct for me and which ones are not. Over time, everything has averaged out or I've been able to make mental adjustments for things that are too egregiously off to fade into background noise.

Because I only have about 250-300 lbs/day more to add to my daily eating to get back to maintenance, I could just jump into maintenance cold turkey, but I'll probably creep my calories back up by 100 or 50cal/day/week as I have been all along. It might mean I lose an extra half pound or pound, but those will get lost in the rest of the numbers over time and habits will control where I settle.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I was losing 0.5lb per week and once I hit goal I started to add calories. My body naturally increases NEAT in response to more calories so I take it really slow and steady. It usually takes about two weeks for me to hit maintenance. Since you are still losing quite fast without a lot to lose I would start to increase calories to lose 1lb per week, then 0.5lb to help ease the transition to maintenance.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Thanks all. Set myself for 1 pound a week today. I’ll do that for 5 pounds and then drop to .5. And I may go past my current goal just to see if I can. I’ll still be well within my healthy weight range so why not.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I lost at a pound a week and simply switched directly to maintenance when I got to goal.
    But my method doesn't suit everyone, many prefer a taper either before goal, after goal or both.
    A pound a week for an averaged sized (or bigger) male really shouldn't be a problem as it's well under the often recommended 1% per week but do think how you will allocate those extra calories.

Similar to others my initial maintenance calories were a bit suppressed and a month later I started to lose at the same calories so had to bump up a bit to compensate, a pleasant surprise to maintain at a higher than expected allowance.

Time for you to think about how you will account for exercise long term as you do have to when maintaining, the database here often isn't the best choice.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    slowly, slowly increase calories to your calculated maintenance amount, and monitor weight so that you can increase or decrease if you notice a gain or loss creeping in.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I'd slowly start eating more. I hit my goal in November of 2019 of 150lbs. Today, I'm 143.7. I've had a really hard time eating more so I can maintain my weight (right now I'm currently at a .5lb/week deficit, losing slowly, but still losing).

It's been a struggle to re-design my eating strategy to get in more calories, not less. I know it's mental and physical and it's going to take some time to work out. Luckily I'm not at the bottom of my healthy BMI.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I'm trying to creep my weight back down by only .5 lbs per week, but as my NEAT creeps up, I keep having to adjust my calories up by 100 calories/day/week. Because I'm going so slowly, I have a really good idea of what exercise calories are roughly correct for me and which ones are not. Over time, everything has averaged out or I've been able to make mental adjustments for things that are too egregiously off to fade into background noise.

Because I only have about 250-300 lbs/day more to add to my daily eating to get back to maintenance, I could just jump into maintenance cold turkey, but I'll probably creep my calories back up by 100 or 50cal/day/week as I have been all along. It might mean I lose an extra half pound or pound, but those will get lost in the rest of the numbers over time and habits will control where I settle.

*sigh* That should read CALORIES, but I'm sure y'all got what I meant. >_<
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I ate between my maintenance and my weight loss number for around a year. I wanted to have some "fudge factor" in case I made mistakes. If I was gaining, I got more diligent about weighing foods using food scales when possible.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,125 Member
    I will echo the suggestions that, with less than 20 pounds to lose, switch to a half pound a week goal and start to get used to THAT.

Another thing you can play with is figuring out what your maintenance calories will be when you get to your goal weight. If you start slowly working towards THAT number, even now, you will get to maintenance. Maybe even for now maintenance at goal minus 50-100 calories a day; not much, just a little. This sets you up for a soft landing when you get there, and you will if you want to!

I kind of do this same thing if my weight starts climbing up towards the top of my maintenance range; I change my MFP goal to "lose a half pound a week," but I don't actually change my calorie goal. I just keep at it, and I get there. My calorie goal is just a tiny bit below maintenance, and that helps, too. I eat back most or all of my active calories. I go over/under most days and mostly like to be close to goal on a weekly basis since my diet isn't as consistent as some are. I eat all kinds of things that vary from day to day. I love food.

I am curious how much you've already lost and how long it's taken. Maintenance is the long game. Slow down sooner so you don't get whiplash later!
  • Question to those maintaining a while.

Do you eventually stop feeling so cold?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,125 Member
    Question to those maintaining a while.

Some time between April and June.

Actually - sort of. I keep my house on the cooler side, so always used to and still do wear more clothes, but I'm not really colder than when I was bigger.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member

I’m so glad to hear you say this, I feel like I’ve been freezing almost every day for the last few weeks since I started a deficit to clear off some of my winter gain. I’m wrapped in blankets now and still feel freezing.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member

Not yet. It's a particular issue with my hands and feet - I have to wear much warmer gloves than previously. I've just accepted that I need to wear more layers than previously.
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member

Ditto! This should be a thread unto itself. Probably get a lot of comments!