Walking in the weather

hmhill17
hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
Thursday was torrential downpour. People actively moved to splash me as they drove down the road.
Today it started to snow when I was 2 miles from home. Luckily no accoumulation before I got home because the doofuses who splashed me on Thursday probably should have skidded off the road and hit me today.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Lol! First belly laugh of the day!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    That's not nice! Good for you for getting outdoor walks in this time of year. <3
  • Yeah, I like walking trails for that and other reasons. The snow is beautiful.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    That's snotty , if true.
    Fortunately, it's probably not. Neurologically, you go where you are looking. They looked at you and steered the car toward you without meaning to.(This is much more noticeable on a motorcycle or bicycle.) It doesn't keep you from getting wet, but I hope it makes you feel better about people.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    Thursday was torrential downpour. People actively moved to splash me as they drove down the road.
    Today it started to snow when I was 2 miles from home. Luckily no accoumulation before I got home because the doofuses who splashed me on Thursday probably should have skidded off the road and hit me today.

I'd say the odds of multiple people moving to splash you on purpose are astronomically low. I doubt anyone, and particularly multiple people were moving to intentionally splash you.
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    When I was in my 30s, I ran every day, rain, snow, hot, or cold. Now that I'm much, much older, I walk, but not when it's raining. Those days, I make myself get on the stairclimber. God, I hate that thing.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    People do mean things sometimes. I honestly don't doubt it happened just as OP said. My sister used to pick up roadside trash every spring during green up season and she said you'd be very surprised at the amount of people who'd throw more trash out their car windows right in front of the very people picking up trash on the side of the road. People can be very rude and thoughtless. :( Someone once related seeing a driver swerve right into a turtle crossing a road and crushed it. Oh yeh. People are so brutal at times.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I have seen multiple drivers do it intentionally moving closer into the puddles and heard people laugh about doing it on a number of occasions, so sadly I don't doubt OP's story.

There are also lots of drivers that are just blatantly ignorant of what they are doing too, to the point where it hasn't crossed their minds until after they've passed you.
  • lambsonfam
    lambsonfam Posts: 4 Member
    I have a treadmill, but we live out in the country and I love being outside. Yesterday I did NOT want to walk. It was windy and cold, but I did it, and was proud of myself (38 degrees with wind). So hard to make myself do it some days.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    lambsonfam wrote: »
    I have a treadmill, but we live out in the country and I love being outside. Yesterday I did NOT want to walk. It was windy and cold, but I did it, and was proud of myself (38 degrees with wind). So hard to make myself do it some days.

So true! I use my TM mostly during these months because our town is very hilly and the sidewalks are covered in snow/ice/slush. If not the TM, then I go to our local mall and do some time there. I can't wait for the weather to reach consistent over-40 temps. :/ Supposed to dip to negative numbers again by this weekend. :(
  • noelkro80
    noelkro80 Posts: 248 Member
    I live in England & the weather is terrible for about 90% of the year! Lol
    I walk 60 minutes a day though no matter the weather to & from work plus the added bonus of saving money on not having to put petrol in my car! Win win
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I've run in almost any weather. The only thing I haven't run in is freezing rain.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Sorry that happened but not surprised by it. Seen it many times, and it's happened to me too. Though I do know that quite a few people are completely unaware of what driving through a puddle of water can do to those nearby. Those are people that never walk anywhere, especially in the rain, so they have no concept.

I have found that workout DVD's and youtube workouts are great for days when the weathers inclement.
    HTH
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    noelkro80 wrote: »
    I walk 60 minutes a day though no matter the weather to & from work plus the added bonus of saving money on not having to put petrol in my car! Win win

Ah c'mon it's not that bad, at least we get nice Spring & Autumn days and a relatively good Summer (and I say that as someone from the (real) North), I live in Ireland now and Summer genuinely lasts about a week.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member

Ah c'mon it's not that bad, at least we get nice Spring & Autumn days and a relatively good Summer (and I say that as someone from the (real) North), I live in Ireland now and Summer genuinely lasts about a week.

Yes, I'm in the Home Counties so really can't complain... I did think of this thread on my run this morning, though! The road I run on (at 6 AM, so not very busy and yes that is intentional) had several flooded bits. Only one person SPED UP approaching one of these very wet sections just before I was in it (I could see them coming so paced myself accordingly), everyone else was incredibly polite to all of us runners - and I was one of close to a dozen out this morning (getting it in between the named winter storms!)

We have taken our family walks in all weathers offered here, from icy snow to ankle (or more) deep mud to that one week last summer when it was flippin hot!

But it's good to see another walking commuter, @noelkro80 ! Good on ya :smile:
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    I live in the home counties too, I am extremely wary of the drivers in my area as quite a few times I've had an extra shower (like wring me out I'll fill up the bath tub wet) while jogging or simply walking on the pavement hugging the bushes or fences to the far side as much as possible. I understand the pot holes are pretty bad and the roads can be quite narrow in places so sometimes a bit of splash will happen, however I see no need to aim to soak someone through to their skin.
  • noelkro80
    noelkro80 Posts: 248 Member

Ok ok probably a slight exaggeration on the weather it’s probably 89% bad then 😆
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!