Introduce Yourself & Frequently Asked Questions

Replies

• TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    I imagine maintenance will feel much the same as it will always be important to keep an eye on what you’re eating. I think I’d personally stick to 1700 calories every day so I could allow myself to indulge on weekends though.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,161 Member
    For me, and math geeks out there, weight loss has been an inflection point. Where the curve drops down and then swings back up, without there actually being any bottom. It's ephemeral. I can look at the day on a graph and point to it, but IRL it is like that day never existed. I had a wild fun run of losing weight. Fingers snapped, months of mindlessly (or depressively) gaining weight.
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    Hello all! I'm Michelle and I want to get myself down to 70kg. I started, AGAIN, at the start of this year at 102kg and I'm now under 95kg. I also changed my birth control as I felt it was very hard to lose weight with the implant...

I find it very hard to stick to a routine for a few reasons... I have 5 kids, 3, 4, 13, 16 & 18) and with all the kids comes a whole heap of unexpected stuff! I also go through phases and get bored easily! Plus I love food that doesn't love me! :D (well maybe it does love me as it stays around way too long!)

I'm currently using dietbet as motivation and it seems to be working! I now have the knowledge that if I eat crap it could actually cost me money! I've invested $35 into one game and have rolled over my winnings into 2 more games! I've also gone all out and added a healthy wage bet to lose 50lbs this year. I stand to lose $385! So far it really is working! My plan is to use all my winnings for new clothes! ;) maybe a pair of irregular choice shoes! o:)<3

@Sparx_81 welcome. I am also using Healthy Wage and StepBet :+1:
    Tried Dietbet before, but didn't like the fact you have to go by their rate of loss.

Tempted to do a run bet, as I'm hoping to get a spot in Dublin marathon but I can't see diet and run bet going together... I have to choose one or the other! If I'm putting in long runs I'm gonna need more food, simples,so I won't be able to maintain the current rate of loss.
  • chris_in_cal
    as I'm hoping to get a spot in Dublin marathon. . .
    If I'm putting in long runs I'm gonna need more food, simples,so I won't be able to maintain the current rate of loss.

Now we are talking. I like to use running race goals to guide my weight/health/motivation. My big overarching goal that must never be spoken aloud is that . . . wait for it . . . in 2020 I want to run a marathon quickly. The one I have picked is 14 months from now. Planning has multiple parts. Running can help me keep on my weight loss goals, and running with extra weight is more dangerous, and running with extra weight makes a person more slow.

I checked the web and Dublin is ONLY 208 days away. Could you play around a bit with run bet now and still keep on your training plan?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Hello all! I'm Michelle and I want to get myself down to 70kg. I started, AGAIN, at the start of this year at 102kg and I'm now under 95kg. I also changed my birth control as I felt it was very hard to lose weight with the implant...

I find it very hard to stick to a routine for a few reasons... I have 5 kids, 3, 4, 13, 16 & 18) and with all the kids comes a whole heap of unexpected stuff! I also go through phases and get bored easily! Plus I love food that doesn't love me! :D (well maybe it does love me as it stays around way too long!)

I'm currently using dietbet as motivation and it seems to be working! I now have the knowledge that if I eat crap it could actually cost me money! I've invested $35 into one game and have rolled over my winnings into 2 more games! I've also gone all out and added a healthy wage bet to lose 50lbs this year. I stand to lose $385! So far it really is working! My plan is to use all my winnings for new clothes! ;) maybe a pair of irregular choice shoes! o:)<3

@Sparx_81 welcome. I am also using Healthy Wage and StepBet :+1:
    Tried Dietbet before, but didn't like the fact you have to go by their rate of loss.

Tempted to do a run bet, as I'm hoping to get a spot in Dublin marathon but I can't see diet and run bet going together... I have to choose one or the other! If I'm putting in long runs I'm gonna need more food, simples,so I won't be able to maintain the current rate of loss.

That's where I struggled it was rowing race training I was doing at the same time, hunger and fueling the exercise did not work well :lol:
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    as I'm hoping to get a spot in Dublin marathon. . .
    If I'm putting in long runs I'm gonna need more food, simples,so I won't be able to maintain the current rate of loss.

Now we are talking. I like to use running race goals to guide my weight/health/motivation. My big overarching goal that must never be spoken aloud is that . . . wait for it . . . in 2020 I want to run a marathon quickly. The one I have picked is 14 months from now. Planning has multiple parts. Running can help me keep on my weight loss goals, and running with extra weight is more dangerous, and running with extra weight makes a person more slow.

I checked the web and Dublin is ONLY 208 days away. Could you play around a bit with run bet now and still keep on your training plan?

I still haven't got a place yet, but they are releasing an extra 2500 ón 1st July. So my plan is to keep doing dietbets until then and doing some basic training. Then if I get a spot the training will take priority and the dieting will have to be slower! So will look at the runbet again then!
  • amskinner87
    amskinner87 Posts: 163 Member
    So I've not gotten at all involved in the friends side of MFP, mainly because I don't know anyone in real life who is on here.

Do you fine people have 'friends' on MFP? Are there any benefits? Does anyone want to be friends with me?

Ta x
  • amskinner87
    Hmm, thought I was posting in the General Chat. Will relocate there if I can find it - seems to have disappeared!
  • wobblemcwobbleface
    wobblemcwobbleface Posts: 93 Member
    there I was wondering what MFP was....

The only person I know in real life who is on MFP is my sister but so far she has been very quiet......
  • eatingems
    eatingems Posts: 108 Member
    edited May 2019
    Hey y'all, I'm back again.
    I let myself go a little over Christmas etc. and then I broke my arm and things sort of spiraled a bit but I'm ready to pick myself up and dust myself off and get back in to the swing of things. I can't remember what my last weigh in here was so just starting fresh.

SW: 195lbs
    CW: 175.5lbs

Weighing in on Thursdays :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    eatingems wrote: »
    Hey y'all, I'm back again.
    I let myself go a little over Christmas etc. and then I broke my arm and things sort of spiraled a bit but I'm ready to pick myself up and dust myself off and get back in to the swing of things. I can't remember what my last weigh in here was so just starting fresh.

SW: 195lbs
    CW: 175.5lbs

Weighing in on Thursdays :)

@eatingems last weigh in August last year was 165.0lbs. So you're not doing too badly, you'll have it back off in no time. Welcome back!
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    I'm back, if you'll allow. I've had some health issues, surgery and time off work for recovery. Needless to say, that allowed for a terrible weight gain, but with my clothes being too snug and summer vacation around the corner, I am prepared to recommit.

Weighing in on Wednesdays
  • amskinner87
    Welcome back!
  • maryorpwood
    maryorpwood Posts: 5 Member
    Hi everyone!

I'm Mary, and my SW is 210lb. I'm hoping to lose at least 80lb at 1-2lb/week.

I had a baby over a year ago, and managed to gain over 40lbs during my pregnancy, thanks to ending up on crutches with PGP. I didn't think it would be a massive issue to lose it (I lost all my baby weight from my oldest within 8 months), but my little one has a rare health condition that causes her to wake up for feeds every 2-3 hours at night (she needs to eat regularly during the day, too, but that's less of an issue), so I'm living on a few hours of interrupted sleep a night, and end up craving carbs, sugars, and all those lovely things that are awful for your waistline!

I'll be weighing in on Wednesdays. Thanks for the support, guys! We can do this!
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 116 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group but I really need help to stay on track so I an hoping this will keep me in a routine and more accountable.

My SW is 159 and my GW is 133lbs. I did it before but it's crept back on. I've just turned 45 and my clothes don't fit as well as they did 😕 so it's time to get sorted out!

Thank you for letting me join your group ☺
  • chris_in_cal
    Thank you for letting me join your group ☺

Thanks to you @rjsimpson2002 your hope is contagious, it helps you and in a small way helps all of us here.
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    Hi all, my name is Shauna and I’m glad to learn about this group. I have a lot of weight to lose, at least 65 lbs. I’m working through the Beck Weight Loss Solutions workbook and trying to lose this weight for good. I’m going to try the slow approach to that end. I weigh myself every day in an attempted to get over my fear of the scale but will report here on Mondays. I look forward to celebrating progress ( yours and mine) with you even if it’s not always scale related.
  • chris_in_cal
    ... 65 lbs... I weigh myself every day in an attempted to get over my fear of the scale but will report here on Mondays.

Hi, great. There some magic in what you are proposing...it works 😀

I am about 50 lbs from my goal, I weigh (almost) every day, and I usually post it here on Mondays....

I'm glad you are here, let's do it!!!!

• TinaJija
    TinaJija Posts: 15 Member
    Hi everyone I am Fifi and last year was a failed year for me so hoping to reach my goal this year. I currently weigh 163 lb(74 kg) and my ideal weight for my height is 110(50kg). I have already lost 18 lb so far. Hopefully looking to gain motivation and support, last year I was dealing with emotional binging , I am in a better place emotionally but still lack the motivation to exercise cos it has been years and it’s scary to start.
  • amskinner87
    Hi @TinaJija and welcome to the group. Congratulations on losing 18lb so far, that's really great. I too struggle with bingeing and although mine is a lot better and rarer than it was I still do it and it's horrible, so I really feel for you. It's great that you're in a better place now but don't forget to be kind to yourself if you do binge again. I have lost about 60lb now without really any intentional exercise or a punishing calorie deficit so I'm firmly in the camp of exercise if you want to but don't get caught up in thinking it is essential for weight loss.

Looking forward to getting to know you over the coming months.

Alice