Breast Augmentation Surgery

I’m getting breast Augmentation surgery in two days and I won’t be able to work our for at least a month. I’m afraid I’m going to gain back everything I lost between the weight of the implant and sitting around all day. I’m also mega Nerv to get cut open.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Well...you haven't gained weight yet. Don't start pre-worrying!

You know there will be a scale increase due to the implants themselves AND due to the inflammation that is caused by surgery.

I'd say just keep logging your food and stay off the body weight scale for a month.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,970 Member
    Your surgeon, presumably, can tell you the weight of your implants, so you can adjust your thinking around that. (My pathology report included the weight of the ones I had removed.)

Beyond that, managing your eating and waiting for the healing-related inflammation to dissipate are the challenges. I hope you have some distracting activities to fill your time, so you're less tempted to use food as a self-soother, or something to do?

Having had surgery during weight loss, and having kept a moderate deficit while healing, I absolutely agree with others that it's a much better plan to maintain weight (or very close) while healing, and get good nutrition. Healing is job 1.

Several of my friends have had post-mastectomy implants. I'm thinking you're probably having saline or silicone implants, since you mention implant weight?

Are you having the two-phase process, where they surgically implant the expanders first, gradually fill them to expand the chest muscles, then do another surgery to put in the final implants? (That's the process I'm familiar with.) Generally, my friends were able to do some exercise quite soon after surgery, even if not their full set of usual stuff, so do communicate clearly with your medical team about exactly what's allowed, when. You may find the fitness degradation (or the missed-exercise grumpies, if you get those like I do :lol: ) won't be as severe as you anticipate.

Best wishes for a very successful surgery, and a speedy recovery! :flowerforyou:
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Don’t stress yourself out over it. I had my surgery two years ago in February and I was freaking out over not being able to work out.
    I had to take a month off cardio, bc increasing your heart rate can cause hematoma. I was cleared for light lower body and cardio after a month. I waited 3 months before upper body. I didn’t gain weight. Lost some strength & definition, but got it back within 3 weeks. My implants combine weigh one pound. My weight can fluctuate more than that so it’s not a big deal. Like others said, eat at maintenance. The first few days your appetite will probably be low from the meds. Good luck & enjoy!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    As long as you don't eat over maintenance you will be okay. Please follow your doctor's instructions and take the time needed to heal properly. It will make a big difference in the long run.
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    Hoping all goes perfectly!

And I'm jealous. :p
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Good luck with your surgery and don't stress out about it! Log your food. Eat at maintenance like others said. You won't gain back any substantial amount of weight in a month and even if you did, you can lose it again.