where do you like to exercise - gym, home etc and why?

I can't go to my gym right now and like exercising at home because I feel less distracted and like the privacy.

Curious about what other people prefer and for what reasons or benefits it may provide fitness-wise

Replies

• asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    I exercise at home (resistance bands, kettlebells, dumbbells, bodyweight) and do my walking outside. I've found this equipment is sufficient for my goals right now.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Outdoors when possible. I'm another who much prefers running (and also biking) outdoors to the gym.

I prefer the gym to my house just because of more equipment (I don't have a barbell set or a treadmill), and I occasionally like certain kinds of classes (spinning, pilates). I've never enjoyed working out to a video, but my sister loves that.

I also like the gym because I chose my gym to be really close to my office and it gives me the opportunity to go before I go home or at lunchtime (and my lunchtime is flexible so I can make it off primetime if I don't have calls or meetings that interfere).
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited February 2020
    Home
    Because I have two SN kids so can't get to the gym
    I drop my son to school at 12, rush home, exercise for an hour and a half, shower and rush back for him 😂
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    I would rather workout at home. I like the privacy and have the space to do it. When the weather is nice I also enjoy hiking and kayaking. Years ago I had a gym membership but didn't use it much. It was not a convenient location (I live out in the middle of nowhere so there aren't not many places in general that are convenient for me), and I preferred to have more privacy and quiet than a gym could offer.
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Too many distractions at home. I have to be in a gym or on a trail outside!
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    I exercise primarily at the gym or specialized studios for the activity I'm doing. I have a hard time with motivation and space trying to workout at home. Being in a tiny apartment means that even trying to do a simple yoga session at home involves moving furniture around.

I actually have 2 gyms I'm a member of (one that is really posh, but is only local, and another membership to 24Hour so I can still get to a gym when I'm traveling), and a membership a studio where I can take unlimited classes, and I do drop-in classes at a couple other studios.

That said, if cost is a concern, my method is not ideal at all. Thankfully my most expensive gym membership is paid for by my employer ($250/month), but I still spend about $250/month myself on everything else. I live in a major city, though, so everything is more expensive than most other places in the country.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    My primary exercise is either road riding or mountain biking...so outside is my preference. In the winter it is too dark at the times I can ride during the week and often colder than I would prefer so I either go to spin class at the gym or ride on my indoor trainer...I prefer the spin class because I get a better overall workout and riding stationary on a bike trainer is boring as all hell.

For lifting, definitely the gym. I have nowhere to put a power rack, platform, and bench, plus the gym has all kinds of other awesome equipment for weight lifting. I started working out at a new gym in January and it also has a pool I can lap swim, spin classes and a whole host of other studio classes, saunas, hot tub, and hydro-massage therapy beds. Sometimes I go on my rest day just to get some sauna time and a massage. The smoothie bar is pretty good too.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    My first choice is always walk/run outside. We have plenty of sidewalks and a park with paved walkways - I can build routes of any length and not have to cross many busy streets if I so choose.

I don't care for the gym (because I don't love being around other people) but I will use it for the indoor track when the weather isn't great. Occasionally I will do the elliptical, too, but I don't do any classes or anything.
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    My home gym (set of dumbells, ancient Alpha One machine, stairclimber that I only use when the weather is nasty) because I can use it how and when I like, and I can crank up the music. Walking outdoors in the evening.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited February 2020
    I work out at home first thing. I don't have to worry about getting dressed or packed up, weather, nothing. I do use the weight room at work and run outside when the weather is nice.
    I also don't have money for a gym membership. Plus, we only have one in town, so it gets crowded.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Home, very convenient and zero distractions.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,309 Member
    Home... Not many gym near my house.. plus it's convenient.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Workout at home- use youtube videos- less distractions and convenient- plus I am very private don't like to feel like others are watching me- which they probably are NOt-lol
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I prefer to workout at home as I never have to wait for weights, machines etc, don't have to travel, and don't need to arrange care for my kids. Also I can pull up like a total slob (in pjs sometimes, cuz who cares) and don't feel self conscious.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2020
    The gym. It has all the equipment I need. And variety
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,967 Member
    Top choice: River (I row).

But variety is good, so the Y for spin class (occasionally pool swim), trails for cycling, home for rowing machine/weights/stretching /yoga, road or trail (or mall in truly terrible weather) for occasional intentional walk.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Walk or bike outside is my preference when weather permits, but the gym for an all-around workout 2-3 times a week.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I like to exercise however and wherever my mood takes me. I realised long ago that I can't force myself to do a workout if I won't enjoy it and have given up trying.

My solution is to have a number of activities that I can do, running, cycling, swimming, lifting, hiking, calisthenic etc. Chances are I'll be in the mood to do at least one of them and that's what I'll do. The aim is to stay active and any/all of those activities achieves that goal.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Gym.
    Too many kids and distractions at home.
    My gym has a nice weight room with lots of goodies, for a really low yearly price, so it’s a no brainer for me.