When did you realize you were an adult?

mommabear4315
mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
I know people say when you turn 18 you’re an adult. I call BS on that. Some people mature sooner, some later, some are forced to become adults at a super young age and some are over 40,50,60 and still act as adolescents. Just out of curiosity when did you say to yourself, holy crap I’m adulting.

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    .... wait, I'm an adult? *kitten*. No wonder life started sucking!
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    I’m still not sure I always believe I am.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited February 2020
    When I didn't tolerate, being treated unfairly by adults & thus began, parenting myself.

While I don't remember what order, my favorite was when I was 8 years old. I went to a friend's house after being told that I wasn't allowed to {I was the 1 whom did the wrong, by doing that because my Mother's valid reason was that I'd have to walk a few steps along a busy road, while dark & without a sidewalk or shoulder}. She gave me 2 weeks punishment, I knew right away it was unfair but didn't know what'd be fair, so without agreeing or protesting, I sat upon my bed to think of a fair punishment. I decided that a day for each year old that I was, was fair. I went & told her "I'll give you 8 days." & why. She, didn't protest & agreed.

I just realized that I did've an actual friend & not just an associate after all {as I mistakenly proclaimed, within another thread}, I guess this' why it's my favorite.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    I was in uni until age 24 which allows you to prolong the illusion of not being an adult.

I don't think it hit me until 26 when I bought my first house, by myself. Something about mortgaging the next 20 years of my life and walking out of my lawyer's office with one single key in my hand did it.
  • useable12
    useable12 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2020
    At 24. I started earning, doing things on my own, and started realizing my responsibilities.
  • jtce02
    jtce02 Posts: 59 Member
    When I started paying all my own bills. That’s the literal definition of being an adult imho
  • noelkro80
    noelkro80 Posts: 248 Member
    When I found out was going to become a father at 17 years old! Overnight I went from being a spotty teenager to an adult! Lol
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    I have yet to become a adult. Idk I think I spent my childhood being a very small adult and raising my siblings that when I was actually legal age I decided I didn’t want anything to do with responsibility and here we are in the sad state of today and now.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    edited February 2020
    When I graduated college and got my first "big girl job" at 21. Came with a salary and benefits. My parents told me congrats and my dad let me know I'm off his company health insurance plan at the end of the month. Thanks dad :D