Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Sous Vide

Replies

• just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 8,456Member Member Posts: 8,456Member Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Tried a roast topside of beef (American round, I believe). Was a little confused by online recipes with temperatures ranging from 52C to 59C and times for 2.5h to 24h. Tried 6 hours at 52C. The meat looked great but the texture was a bit stringy and sandy (like liver or chemically tenderized meat). I suspect temperature was too low to break down collagen. Will try higher temperature and shorter cooking time, I guess.

If you use time/temperature tables you trust please let me know.

Get the Annova app and follow their recipes.
    IMHO, it was not your temperature but the time. For a roast like this you really have to go over night. The longer the better. Temperature you set, gets you to the cook level you want ie. 135F for medium rare.
  • John772016John772016 Posts: 59Member Member Posts: 59Member Member
    Read this thread on Sunday, went for a long walk, ended up in store & bought an immersion sous vide.......you guys are a bad (good) influence. 👍
  • Soon2BSuperSoon2BSuper Posts: 751Member Member Posts: 751Member Member
    Combine the Sous Vide with your BBQ and you'll have THE BEST steak you've ever made in your life!
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/sous-vide-que-ribeye-steak-recipe

Combine the Sous Vide with your BBQ and you'll have THE BEST steak you've ever made in your life!
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/sous-vide-que-ribeye-steak-recipe

Nope not BBQ. A very very hot skillet. Either cast iron or carbon. Something that will allow you to do a VERY hot quick sear.
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,701Member Member Posts: 4,701Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Nope not BBQ. A very very hot skillet. Either cast iron or carbon. Something that will allow you to do a VERY hot quick sear.

What temperature do you like to take the pan to on a infrared laser thermometer to get a good sear? I get my non stick stone lined pans to 205C regularly, though the manufacturer says you can take them to 260C. Might need to get a cast iron one if I want to go higher. My carbon steel wok is too big and cumbersome for searing sous vide meats.

What temperature do you like to take the pan to on a infrared laser thermometer to get a good sear? I get my non stick stone lined pans to 205C regularly, though the manufacturer says you can take them to 260C. Might need to get a cast iron one if I want to go higher. My carbon steel wok is too big and cumbersome for searing sous vide meats.

I have not checked the temp to be honest, but its kitchen exhaust fan full on and there is smoke :) Quick I mean 10 second per side to get you crust. Otherwise you will overcook whatever you just made.

Try 1.5" beef tenderloin steak in the sous vide at 132F for 1-3 hours and then pat dry, salt and pepper, and the quick sear. You will not need a knife. Like butter and perfect done top to bottom.

I have not checked the temp to be honest, but its kitchen exhaust fan full on and there is smoke :) Quick I mean 10 second per side to get you crust. Otherwise you will overcook whatever you just made.

Try 1.5" beef tenderloin steak in the sous vide at 132F for 1-3 hours and then pat dry, salt and pepper, and the quick sear. You will not need a knife. Like butter and perfect done top to bottom.

My carbon steel wok starts smoking badly at 240C measured with the infrared thermometer, which is the smoking point of the oils I used to season it.
    Okay.

Just got a Lodge cast iron frying pan because I was worried I couldn't get any of my pans to a high enough temperature to sear off sous vide steak. The Lodge is pre-seasoned so you can use it straight out of the box. They season with refined soy oil and I could get the surface temperature to 250C according to the infra red thermometer without smoking. Clearly I need to start seasoning cast iron and carbon pans in avocado oil which smokes at 270C.
    Okay.

Just got a Lodge cast iron frying pan because I was worried I couldn't get any of my pans to a high enough temperature to sear off sous vide steak. The Lodge is pre-seasoned so you can use it straight out of the box. They season with refined soy oil and I could get the surface temperature to 250C according to the infra red thermometer without smoking. Clearly I need to start seasoning cast iron and carbon pans in avocado oil which smokes at 270C.

With my Lodge, I strip whatever the factory applied and re-seasoned it with avocado oil. No issues.
    Okay.

With my Lodge, I strip whatever the factory applied and re-seasoned it with avocado oil. No issues.

Do you strip off old seasoning on cast iron the way you season a new carbon wok by burning off the factory coating of machine oil? I ask because I have clearly done my wok a disservice as I am limited at what temperature I can heat it to by seasoning with an oil that smokes at 240C.
    So I tried skin on boneless chicken breasts tonight as we need to hunt a bit to find thick steaks where I am. I followed the recommendations of Serious Eats. Definitely the best way to cook whole chicken breasts. Though following the Serious Eats guidelines I cooked at 63C, and next time will definitely take the @DX2JX2 recommendation to cook at 60C for a less traditional texture.

Nonetheless whole chicken breasts are not my favourite way to deal with chicken breast. I still prefer a Chinese stir fry following a gong bao chicken recipe, where the sliced chicken has been dry brined and coated in cornstarch a few hours prior to cooking. If you velvet the chicken (coat in cornstarch) you need to use a really good non stick pan as otherwise scraping the baked on starch will drive you mad.

Next sous vide experiments will be steak if I can find some thick ones and beef rendang braised in a bag as we struggle to keep it at the right temperature when we cook this in other people's ovens.
    Okay.

Do you strip off old seasoning on cast iron the way you season a new carbon wok by burning off the factory coating of machine oil? I ask because I have clearly done my wok a disservice as I am limited at what temperature I can heat it to by seasoning with an oil that smokes at 240C.

Yeap exactly. Just follow any of the online recommendations.
    Second attempt with sous vide cooking.
    ph4tfzqez44c.jpeg
  • Soon2BSuperSoon2BSuper Posts: 751Member Member Posts: 751Member Member

My BBQ does the perfect reverse sear everytime....just saying. ;)

My BBQ does the perfect reverse sear everytime....just saying. ;)

So does mine BUT... not everyone has a balcony /bbq, much easier to pre-heat a pan, at -30C I am not walking outside lol
    So I tried skin on boneless chicken breasts tonight as we need to hunt a bit to find thick steaks where I am. I followed the recommendations of Serious Eats. Definitely the best way to cook whole chicken breasts. Though following the Serious Eats guidelines I cooked at 63C, and next time will definitely take the @DX2JX2 recommendation to cook at 60C for a less traditional texture.

Nonetheless whole chicken breasts are not my favourite way to deal with chicken breast. I still prefer a Chinese stir fry following a gong bao chicken recipe, where the sliced chicken has been dry brined and coated in cornstarch a few hours prior to cooking. If you velvet the chicken (coat in cornstarch) you need to use a really good non stick pan as otherwise scraping the baked on starch will drive you mad.

Next sous vide experiments will be steak if I can find some thick ones and beef rendang braised in a bag as we struggle to keep it at the right temperature when we cook this in other people's ovens.

Maybe a nice thick pork chop will be easier to find? You can always buy a roast and cut it up yourself.
    Thanks for all the advice @just_Tomek.

Found a 1 inch rump steak which I dry brined, then sous vide at 55.5C for 1.5 hours and reversed seared on a 240C pan. I probably won't go back to conventional steak cooking unless really pressed for time. Hubby actually doesn't care for steak, but he liked it from the sous vide.

Another convenient thing about cooking steak sous vide. Normally I eat my steaks blue and the hubby likes his medium to medium well (see, he really doesn't like steak). Sous vide, we were both happy with medium rare.
    Thanks for all the advice @just_Tomek.

Found a 1 inch rump steak which I dry brined, then sous vide at 55.5C for 1.5 hours and reversed seared on a 240C pan. I probably won't go back to conventional steak cooking unless really pressed for time. Hubby actually doesn't care for steak, but he liked it from the sous vide.

Another convenient thing about cooking steak sous vide. Normally I eat my steaks blue and the hubby likes his medium to medium well (see, he really doesn't like steak). Sous vide, we were both happy with medium rare.

Anytime. Its really another level of cooking.

Another thing to try, 63 deg C egg :) I seen this done on cooking shows before and had no idea how they do it. Now I know :)
    The next sous vide experiment I want to try is beef rendang, which is my hubby's speciality. Our typical gift for new parents is an afternoon of batch cooking to fill up their freezer with meals. We get a lot of requests for beef rendang, which we know how to cook in our own oven but struggle in someone else's. If our oven, if the thermostat is set to 130C the braising liquid inside the lidded casserole is 83C and holding that temperature for 3 hours results in perfect rendang.

To do this sous vide, my instinct says sear the beef, then ziplock it with the curry paste and coconut milk and sous vide at 83C for three hours. However, when I google sous vide curry recipes the consensus seems to be lower temperature and much longer.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-curry-lamb-shoulder-steak

Any recommendations welcome.
    Beef rendang was still tough after 3 hours at 83C, so ended up pan frying some fish for dinner. Let the rendang go another 20 hours at 65C and it was okay but not super soft. Next time will just try lower temperature overnight.

The good news is the stringy leftovers from my first sous vide attempt of a topside roast was rescued by another 10 hours in the water bath.