Cardio/ muscle building

Anyone know a solid cardio-muscle building exercises? Straight running, even HIIT cardio after weight lifting doesnt work. My focus im going for is abs/core. Specific reps/sets recommended please.

Replies

• RobAS355
    RobAS355 Posts: 20 Member
    To add to psuLemons response, get your macro ration figures out too if you want to make lean gains. But 100% progressive overloads focusing on compound exercise.

Look up muscle for life fitness podcast. Has a podcast on every question you can think of I garentee it. And the podcaster has a book. I read it, it has completely changed how I train and I have made gains ever since. A very good tool for getting your head wrapped around training.

Good luck
  • jack1336
    jack1336 Posts: 38 Member
    I’m actually trying to loose fat. It’s not a lot of fat, but it’s still there. I’m trying to work on core muscles and abs.
    From the responses, while I appreciate it I don’t think I made it clear with my goal. I’ve been doing rope exercises.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Core: hanging leg raises, planks, bird dogs, paloff presses... your core should be stable (not swinging and swaying) when performing these exercises.
  • daniworks
    daniworks Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2020
    I tried CrossFit and see if I could produce this kind of result since it includes a lot of cardio and lifting. Sadly it didn't work for me. I need to stick to weight lifting or resistance training alone.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    daniworks wrote: »
    I tried CrossFit and see if I could produce this kind of result since it includes a lot of cardio and lifting. Sadly it didn't work for me. I need to stick to weight lifting or resistance training alone.

I wonder if anyone else tried this
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2020
    You can train abs all you want. If your goal is to have a six pack, that's done with diet. Nothing else.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    rileyes wrote: »
    Core: hanging leg raises, planks, bird dogs, paloff presses... your core should be stable (not swinging and swaying) when performing these exercises.

Anyone want to correct me if what I wrote was wrong? Like the person who disagreed? The OP said he was working on core muscles. I offered a couple exercises for core. Losing the fat was already made clear.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member

Anyone want to correct me if what I wrote was wrong? Like the person who disagreed? The OP said he was working on core muscles. I offered a couple exercises for core. Losing the fat was already made clear.

Your answer makes sense to me
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member

Some one disagreed with my post also. While they may disagree, the OP said he has fat to lose. Your not going to do that thru exercise. That is done with diet. So, I reiterate, you can train abs all you want, if your diet isn't on point, you will not get the six pack you desire.

I couldn’t tell you the number of times people came into the gym and ask the very same question. Sad part is, the vast majority don't clean up their diet and just pound away in the gym for a week or 2 or 3, and give up because they aren't seeing the results they want
  • jack1336
    edited February 2020
    My main thong is to gain muscle. So I do a calorie surplus. However I want to be able to loose fat, I have bits and pieces of it (so to speak) on the sides (lovehandles) and i THINK in my chest (though I don’t know if that’s possible and I’m just over analyzing it). I work out 5 times a week (PHAT program).
    Though I feel like I’m bulking very slowly. Am I missing something? Is it Cardio? There are plenty of days where i seem skinny fat.

PS
    Thanks for the core workouts rileyes! And yes I know six pack comes with all diet.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you are eating in a surplus then you are gaining weight, a mix of muscle and some fat and most people lose their ab definition. After the gaining cycle they cut down to reveal the muscle.

Maybe you are trying to recomp? Eat at maintenance to gain muscle and lose fat ?

What are your stats?
  • jack1336 wrote: »
    My main thong is to gain muscle. So I do a calorie surplus. However I want to be able to loose fat, I have bits and pieces of it (so to speak) on the sides (lovehandles) and i THINK in my chest (though I don’t know if that’s possible and I’m just over analyzing it). I work out 5 times a week (PHAT program).
    Though I feel like I’m bulking very slowly. Am I missing something? Is it Cardio? There are plenty of days where i seem skinny fat.

PS
    Thanks for the core workouts rileyes! And yes I know six pack comes with all diet.

If you are in a surplus then you are gonna gain fat and muscle. If you want to lose the love handles then a calorie surplus won’t achieve that.

You need to decide what your priorities are.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    jack1336 wrote: »

PS

You don't lose fat in a calorie surplus...literally impossible. You will gain both muscle and fat in a calorie surplus which is why bodybuilders do bulk and cut cycles. They bulk to put on muscle mass, but they also put on fat...so they cut to lose fat and make that muscle mass visible and defined.
  • jack1336
    So in order to get defined muscles I need to cut.

My calorie goal is 3,000+ daily. Should I do less than that?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    So in order to get defined muscles I need to cut.

My calorie goal is 3,000+ daily. Should I do less than that?

If you have fat to lose, you want to be in a deficit. If you are not very trained, than you can probably add some muscle too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    Khartman6 wrote: »

Some one disagreed with my post also. While they may disagree, the OP said he has fat to lose. Your not going to do that thru exercise. That is done with diet. So, I reiterate, you can train abs all you want, if your diet isn't on point, you will not get the six pack you desire.

I couldn’t tell you the number of times people came into the gym and ask the very same question. Sad part is, the vast majority don't clean up their diet and just pound away in the gym for a week or 2 or 3, and give up because they aren't seeing the results they want

I didn't hit the disagree button but i don't agree with your black and white answer. You can lose all the fat in the world, if you haven't developed a base of muscle, you won't get abs. Its not uncommon to see underweight people who don't have abs. Its a combination of developed ab muscles and low body fat.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

PS

If you have love handles you're probably at a BF% where bulking isn't appropriate. Most sources will say not to bulk if one is over 15% BF. With love handles you most likely are over 15%.