Making Exercise Fun

merph518
merph518 Posts: 702 Member
edited February 2020 in Social Groups
What do you do to make exercise fun / more tolerable?

For me, my favorite way to get some activity in is playing games in Virtual Reality. I've been into video games since I was a kid and became somewhat of an early adopter of this new technology, having had headsets for a couple years now. One of my favorite games is Beat Saber, where you slice blocks with light sabers in various directions to the beat of music. It basically ends up with having you dancing around your living room.

For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0S8Jj3hK5Q
(someone playing Michael Jackson's Thriller in Beat Saber).

Levels vary from easy to super hard (expert+, they call it). I'm currently working my way back up to the expert+ level, I'm a bit rusty after having paused playing for a couple months due to a defective headset that I had to return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHksBtpWnXo

I also enjoy running outdoors. I listen to music and enjoy being outside -- I find the experience to be pretty zen.

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    this is a real battle for me, because I have yet to find something that I consider "fun". I detest regular, classic exercise. I've tried going to a gym, I've tried exercise videos, I've tried using the Wii, I've tried in home equipment like a treadmill and an elliptical, and all of them feel like a session of self torture. I even struggle to get myself to go on walks (not that there's a good place to walk where I live, anyway). I don't enjoy team sports except softball, but there are no adult leagues in the area, and if I could find one, they'd have to be the bad news bears type and not care all that much about winning, because I'm not any good at it (didn't have any opportunity to play in highschool or college, so I just know the basics).

My activity comes from housework, yard work, etc. I do enjoy hiking, but that's not something I can do on a daily basis or even a weekly basis as Saturdays are the only day a week I'd have to go and that's also the only day of the week I have for chores and other things that need done around the house. besides which, its not exactly a good thing to be doing alone, anyway.

I've thought about taking a martial arts class, but 1) its expensive and 2) I'm so dumpy and out of shape, I doubt I'd even be a good candidate.

When I'm on the phone, I pace the house, so I get steps in there, but I don't have people to call on a daily basis to get those steps in lol

I'd love to take horseback riding lessons, but at 270 lbs, I'm too heavy to even consider it.

It's a battle with willpower and one that I lose. After spending all day in my office, I'm usually mentally exhausted when i get home, and I have enough trouble powering my way through sticking to my deficit; trying to force myself into an activity that I despise is beyond my abilities at the moment. (though I did force my way through an elliptical session yesterday).
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    this is a real battle for me, because I have yet to find something that I consider "fun". I detest regular, classic exercise. I've tried going to a gym, I've tried exercise videos, I've tried using the Wii, I've tried in home equipment like a treadmill and an elliptical, and all of them feel like a session of self torture. I even struggle to get myself to go on walks (not that there's a good place to walk where I live, anyway). I don't enjoy team sports except softball, but there are no adult leagues in the area, and if I could find one, they'd have to be the bad news bears type and not care all that much about winning, because I'm not any good at it (didn't have any opportunity to play in highschool or college, so I just know the basics).

My activity comes from housework, yard work, etc. I do enjoy hiking, but that's not something I can do on a daily basis or even a weekly basis as Saturdays are the only day a week I'd have to go and that's also the only day of the week I have for chores and other things that need done around the house. besides which, its not exactly a good thing to be doing alone, anyway.

I've thought about taking a martial arts class, but 1) its expensive and 2) I'm so dumpy and out of shape, I doubt I'd even be a good candidate.

When I'm on the phone, I pace the house, so I get steps in there, but I don't have people to call on a daily basis to get those steps in lol

I'd love to take horseback riding lessons, but at 270 lbs, I'm too heavy to even consider it.

It's a battle with willpower and one that I lose. After spending all day in my office, I'm usually mentally exhausted when i get home, and I have enough trouble powering my way through sticking to my deficit; trying to force myself into an activity that I despise is beyond my abilities at the moment. (though I did force my way through an elliptical session yesterday).

Sometimes it takes ages to find the right fit, just keep trying different stuff.

I don't mind doing at home workouts, I wouldn't say I enjoy them but I like the results I get from them and the fact that it doesn't cost anything.

I accidentally fell into rowing 2 years ago (despite being scared of water) and absolutely love it now.

On the energy side of things, I will say that when I have a moderate calorie deficit (around 1lb per week) and a regular workout plan, whether it be indoor actual workouts or running/hiking/rowing, I feel much more energetic than I do when I don't.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Here is what I have found makes exercise no fun:

1) Being in too steep of a deficit. I like to walk outside. I look forward to doing it. Over the last 5 weeks as I have been trying to figure out my new energy needs part of that time I was in too steep of a deficit. At those times I HATED walking.

2) Time seems to drag on home cardio equipment. Music doesn't work for me because it doesn't take me away from the experience enough. TV is better but not if it is a program I have seen before or something with commercials that I cannot easily bypass. Netflix is my answer right now. I am way behind on a lot of shows.

3) I do not do as well if I have to face it all day. Discipline wanes as I go through my day. I am not a morning person so you would think that would be the worst time for me to exercise. I have found it to be the opposite. Doing something physical while my mental self is still groggy somehow makes it better. Getting my minimum requirement done early means I can engage in activities I enjoy more later with no pressure involved... more activity/exercise is gravy.

I kind of wonder if the best way to engage in new exercise is to do it at or near maintenance calories. If a person is not comfortable with suspending all progress drop the deficit to 250 for a couple of weeks. This way you are reducing the risk of building a negative association. If you build a positive association (as much as possible) the hope is you will need less motivation/willpower/discipline to keep doing it when you resume your weight loss at full speed.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Pickle ball. It’s loads of fun. For awhile I was able to play three times per week. I gave up cardio workouts.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I love walking. I've always been a team sports player but my knees have given up so I can't play hockey any more, or softball. I've started squash recently and that's fun...I have a tournament this weekend but my progress already is affected by my knees. Walking is fab. It's my alone time and my outside time. I'm surrounded by people all day so I love solitary walks. I have a route which takes me around a lake which I enjoy. I've just started swimming and I'm enjoying the novelty but it's boring. I'll keep going though because it doesn't hurt my knees and it's a good change. I need variety because I'm easily bored.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I don’t know about exercise ever being fun for me but I do like my new Fitbit telling me to get up and walk 250 steps!...I am sure the novelty of this will soon wear off!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I don’t know about exercise ever being fun for me but I do like my new Fitbit telling me to get up and walk 250 steps!...I am sure the novelty of this will soon wear off!

What are you doing typing?!? Get up and walk 250 steps!!

It may not wear off. I think it depends on how much you allow yourself to be gamified. I was resistant to my apple watch at first but now I try to enjoy the experience and it definitely helps me.
  • conniewilkins56
    NovusDies wrote: »

What are you doing typing?!? Get up and walk 250 steps!!

It may not wear off. I think it depends on how much you allow yourself to be gamified. I was resistant to my apple watch at first but now I try to enjoy the experience and it definitely helps me.

Haha...you sound like my husband!....John bought our daughter, grand daughter and me Versa Fitbits for Valentines Day!...

Now this is the “ usual at our house deal”.....One color was out of stock until March 30 so I called to change the order to a color in stock...Tues. we got two in the mail...yesterday we got two more and one is the color that was out of stock...we also got a notice that the “ other” one is being shipped sooner than March 30....so now I think we have Fitbit #5 on the way!...I am not going to send them back until I see how many we get lol...

Happy Valentine’s Day!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited February 2020
    Now this is the “ usual at our house deal”.....One color was out of stock until March 30 so I called to change the order to a color in stock...Tues. we got two in the mail...yesterday we got two more and one is the color that was out of stock...we also got a notice that the “ other” one is being shipped sooner than March 30....so now I think we have Fitbit #5 on the way!...I am not going to send them back until I see how many we get lol...

Before you know it, Connie will be hawking them.

nwzrnzyvie28.png

• jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    So, I have now reached the point where I really need to up my activity. I have 110ish left to lose & my sedentary calorie "goal" is now calculated by MFP to be 1240. I'm thinking at 10 more lbs, I'll be at the minimum. I think that might venture into the "not sustainable" place for me. I'd have to change the way I eat (start restricting things instead of just eating less of the same things) & I'm just not ready to do that just yet.

So... I've decided it's time to take those great suggestions in the "how to improve your NEAT" threads & put them to good use. I knew this was coming, but it's still surprising to me with so much left to lose. I do have a Fitbit & have it linked, so the days I am more active, I do eat back a lot of those calories. I just need to move my base level up a bit. It is doable, I will just need to be intentional about it for a little while.

I've also really been wanting to add in some planned exercise (though this is for fitness reasons, not necessarily calories). My firm has brought in a wellness company to teach a different fitness class once a week during tax season. 2 weeks ago it was power flow yoga, last week was a HIIT class, this week is restorative yoga & next week is Zumba, then they start over for one more cycle. So, I just need to figure out a schedule to get at least 30 minutes in a few more days a week & actually do it. I do want to join a gym at some point for the weight training, but I'm afraid I won't utilize it enough until tax season is over. So until then, I'm just going to try to do some cardio & body weight and/or resistance band work.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    @bmeadows380

Kudos. Thank you for the post. Very inspiring.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    good news is that I'm not nearly as sore as I figured I'd be!
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    Proud of you, bmeadows380! Hope this will be a great, new hobby.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Exercise is not really my thing either. But I try to get in a long walk daily. Sometimes (work days) I break it into two walks. I listen to books on Audible with my iPhone. I live in Canada so it can be brutally cold but I manage to get out most days. I agree though that exercise needs to be fun. Otherwise you won't stick with it.
  • conniewilkins56
    I don’t know if exercise will ever be fun for me but I am enjoying my new Versa Fitbit reminding me to get 250 steps a hour...I stop whatever I am doing and walk until I get my steps in...I do enjoy water aerobics and swimming so I can’t wait to get in the pool very soon!....no excuses for not swimming this winter but I haven’t been exercising much...concentrating so much on my meals and calories...I know I really need to exercise...
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,305 Member
    Ah, remember February, before the world imploded? Good times.

It's interesting to read that @bmeadows380 didn't have an activity she liked, since I'm pretty sure she's one of the most active people here. :D

I'm never sure if I truly like the actual workouts, or if it's just that I love how I feel afterward. Certainly some workouts are more fun than others, but I don't think "fun" motivates me. I am motivated in a classroom setting, both by the instructors and others in the class. I'm motivated by seeing how I've improved over the last couple of years, and seeing where I want to be, because I have vast room for improvement. I don't think I need it to be fun to keep going; I thrive on routine, and I'm happy to keep doing the same classes over and over and over.