Women 200lb+, Let's Stay Fired Up This February!!!

Replies

• lbostic89
    lbostic89 Posts: 34 Member
    @theleadmare we aren't going through a move right now, but softball season starts soon for my girl;; so our plan for the upcoming season is pre-packing grab and go snacks, I plan on making these weekly so they will be ready to go; I'm portioning things like low sodium pretzels, small servings of cheese cubes, carrots, and I always keep some fruit on hand for the girls for their sugar fix. I am also going to freeze some already cooked portioned meals so they can be microwaved, if needed, or warmed stove-top for a quick, small meal. I don't know if those options will help, but maybe they will. <3
  • aliciap0116
    aliciap0116 Posts: 231 Member
    @theleadmare I'm not sure how far you are moving, but you are super organized! So to the extent you can fit it in your freezer, pre-make and freeze a week's worth of meals so you are covered during the heat of packing, moving, and unpacking. And I love @lbostic89's suggestions about the healthy snacks.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    Well, I have a challenge in my future. We're gonna move house.

I am more worried about my eating habits and pattern over the time of the move itself. What does everyone recommend? Set that weekend on maintenance til I get my kitchen moved and restocked? (I do most of my own cooking.)
    Have found somewhere on the side of town we're moving to to board our two cats, and am doing things like packing up my sewing room (I'm not making costumes til I've dropped the weight, so I'm not sewing right now) and packing the Christmas cookie cutters and such, until the timeline narrows a bit.

I prefer to identify potential problems and work to handle them before they reach critical stress and fail. (Yes, I should have been an engineer.)

I love @aliciap0116 's suggestion about freezer meals! And I'd take it one step further- maybe make them crock pot friendly, so you can move your crock pot as one of the last things you move, and then you have your method of cooking all unpacked without having to unpack pots and pans?
  • We're moving from one side of a large city to the other; this puts us midway between his parents and my family, and closer to the area where jobs in his industry tend to be concentrated.

These are all good ideas. I do a lot of pre-prep using my freezer, anyway. Right now I'm working on drawing down the big upright freezer's contents. That way I have less to find cooler space for. (grin)

Crock pot is a problem because a lot of stews and soups are off our menu due to food issues we have. But I think I can come up with some good stuff.
  • speyerj wrote: »
    This little pearl of wisdom showed up in my inbox today:

https://vitalsmarts.com/crucialskills/2020/02/how-to-turn-a-resolution-into-a-habit/

This is the upshot of the blog post:
    "A major misconception around habits is that willpower is the source of sustained change. It is easy to see others who have healthy, effective, rock-solid habits and assume they have unnatural reserves of self-discipline. But research has shown that willpower is like a muscle; it gets tired when exerted for extended periods of time. So, building new habits is less about grit and more about strategy."

At least to me, it feels like I use willpower but I use it in little short bursts here and there all day long. Of course, I try to make sure I don't need willpower with things like cooking well, but just enough for the three of us, having the food ready when the hunger hits, and having single-serving chip bags to go with sandwiches. The little bursts aren't long enough to burn much of it off. Just the occasional, "I could snack now." which is easily dealt with with a, "Nah, let's go do something." or "Oh, well, time to get off the couch and go fix a meal." and so I don't feel I'm ever really having to flex it. Dealing with stubborn toddlers? THAT's a willpower situation. This, comparatively...eh, most of the time. Which is why it works so well for me.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    @speyerj I love that! It's great to really think about what the brain sees as the "reward" of one thing or another. Like, for instance: whenever everyone would leave me alone in the house, I would go straight for the pantry or fridge. It's a habit I've had since childhood, blah blah childhood. Anyway! The cue is, of course, people leaving, and the reward was something I wanted to eat all by myself, without people seeing me and judging me for eating it, like more cookies or the rest of a bag of chips.

A fortunate side effect of MFP and my open diary is- nothing is secret anymore! :lol: I do have a section of the food diary labeled "Stuff I ate on the down low" or something like that where I would put the "secret" eating. I try to keep that section empty as much as possible.

@MuttiNM Your spirit is so inspiring! I love how you've constructed a whole system for yourself. I'm crossing my fingers that depression is not on its way back. But life is life, and you've got a great way of handling things if they don't go to plan. You're awesome, keep going!

@theleadmare I like the redirection strategy a lot. I use it myself, as there's always laundry or dishes to do in my house, and when there's not, I want to be sitting on my butt on the couch watching or listening to something, not in the kitchen looking for snacks, :lol:
  • vegasgirl0825
    vegasgirl0825 Posts: 43 Member
    @CupcakeCrusoe - How do you log sushi? I mean, when it's not something like a California roll, something that a local restaurant has "made up"? Just wondering because I've been craving a roll from a local sushi place but have been holding off because I'm not sure how to log it.

• Well, I have a challenge in my future. We're gonna move house.

I am more worried about my eating habits and pattern over the time of the move itself. What does everyone recommend? Set that weekend on maintenance til I get my kitchen moved and restocked? (I do most of my own cooking.)
    Have found somewhere on the side of town we're moving to to board our two cats, and am doing things like packing up my sewing room (I'm not making costumes til I've dropped the weight, so I'm not sewing right now) and packing the Christmas cookie cutters and such, until the timeline narrows a bit.

I prefer to identify potential problems and work to handle them before they reach critical stress and fail. (Yes, I should have been an engineer.)

I just experienced this myself! We moved apartments earlier this month (I've missed a lot on this thread because it was so hectic) and it was a ton of work. We moved ourselves, so the calorie burn was fantastic and one day I think I hit 15k steps which is insane. However, I certainly did not make the best food choices. I would say the biggest mistake I made was waiting too long to plan for food. You definitely are planning way better than I did! We ate lunch at around 12:30 both days we were moving and I was able to make good choices and choose healthy(ish) places like Panera for a simple sandwich or salad and an apple on the side. However, I was so determined to move quickly I didn't even think about dinner until about 8-9pm. That's almost 8 hours between meals on days when my body was working way harder than I was used to. I. Was. Starving. I let myself get to a point where I was so hangry I just did not have any inhibitions. I ate a double cheeseburger, large fries, AND a milkshake for dinner two days in a row. (trust me when I say, it's not worth it) Needless to say, I felt terrible both physically and mentally.

Please use my experience as what NOT to do. Don't neglect your body, it needs fuel to move furniture and make all of those trips carrying boxes/belongings. Plan for what to eat for your meals when you're not hungry and you will likely make better choices. Definitely taking this as a learning experience for myself.

@aliciap0116 I love the idea of freezer meals that you can warm up quickly for a healthy meal. Totally transportable for a move! Great idea!

• katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    You look great, 5'4 for that weight..you wear it well!
    Ooooh In on the first page!

5'4"
    SW: 207
    CW:205.6
    GW for this month: 203
    GW: 155

Additional goal for the month: log as many things as possible in grams for the most accuracy. Get a work food scale.

Fitness goals for the month: Run at least 30 miles and lift weights more than twice. :lol: I don't like it as much as running, but I need to get it in.

Thanks @RavenStCloud for my new favorite corner of MFP!