Overdone it!

So I have massively overdone it in my first exercise class since god knows when. I'm proud because I did everything in the class, albeit poorly but, my quads and glutes are failing me to the point I am struggling walking down stairs, up is bearable, walking on the flat also passable.
I'm pushing through, I've got more classes booked and have realised I need to stretch way more afterwards but, how do I cope in the mean time???!!!
Walking and stairs can't be avoided completely, but I also can't afford falling down stairs cos my legs give out.
Do I just need to suck it up or can anyone recommend stretches, massage, anything to help?

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    foam roller
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Keeping the muscles moving usually reduces soreness, so try doing a few bodyweight squats every 30 minutes. Avoid sitting for long periods.

Next time you come back after a break, leave the class when it's 25-50% done. :+1:
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I agree with keep moving. Once warmed up stretch very carefully. Saunas and hot tubs are also good but a hot bath would work, too.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Ditto on foam roller. It helps me so much when my quads, hamstrings, and glutes are sore.

It's also good to get into a habit of doing all these things (foam rolling, stretching, sauna, etc.) right after your workout instead of waiting until you get sore.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Hot bath usually works for me or a hot water bottle. A certain amount of soreness is to be expected if you haven't been doing the movements before. If any of it is actual pain that doesn't fade after a day or two then check you haven't strained something, otherwise I'd expect that it would fade. It's easier to keep your muscles moving that it is to lie down/sit down for ages, let them start to swell and then try to move again.
  • I find gentle walking the day after a hard session works. It’ll get better, jkeep going. When I have a break from lifting I still get crazy sore. The worse thing to do is step in bed the whole day ( which is what I would prefer to do)
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    I want to do my first spin class Sunday but I'm nervous for this reason!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member

Don’t be nervous, yes, you will probably know you’ve done it but it’s only a little muscle soreness, if you go steady and don’t go too crazy then you should be ok and each week you’ll cope a little bettter. You’ll learn the difference between ‘good pain’ such as the muscle soreness described above and ‘bad pain’ if you’ve tweeked something and need to take a short break or do something different for a day or two.

My first spin class I thought I was going to die. The second wasn’t so bad, by the third I was hooked and haven’t stopped cycling since. It’s such a great calorie burner. Enjoy!
    Ps you might want to buy some padded cycling shorts...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

What we tell people in the class I've been going to for (mumble) years: In your first class, the goal is to just keep pedaling, if you can. I'll bet you can keep pedaling for the whole class. ("Mumble" = 10+).

If the instructor says to increase resistance by X amount, and that seems completely unachievable, bump it up a teeny bit, or even not at all. Just keep pedaling.

If the instructor says to stand up and pedal, and you don't feel stable enough, don't do it. Just sit, and just keep pedaling. (Though if you can stand, it does help with the saddle soreness that truly is a thing . . . but only for the first few classes, after which one seems to toughen up. Don't worry, nothing about that "toughen up" interferes with . . . um . . . any other activities for which you might like to retain sensitivity, eh? ;) ).

If the instructor says to go to X rpm, and you truly can't do it, then maybe you can bump your rpm up a few. Or, if you can't, that's OK, too. Just keep pedaling.

Spin class is a thing you can do, truly. Start where you are, and make progress as you do more classes. It isn't like that stupid Planet Fitness commercial where people hiss at the new person. (WTactualF???!!) If it's even remotely close to that, find a different class, because that's not normal.

Every single person in the class was new once. If they don't remember that, and welcome/encourage you, they're not very nice people, and that's on them, not you.

Take a towel, and water. Try to arrive at class a little early. Tell the instructor you're brand new. Ask them to help you pick a bike that isn't usually ridden by an ultra-possessive regular ( :lol: ), and ask them to help you get it set up correctly for you. Ask what you need to know, if anything, about how they give instructions. Mention that you may make modifications because you're new (they should welcome this). Then, just keep pedaling (if you can) and have fun. It'll be great! :)

Have a good time!
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Take a bath with epson salt and a few sprinkles of pink himalayan salt. This will help the sore muscles.
  • pharmtechdon
    pharmtechdon Posts: 7 Member
    Regarding Overdoing things: I went to Anytime Fitness near me and wanted to see if I could do twice my bodyweight on the leg press machine. I knew not to let my legs go past the point where i could push the weight up, no problem there. I weigh about 173 so I wanted to go for a goal of 350 lb. I decided to start at 308 (the tare on the machine is 118 so totals come out uneven. anyway, I did 2 x10 reps of 308 lbs, and that night and the next day I had small amounts of blood in my urine. It went away the next day, but that was a subtle way to tell me, I have overdone it. So now I went in to do 258 lbs. and will work my way up. As they listen, or in this case watch what your body is saying to you.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Take a magnesium pill, get some epsom salts and add them to a hot bath. Soak.
  • Keliz1173
    Keliz1173 Posts: 186 Member

I've been doing spin classes since November and I absolutely love it. The first few classes hurt by butt more than anything. which goes away after a few classes.

I agree with the advice to pace yourself and just keep peddling. I find the music really awesome and motivating.

Good for you for trying something new!