February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @TheMrWobbly what are these jelly belly you speak of?

Today was a gentle 4k followed by a strength session. I had a little niggle in my ankle tendon at the beginning of my run that cleared up by the end. Different shoes. Will see how the day goes and the next two runs, but I think I'll be retiring those shoes. I was having niggles at work too. Granted was on my feet all day yesterday but I shouldn't be getting niggles.

Planning on a long run tomorrow. Looking forward to it, and a 3 day weekend!!

Feb 3 - 7k
    Feb 4 - 4k
    Feb 5 - 5.4k
    Feb 6 - 9k
    Feb 7 - 3k
    Feb 8 - 7k
    Feb 9 - 4.2k
    Feb 10 - 8k
    Feb 11 - 4k
    Feb 12 - 6.2k
    Feb 13 - 4k

Total: 74k
    Run streak - 55 days

these are the best jelly beans
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    @LoveyChar Oh I can not wait! Even if we've seen him before! Thankfully husband and I both love him!

PS. Good luck on Sunday
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    @LoveyChar Oh I can not wait! Even if we've seen him before! Thankfully husband and I both love him!

PS. Good luck on Sunday

Thank you...
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    @autumnblade75 Yeah, I really think it sounds like you would be better off replacing your drink with a product like TailWind or SkratchLabs Sport Hydration Drink Mix.

I'd been talking about Gatorade. As a replacement for water. It ticks all the boxes - hydration, electrolytes and fuel. This sounded like "But Not Gatorade, Ew."
    So, aside from hydration, electrolytes (salt) and fuel (sugar) what exactly am I failing to understand that I should be demanding from my sports drink? Yeah, caffeine would be nice, but it's not like I can't get that as a stand-alone either.

So I currently use Scaps (salt pills) + Propel (a Gatorade product) + gummies, so I might not be the person to answer this. :)

TailWind, Skratch, are just premixed and correctly done, easy street. I plan to try Skratch though the less thinking I do while I run the better. :)

Gatorade is also premixed and would let me to less thinking while I run, but if I was reading you correctly, is inferior to TailWind or SkratchLabs Sport Hydration Drink Mix? Because they do something unspecified somehow better than Gatorade? I'm still considering mixing my own salty Kool-Aid here, because I can then control how much sugar per hydration. Personalization, right? And definitely keeping the costs down.
    @autumnblade75 The cadence advice commonly given to runners doesn’t remain valid at slower speeds. 12+ minute pace at 170 cadence is hard because it’s not meant to be that way! Run at a natural cadence and don’t overstride and it will sort itself out. I swear I’ve seen more women who have read some dumb cadence article on the internet saying to aim for 180 - one poor soul looked like she was prancing in place pretending to be a pony. You don’t need to artificially increase your cadence.

I didn't address this before because it made me irrationally angry. If I didn't recognize that a cadence of 170 was going to be too much for such a slow run, I wouldn't have had to go to such lengths to avoid All My Favorite Parts of Running to attempt to test this Go Slower thing everyone keeps telling me about. When I'm faster, I have a 180 bpm playlist. It's too fast right now. I Don't have a 160 bpm playlist. I don't like to go that slow, and it hadn't been necessary since 2012 when I increased cadence gradually until my hips stopped hurting. I thought I knew something about cadence.

It's day 3 of the insomnia. I tried for a nap for 3 hours, and I feel worse than before. I am angry and angsty and would like to go for a run. It is a rest day and it would be good for me to Not Run. I'm trying to research replenishment, and all the articles seem to indicate that no-calorie beverages are ideal for fueling, which I know cannot be correct. Hydration and electrolyte replenishment, fine. But what's the taboo against drinking calories intentionally for fueling?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @TheMrWobbly what are these jelly belly you speak of?

Today was a gentle 4k followed by a strength session. I had a little niggle in my ankle tendon at the beginning of my run that cleared up by the end. Different shoes. Will see how the day goes and the next two runs, but I think I'll be retiring those shoes. I was having niggles at work too. Granted was on my feet all day yesterday but I shouldn't be getting niggles.

Planning on a long run tomorrow. Looking forward to it, and a 3 day weekend!!

Feb 3 - 7k
    Feb 4 - 4k
    Feb 5 - 5.4k
    Feb 6 - 9k
    Feb 7 - 3k
    Feb 8 - 7k
    Feb 9 - 4.2k
    Feb 10 - 8k
    Feb 11 - 4k
    Feb 12 - 6.2k
    Feb 13 - 4k

Total: 74k
    Run streak - 55 days

these are the best jelly beans

Ohhhh the brand bahaha. Yeah we get those, but I prefer the NZ made stuff, it's less waxy? I find those jelly belly ones leave a film in my mouth.

However I do like the various flavours they have!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,646 Member
    So, following @PastorVincent’s lead, I’ve recruited a running coach. I’m hoping for big things (a full set of new PBs, to be precise).

Woooo that's exciting! BTW I'm up your way on Tuesday, in town for Elton John! Staying in Newmarket.

Oh. Awesome. Elton John is an amazing performer. Also, if you want to run in the Domain on Tuesday sometime, let me know.

And yes, Jelly Belly. Best jelly beans available. Should be in your local supermarket and dairy. They're much smaller than Pascals jelly beans but have a stronger flavour and so many more flavours. Go buy some now.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,954 Member
    @Camaramandy648 Glad your kids are starting to feel better. I hope they get back to normal soon!

Today I played doubles tennis for 1.5 hours. Now that I have been running, I don't feel like this gives me much cardio, but I enjoy it and it's a great XT activity.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @autumnblade75 Yeah, I really think it sounds like you would be better off replacing your drink with a product like TailWind or SkratchLabs Sport Hydration Drink Mix.

I'd been talking about Gatorade. As a replacement for water. It ticks all the boxes - hydration, electrolytes and fuel. This sounded like "But Not Gatorade, Ew."
    So, aside from hydration, electrolytes (salt) and fuel (sugar) what exactly am I failing to understand that I should be demanding from my sports drink? Yeah, caffeine would be nice, but it's not like I can't get that as a stand-alone either.

So I currently use Scaps (salt pills) + Propel (a Gatorade product) + gummies, so I might not be the person to answer this. :)

TailWind, Skratch, are just premixed and correctly done, easy street. I plan to try Skratch though the less thinking I do while I run the better. :)

Gatorade is also premixed and would let me to less thinking while I run, but if I was reading you correctly, is inferior to TailWind or SkratchLabs Sport Hydration Drink Mix? Because they do something unspecified somehow better than Gatorade? I'm still considering mixing my own salty Kool-Aid here, because I can then control how much sugar per hydration. Personalization, right? And definitely keeping the costs down.
    @autumnblade75 The cadence advice commonly given to runners doesn’t remain valid at slower speeds. 12+ minute pace at 170 cadence is hard because it’s not meant to be that way! Run at a natural cadence and don’t overstride and it will sort itself out. I swear I’ve seen more women who have read some dumb cadence article on the internet saying to aim for 180 - one poor soul looked like she was prancing in place pretending to be a pony. You don’t need to artificially increase your cadence.

I didn't address this before because it made me irrationally angry. If I didn't recognize that a cadence of 170 was going to be too much for such a slow run, I wouldn't have had to go to such lengths to avoid All My Favorite Parts of Running to attempt to test this Go Slower thing everyone keeps telling me about. When I'm faster, I have a 180 bpm playlist. It's too fast right now. I Don't have a 160 bpm playlist. I don't like to go that slow, and it hadn't been necessary since 2012 when I increased cadence gradually until my hips stopped hurting. I thought I knew something about cadence.

It's day 3 of the insomnia. I tried for a nap for 3 hours, and I feel worse than before. I am angry and angsty and would like to go for a run. It is a rest day and it would be good for me to Not Run. I'm trying to research replenishment, and all the articles seem to indicate that no-calorie beverages are ideal for fueling, which I know cannot be correct. Hydration and electrolyte replenishment, fine. But what's the taboo against drinking calories intentionally for fueling?

Shoot, I’m sorry, I assumed you were trying to increase your cadence to 170!

I never use music when running outside, for safety reasons and also because I like natural sounds, so trying to sync a playlist isn’t something I have experience with.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    So, following @PastorVincent’s lead, I’ve recruited a running coach. I’m hoping for big things (a full set of new PBs, to be precise).

Woooo that's exciting! BTW I'm up your way on Tuesday, in town for Elton John! Staying in Newmarket.

Oh. Awesome. Elton John is an amazing performer. Also, if you want to run in the Domain on Tuesday sometime, let me know.

And yes, Jelly Belly. Best jelly beans available. Should be in your local supermarket and dairy. They're much smaller than Pascals jelly beans but have a stronger flavour and so many more flavours. Go buy some now.

Yeah I got to see him in New Plymouth about 12 years ago. I can't wait! Def keen for a run, but probably going to be in the middle of your school run, aiming to be out around 8am I think. We are literally just up for the night then traveling home the next day.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,646 Member

Yeah I got to see him in New Plymouth about 12 years ago. I can't wait! Def keen for a run, but probably going to be in the middle of your school run, aiming to be out around 8am I think. We are literally just up for the night then traveling home the next day.

Shame. Next time!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @Autumnblade75 - Gatorade has something like 1/3rd of the electrolytes, 1/2 the carbs, and so on. TailWind, Skratch Labs, and the like are all designed for the endurance sports and are more properly proportioned for it and have a wider spread of electrolytes than just sodium and none of the dyes and etc that Gatorade adds purely to make their product look good.

Gatorade is not at all in the same category as the other things we have been talking about. It did START this whole industry, but it is not the best choice anymore. The industry has gotten smarter, while Gatorade went more into the mainstream drink market and away from sports nutrition despite the marketing.

As someone up-thread said, races are even beginning to phase Gatorade out now for Nunn.

It is up to you, we are just giving you advice that we all learned from our personal experience of going through what you are. If you want to stick with Gatorade, go forth and drink. If you want something that might work better then there are other options that is all we are saying. :)

Your call, drink what you think works for you :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    A comment on cadence and music playlists. If you use Spotify there are running playlists for all different cadences. Granted you have to like the music on the playlist but you can save them and take out what you don't care for and make it your own. Just do a search on 'Running'
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    When you said "in town for Elton John" @Avidkeo it sounded like you were popping round for tea. Say hello to Reg for me if you are.

I'm with you on the slow pace @autumnblade75 and my 'easy pace' on the plan is a 12 minute mile which is my morning walking speed. I with stick with my 10+ minute miles and keep increasing the mileage once a week and some steady runs the other three days.

It's a bit dreich out there this morning! ☔

exercise.png