Protein powder.

Srsly. Is there a protein powder that doesn't taste absolutely awful?? I'm a female, I go to the gym 4-5 times a week & I'm trying to lose weight. Some days I just want a quick shake and I haven't found anything that doesn't taste gross...

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I'm making my way through a tub of Body Fortress Chocolate Peanut Butter that's pretty good but I only really use protein powder as a mix in for cottage cheese and greek yogurt.

I also liked Quest's Chocolate Milkshake and....er....Peanut Butter. :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I use unflavored (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey) however on its own it doesn't taste like much but I add chocolate milk, chocolate milk mix or add it to smoothies, yogurt, etc.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Why eat it if you hate it? Use triple 0 yogurt or cottage cheese in your shake for protein.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    BSN Syntha-6 Cookies 'n' Cream tastes like a milkshake. Their vanilla isn't bad either. MusclePharm Combat Cookies 'n' Cream is also not bad and they currently sell it at Costco for a decent price.

Stay away from ON Gold Standard vanilla. Pretty sure they use it to strip paint off walls when they run out of regular paint stripper, although regular paint stripper probably tastes better. :D
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    I drink Shakeology and think it's delicious.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    I tied a lot of different protein shakes and I love Quest. Really the best that I have tasted. But there are other ways to get protein. Try built bars for another protein source/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Srsly. Is there a protein powder that doesn't taste absolutely awful?? I'm a female, I go to the gym 4-5 times a week & I'm trying to lose weight. Some days I just want a quick shake and I haven't found anything that doesn't taste gross...

I think ON 100% whey isolate chocolate is pretty good...but if you don't like them, you don't need them. They're just a supplement, there's nothing magical about them. I supplement sometimes, but generally prefer to eat my protein.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    BSN Syntha-6 Cookies 'n' Cream tastes like a milkshake. Their vanilla isn't bad either. MusclePharm Combat Cookies 'n' Cream is also not bad and they currently sell it at Costco for a decent price.

Stay away from ON Gold Standard vanilla. Pretty sure they use it to strip paint off walls when they run out of regular paint stripper, although regular paint stripper probably tastes better. :D

+1

I love the vanilla milkshake syntha-6.

If you want quickness and convenience, there are also protein bars you could use- I like quest bars in general, although a couple flavors are gross. I also like musclepharm's combat crunch bars. I mention bars instead of powder because bars are easier to try 1 of a lot of flavors, as a lot of the time they're sold individually, where a lot of powders don't have a trial size readily available.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member

Lots of protein powders include sweeteners like stevia or sucrolose, which taste nasty to me, so try getting a sample of something that does not use sweeteners.

My brand is https://smile.amazon.com/Biochem-Ultimate-protein-Natural-24-6-Ounce/dp/B0015QSU9Q/

Also https://biochemprotein.com/products/whey-protein/regular/whey-protein-natural-1840/

Whey Protein Isolate 22g

Other Ingredients: Natural french vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum. Contains milk.

NO: Added sugars, yeast, wheat, soy, preservatives, artificial colors, artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners, magnesium stearate.

Note: this is for the Natural. The Vanilla is yuck IMO.

Also, I never have just PP and water - I always add fat and fiber.
  • idaevon
    idaevon Posts: 19 Member
    I love Humapro (drink it with water only) - pineapple, mandarin orange, peach, kiwi. One scoop with 26oz water.

I also use and love Isopure low carb dutch chocolate and drink it with water only (one scoop to about 10oz water)
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    BSN Syntha-6 Cookies 'n' Cream tastes like a milkshake. Their vanilla isn't bad either....

I can second this. I have been using the Vanilla Ice cream as a base for my shakes and it is really good. Seems to stay filling as well.