How do you stay motivated when you don't see any results?

I'm frustrated, to say the least. In the last 8 months, I've gained 20 pounds. Before that, my highest was 197. I was determined to never cross the line of 200 pounds. So I buckled down and lost 15 pounds. Well, apparently my determination was not enough. At the beginning of January, I stepped on the scale and weighed in at 203.1. I cried. I was so angry and disgusted with myself.
For the past 6 weeks, I've exercised every day. During the week, I get up at 4:30 every morning to make sure I get my workout in before I go to work. I've been doing a combination of walking outside, using the elliptical, walking on the treadmill (varying incline and speed to get my heart rate up) and using free weights. I'll also do various other aerobic/cardio workouts at home if I can't get to the gym like jump rope and jumping jacks. I work a desk job but I still make sure I get 10,000+ steps a day.
I've cleaned up my diet. Focusing more on lots of veggies, lean proteins and healthy grains. I've really reduced the processed foods and added sugar. I drink a gallon of water a day. If I need some caffeine, I do green tea with honey instead of my coffee with creamer. I've never been a soda/tea drinker.
Y'all...the scale hasn't moved. At all. Yes, my jeans fit slightly better. And I wholeheartedly agree that the scale shouldn't matter. I get it. But when you work so hard and that number doesn't change at all (in fact, it goes up sometimes), it really takes the wind out of your sails, so to speak.
And yes, I know that tracking every bite that goes into my mouth will help. But I'm the type of person that I need to track every little crumb so my food log is 100% accurate and I'll drive myself insane.
However, I'm back to MFP. Again. I'm going to try to keep a fairly accurate food log without obsessing over it.

So I guess my question is (now that I'm done venting)...how do you stay motivated when you aren't seeing results? Any suggestions to get out of this rut?

Replies

• ebeever115
    ebeever115 Posts: 42 Member
    No I do not. Like I said, I will become obsessive and drive myself crazy if I do that and I'm trying to avoid that! I've done that before and it starts to take over my life when I do it.
  • ebeever115
    ebeever115 Posts: 42 Member
    edited February 2020
    I do write down everything I eat every day though. So I do have some level of accountability. I just don't know the exact protein, carb, etc count of every little thing!
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    edited February 2020
    You aren't losing you are building a stronger leaner body. Muscle weighs more than fat. Don't let that discourage you I'm in the same boat right now!! I've lost 100lbs 3 separate times!! Have a kid gain it back....rinse and repeat!! I feel ya!! Keep at what you are doing. Build this routine and the results will be lasting life changing habits!! This isn't a diet that ends it's a life style your changing for forever!! You got this!! The scale will come around in time!! Feel the success in your body!! You can move more for longer healthy food tastes better and you start to crave it!! Don't let the scale be the judge of success it is a tool and that is all!! I needed to say all this today!! For me too thank you for sharing!!
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    Some days I just have coffee for breakfast, then combine breakfast and lunch into brunch, have a protein shake in the afternoon, exercise at dinnertime to kill my appetite somewhat, and try to eat just a small dinner. What kills me is the late evening cravings.
  • ang82much
    ang82much Posts: 30 Member
    To answer the OP question, i try to make 'the process' the motivation and not the scale. So reflecting on whether i've eaten well or exercised ok each day.

So my motivation is to get a healthy tick in my chart for each day, or each week (and the scales can do what they want because if the process is happening the scales will comply eventually, and if not and i'm not happy then i need to change the process). At least this way you can 100% control whether you achieve your aims or not.
  • CntryGirl78
    CntryGirl78 Posts: 19 Member
    My thoughts. Are you eating ENOUGH? When I get really strict about my food, I find I don’t eat enough. As soon as I increased my calorie intake by 200 the weight started to drop. So really look at how much you’re eating and are you eating enough?
  • kazanshell
    kazanshell Posts: 6 Member
    Good for you for all the changes you have done and the commitment you have shown! Getting out of bed early to exercise-WOW! If you keep doing what you have been doing the scale will follow. You have got this! You are dedicated! Keep up the great work!
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    I think you are on the right track. You are moving more and making better food choices. Keep going in the right direction and give it time. Maybe join a few groups on mfp, keeps me focused and I feel like I have a team behind me.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Why do you have late night cravings?
    I can’t answer for you, but I can tell you what happens to me.
    If I don’t have protein soon after I wake up, I play catch up all day. I keep getting hungrier and hungrier all day long, and by bedtime, I’m really hangry!
    @88olds suggested intermittent fasting, so obviously he doesn’t have the same problem.

So what’s your story?

• Be_theBest_Me
    edited February 2020
    ...have you all forgotten what happens at the beginning of the journey???? You count it all track it all and bust your *kitten* and the scale does the opposite of what you want for the first few weeks. Sometimes longer. She flat out said she is seeing results in her clothes!! That means what she is doing is working!! I've done this 3 separate times!! Each time is the same. Measure your body!! Look for positive results in all areas not just the scale!! I can run faster and longer....the scale doesn't agree but that doesn't mean I'm not doing what's right!! Seems to me yall have been kinda mean to this lady!! I think she is doing great and needs to keep it up!!! Progress doesn't happen over night it takes time. Thyroid condition and other body ailments can change the way anyone's body loses or gains. Guess y'all forgot where you came from in all this. The beginning you have to fight without visual results and sometimes it takes time to get that scale to fall in line!!! REAL LIFE!!
  • Be_theBest_Me
    ...have you all forgotten what happens at the beginning of the journey???? You count it all track it all and bust your *kitten* and the scale does the opposite of what you want for the first few weeks. Sometimes longer. She flat out said she is seeing results in her clothes!! That means what she is doing is working!! I've done this 3 separate times!! Each time is the same. Measure your body!! Look for positive results in all areas not just the scale!! I can run faster and longer....the scale doesn't agree but that doesn't mean I'm not doing what's right!! Seems to me yall have been kinda mean to this lady!! I think she is doing great and needs to keep it up!!! Progress doesn't happen over night it takes time. Thyroid condition and other body ailments can change the way anyone's body loses or gains. Y'all are some *kitten* holes!! Guess y'all forgot where you came from in all this. The beginning you have to fight without visual results and sometimes it takes time to get that scale to fall in line!!! REAL LIFE!!

Nobody is being mean to her. We are sharing what works or has worked for us. I lost a good portion of my weight the first few weeks and months. I weighed every thing that went into my mouth. It works! that is facts, not meanness. Do you want solutions or cheerleading?

Sometimes you need a little solutions and cheers. Sometimes it helps to hear you are making progress when the scale says your not!!! Men always shred right away and I did too the first two times I lost weight......then thyroid became a raging *kitten*!!! This time...the beginning has been a *kitten*. Eating right measuring my portions drinking my water doing my cardio and killing my workouts....scale goes up then flat then up then down....took almost 2 months this time to see it move....you had to flat out say.....I'm not being mean....that is a tell that it was kinda rude.....y'all remember this is different for everyone!! Don't hate the way I share my success and support!! That whole dislike button is a crock of *kitten* y'all!! Your opinion and process is valid no matter what anyone else says!! I'm sure you had a few cheerleaders along the way that made success a lot easier during the times of struggle!!! It ain't always just about what you put in....it's about how your mind processes what's happening in your body!! This journey is more mental than physical!! All day!!!